Timing belt Tensioner spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt Tensioner spring question

I'm doing the timing belt and tensioner on the car but had a question about installing the tensioner and the mechanism of how this thing works.

What is the appropriate way to install it? How does the tensioner spring actually help if the tensioner itself is bolted to the block? Also the spring seems super weak (the original and the brand new one).

I've read the write ups on installation but feel like I am either missing something or misreading it. Is the tensioner supposed to be super tightly bolted the engine?

1990 325i Coupe Auto
    1987 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
    1989 325i Cabriolet Auto (sold)
    1991 325i Coupe Auto (sold)
    1991 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
    1991 325i Coupe Auto (sold)
    1990 325i Sedan Auto (sold)
    1984 318i Coupe Auto (sold)

When you let it go the spring sets the tension, and when you tighten the bolt down to lock it in place you're locking it in at that tension.

Comment

Install spring and tensioner fully compressed, tighten down and lock it.

Install timing belt, and when that is situated, loosen the bolt(s), to release the spring. It will tension the belt.

Hand crank the engine a few cycles, and lock down the bolts. The spring is only meant to tension it before locking it in, it not used permanently like a serpentine belt tensioner. Just for setting proper tension.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
      X