Bent/stuck valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bent/stuck valves?

Hey guys, so I just picked up my first e30; a 1989 325i 2-door and we were just doing basic tune up to the m20 to get it running right. So far, it's running VERY rough; it will start but almost choke on start and idle funny immediately afterwards but once it gets up to speed though, it will idle marginally fine/rough. It started throwing Lambda 1 code 1222 (verified through the stomp test), but went away after some spirited driving and new gas.

The car has sat unused for the better part of a year. So far, we found out that the timing belt/water pump and headgasket was done through the PO, just changed the thermostat and got some fresh oil in the m20, have ordered a new fan clutch and, just finished spark plugs and a valve adjustment set at .25mm.

Only problem is, when we did a compression test, all cylinders had good compression (145+ cold) except cylinder 1 and 6: there was no compression at all. Cylinder 1 had compression the first time we ran the test, but it only shot up to 90 until it quit (which is why we retested it a found a retest didn't register any compression from then on)

I'm really at a loss and am scratching my head on this one. When I did the valve adjustment, cylinder 1's intake valve and cylinder 6's exhaust valve look slughtly more sunk in than the rest of them at TDC, but not by much.

I'm figuring the valves could possibly be stuck or bent which is causing them not to seat right and read zero compression? If it is indeed stuck valves (my first hunch), what could be the possible remedy for it? What else could cause zero compression?

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks guys
    sigpic

Timing could be way off. Broken rockers. Valve retainers broken. Anyway check timing first.

Comment

It's definitely not broken rockers
      We just did the valve adjustment and the rockers and retainers were all there

Comment

Run a leak down test. That should tell you if the problem is in the head or cylinders.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

time for s54
          world renown Harry Potter expert
          sigpic

Comment

Update:

Worked over the car all day today to verify timing was done correctly (it was)

Late at night when we were refilling the cooling system, we noticed only air was coming out of the thermostat bleeder screw and the coolant was regurgitating out of the coolant reservoir with lots of bubbles (almost like compression is leaking into the cooling system)

We have a leak down scheduled for Monday, so we can update with more information then

Comment

Working...
            X