No announcement yet.

got a new toy in the mail today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always keep the aftermarket chip with the smt6, what is it with raising the rev limit ?

its not like our cars produce more power after 6,500 rpm, unless its a heavy modded engine.

Comment

That's really starting to look pretty nice, I'm kind of confused as to why you'd go to the trouble on a stock m20 with a slushbox, but to each their own. I like having other people be the guinea pigs anyway. :twisted:

A couple of quick questions, how does it interface with the laptop, USB or serial? I haven't owned a laptop with a serial hookup in 3 years, so that's something I'd like to know beforehand :

Gunni, I take it $290 USD is the new price, do you see that changing (ie, going up) any time in the near future? Also, do you know of anyone running it on an m20 with a MAF setup? My idea a little bit down the road is for a Mass Air system mated to the Dbilas/BMP multi-throttle intake manifold, so the SMT6 looks like a relatively cheap way of getting that tuned.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
        That's really starting to look pretty nice, I'm kind of confused as to why you'd go to the trouble on a stock m20 with a slushbox, but to each their own. I like having other people be the guinea pigs anyway. :twisted:

A couple of quick questions, how does it interface with the laptop, USB or serial? I haven't owned a laptop with a serial hookup in 3 years, so that's something I'd like to know beforehand :

Gunni, I take it $290 USD is the new price, do you see that changing (ie, going up) any time in the near future? Also, do you know of anyone running it on an m20 with a MAF setup? My idea a little bit down the road is for a Mass Air system mated to the Dbilas/BMP multi-throttle intake manifold, so the SMT6 looks like a relatively cheap way of getting that tuned.

-Charlie
        yeah, Stefan, his partner, is using a e36 320i MAF with his turbo setup and the SMT6 I think...that's what I will do, once I get my SMT6 in my hands I will put my MAF (probably these days)
        Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

from what i understand, the revlimit is set by the chip inside the ecu. you can raise it by putting in a custom/JimC chip.
          Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
          '99 M3 / Track Car
          '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
          '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegle
            from what i understand, the revlimit is set by the chip inside the ecu. you can raise it by putting in a custom/JimC chip.
            yeah, but you need to buy that piece of plastic with some modify memory wich means additional 250$ for just the revs? noway!! I will keep my stock revs, it's enough...
            Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

@charlie: its a total learning experience for me. this is my first car and well... you gotta start somewhere =) Anywho, my ultimate plans are to run a turbo setup and if my AT starts to slip, i'll just convert to a 5spd.

the SMT6 connects using SERIAL.

Yes you can run a MAF, i've heard of a 320i maf and an e36 maf being used. I'm planning to use the same maf from a porsche 928 S4 since my garage mate has one laying around i can play with. Its a bosch unit like our cars, and the connector is almost identical except for 1 pin. If it doesn't work, i'll try something else.
              Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Damn, that's what I figured.

Gunni, or anyone in general, do you know anyone that's run this by hooking it up to a serial-USB converter? I've had some devices flake out on me when I attempt to use a converter cable, so I'm curious how this would behave.

-Charlie
                '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                FYYFF

Comment

Damn, that's what I figured.

Gunni, or anyone in general, do you know anyone that's run this by hooking it up to a serial-USB converter? I've had some devices flake out on me when I attempt to use a converter cable, so I'm curious how this would behave.

-Charlie
                  Do you have a parallel port? You can also try the parallel > serial. Which USB > Serial did you try and what device was it with?

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
                    [

Do you have a parallel port? You can also try the parallel > serial. Which USB > Serial did you try and what device was it with?
                    No, the unit doesn't. It's a dell x200 sub-notebook, and I didn't bother to splurge for the docking station. I've just got a general USB - serial convertor, it's been flaky with a few handhelds, but works on others. Some devices just have problems assigning com ports when they're hooked through USB.

-Charlie
                    FYYFF

Comment

No, the unit doesn't. It's a dell x200 sub-notebook, and I didn't bother to splurge for the docking station. I've just got a general USB - serial convertor, it's been flaky with a few handhelds, but works on others. Some devices just have problems assigning com ports when they're hooked through USB.

-Charlie
                      If you're using a cable converter, try an actual unit...I forget the name of the Co. but its a purple and yellow box...I used to work @ Best Buy and I had those work for some people when the actual cable wouldn't..worth a shot and you can always return it for your $$ back too..

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine

If you're using a cable converter, try an actual unit...I forget the name of the Co. but its a purple and yellow box...I used to work @ Best Buy and I had those work for some people when the actual cable wouldn't..worth a shot and you can always return it for your $$ back too..
                        Danke Shoen, I will keep that in mind.

-Charlie
                        FYYFF

Comment

Danke Shoen, I will keep that in mind.

-Charlie
                          Kein problem

Comment

Although I think its gay that you want to turbo an auto car, you can also be my guinee pig with running the SMT-6 to tune a MAF. I plan to do that on my next car.

Tuning the unit is fun... trust me :)

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

i just don't see the point of changing it to a 5spd until the transmission fails or no longer can hold the power. I'll have plenty of stuff to do in the meantime before a 5spd conversion. Sure the automatic sucks balls, but it still goes when you push the pedal.

Also, if I can find a usb/serial converter i would give it a try and see if it works on my laptop.
                              Michael Spiegle

'99 M3 / Track Car

Comment

Sure the automatic sucks balls, but it still goes when you push the pedal.
                                to a certain extent... it has to spin up that heavy torque converter. A German automatic will never equal a German manual transmission

Comment

Working...
                                X