Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

m42 swap into a e21 - who's site was that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m42 swap into a e21 - who's site was that?

anyone remember the link?

George Graves
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

never mind....

Comment

yeah that's nic's car (i don't think he signed up on here....yet. he was on e3s about a months before it closed). his e21 is pretty peppy on the power too (he walked an e36 328i going up hill)....and leaves nearly stock e21 320i's in the dust (<--hehe, that's from personal experience :( ).
      but the engine swap isn't the only cool thing about his car....check out his suspension...true coilovers w/ 24 bound/rebound settings
      m10 engine build photogallery

Comment

Yea, that look like a col swap - and the m42's are cheap...

Only prolbem is that the swap is not a dop in deal(who would have thought going from a 4 banger to a 4 banger would be so much work.

I woundering - does the m42 use a different sumframe/mounting points on the e30?

Seems like since you can easily drop a m20 into a e21 with using a e21 323i front subframe, that you could drop a M42 into a e21 using that same euro e21 323i subframe!

Wounder if that works....???

George

Comment

i don't think the 6 cyl e21 subframes would make swaping the m42 any easier.....altho i'm not sure if the e21 m20's have the same exact mounting points on the subframe as the e30 m20's (i don't know anyone who's done the m20 swap into a 4cyl e21 to verify this)

another alternative would be to modify the e21 m10's motor mount arms to bolt onto the m42....or retro-fit an e30 subframe into the e21 (may need to modify the steering rack too). it seems nic's method was the easiest/best (and probably cheapest) route.....he just ended up welding shims on the stock subframe so the m42's motor mounts would sit properly (and trimmed the steering-rack case so the oil pan would clear).

Comment

Well from what I understand the m20 will "drop right in" a e21 once you replace the subframe with a "euro" subframe 6 cly "323i" subframe

So you can drop a m20 right into a M42 318is right ?????? right?

Then it would seem to make sence that an m42, would drop into a e21 with the euro e21 subframe...I'll ask the guys on roadfly...but just woundered if anyone knew...

I just think an m20 is a bit to heave for such a light car such as an e21 - the m42 should sit a bit further back, and has a nice fun free spinning spirit - it would complement the e21 well...

George Graves

Comment

Friend of mine got a e21 with a m42 in it, i'll see if i can find some pics.

Comment

george, yeah that's what i was starting to think.
                but since i'm pretty sure that the mounting braces for the e21 m10 differ from the e30 m10....i'm not sure if the e21 m20's are the same way w/ the e30 m20's.
                (i have a spare e30 m10 in the garage...and visually, the mounting braces look different than my 320i)

actually what u should do, to try and confirm this, is...
                -first find out for sure that the mounting points on the e30 subframe w/ the m20 & m42 are the exact same;
                -then talk to some knowledable e21 6-cylinder owners (i would suggest u get in contact w/ Tricord & RDAvena on tricord's forum), and hopefully they might know if the e21 m20's & e30 m20's mount exactly the same.....in other words an e30 m20 (including the e30 m20's mounting braces/arms) will bolt right into an e21 6cyl.

also there may be some clearnce issues, especially w/ the oil pan.....i suggest u email nic @ m42power@bimmerboys.com to see if he has any insight to give you.

but IMHO, unless u already have the e21 6-cylinder subframe (or can get it for next to nothing), it's gonna cost more to purchase that subframe than it is to get shims welded (like nic did) at a local shop. from what i've seen, the6-cyl subframes usually sell between 100 to 250 (depending on condition and how desperate the seller is)

Comment

Working...
                X