M20 dieing when idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 dieing when idling

Just finished up part of my build and when taking her for a test drive the car died a couple of times. Its a 1990 e30 m20 with a hot head (cam, HD rockers, valve springs, etc.), 19lb injectors and tubular headers (bav auto headers). I figured it could be a sticky ICV so i sprayed some penetrating oil inside but have not tested it since then.

I understand that the cam is going to give me a lumpy idle but it shouldn't be dieing on me. Any help is appreciated

-Chris
    sigpic

You need a chip with a tune designed for 19lb injectors, I don't think they'll work with the stock Ecu.

Comment

Originally posted by E30-325iS View Post
      You need a chip with a tune designed for 19lb injectors.
      Seconded. Without the tune those are WAY to big for motronic to compensate for. You're just dumping fuel in there.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I know im going to need a tune and it is on the list. my buddy is running 19lbs on a stock e30 and his car doesn't die at idle but it doesn't run as good as it could with a chip..it doesn't really make sense to me if it were the injectors

I will be running a sssquid tuning chip within a couple weeks and see if that helps but i dont think that just because im running bigger injectors its going to die on me almost every time i hit a stop light/stop sign.

Any other suggestions? TPS? Bad ICV? Or is everyone stuck on the injectors being to big?
        sigpic

Comment

So I've been thinking about everything and im starting to see what you guys were saying with the bigger injectors. Im going to get an o2 sensor installed, and lean out the AFM and see if that helps any.
          sigpic

Comment

Leave the AFM alone, or you'll have trouble getting it right again you get the chip.
            IMO you are better off waiting until you get the chip.

Comment

Originally posted by cgk_iii View Post
              and lean out the AFM and see if that helps any.
              Nooooo! BAD juju!

Just get the tune.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Went to junkyard today and got m50 injectors since im going to be getting a sssquid tuning chip through bimmerheads. Based on the description of the tune, it seems as if they have better success with the m50 injectors.

Also picked up a couple o2 sensors and spliced them together in order for the length to work with the new location on the mid pipes. Hopefully that helps until the tune comes in.
                sigpic

Comment

Make sure the O2 sensor is working or the ECU won't adapt to the new injectors as it has no way of getting feedback.

Comment

Working...
                  X