Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Overheated

Hello y'all,

I recently got the idea to take my E30 that I usually only drive fast on nice and windy country side roads on my daily commute through the city.

M20B20
    Cold day 16C/61F

So driving through the city to Uni this morning I noticed smoke coming from under my bonnet and then I noticed the temp gauge was all the way at the top.

I parked the car immediately.

I came back in the afternoon and got a closer look at it. I filled the reservoir up with water and could hear it trickling out of the thermostat housing. I found a hose disconnected with a metal "plug thingy" at the end. I pushed the plug into the thermostat housing, topped of the reservoir with water and started the car gave her some throttle a couple of times and refilled again.

The head gasket was perfectly fine and the engine oil is nice and black. (=

It's difficult to get a pic of the thing that came off but according to this guide: http://garagistic.com/index.php?page...-heater-delete

It's this part he punches out:

AKA: throttle heater snout

I'm not sure if the car overheated and shot out the throttle heater hose or the other way around.

I didn't use much force to get it back in again, and I am worried it might shoot out again.

What to do? =/

Spread some locktite around the thing and press it back on.

Comment

I capped that port off drill and tap and put in a cap .. Also cap off the other side on the block ..
      Well in second thought I'm in Cali it doesn't get to cold here so I don't need it but you might just another option .. I haven't had any problems with it capped

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
        Spread some locktite around the thing and press it back on.
        Good idea!

I got the thermostat housing off and got a good look at the stupid thing.

It was really easy to plug and unplug the thing.

Solution:
        I got a conical punch and inserted in the hole of the inner sleeve and punched it down a bit and the inner sleeve expanded. I then got some rough sand paper and sanded it down until finally it fitted, just barely. (=

And some blue locktite on top of that and I think I got a pretty secure fit of the thing. (=

And another thing;
        There has always been a tiny puddle of coolant under the car just about the spot directly under the thermostat housing. I never found the source, but I think this was it! (=

Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Tonybeemer View Post
          I capped that port off drill and tap and put in a cap .. Also cap off the other side on the block ..
          Well in second thought I'm in Cali it doesn't get to cold here so I don't need it but you might just another option .. I haven't had any problems with it capped
          Hey Tony,

Deleting the heater hoses wouldn't be a problem for warmer climates. I'm in Sweden where you know it's cold when the moose is blue. =p So I think I better keep the damn thing in spite of the headaches.

Comment

Working...
          X