off topic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

off topic question

im just wondering about an idle problem on an 89 honda prelude. i know you guys dont wana talk about honda stuff, but dont even think that were talking about one, this could be a universal problem.
    well anyway, a bud of mine bought an 98 prelude the other day and it came with a few mods (that he didnt want) one being a cool air intake. Well the problem is that the idle will jump around, and it seems to depend on temperature and how long the car has been running. it jumps from around 1000 to 1500 when you are sitting at idle, but it doesnt do it when you are sitting in nutral going 30mph but as soon as you come to a stop (in nutral) it starts to jump around again. its quite annoying sitting at a stoplight hearing, WAHHH wahhh WAHHH wahhh.
    the owner of the car before my bud says taht the problem wasnt there until he installed the intake (not just a cone, it has teh whole aluminum tube and shit). it looks to be installed ok except there are a few hoses not hooked up "floating" around in the engine bay. that doesnt seem to present a problem because nothing is moving through them.
    it is a wierd problem because we have tryed a few things to fix it and have gotten no where. we came up with a few problems/solutions and we hoped that mabye you guys no something we dont
    1. bad o2 sensor
    2. there is some kinda funky air temp sensor we dont know about
    3. there is a hose not hooked up that we missed
    4. fuck it and try and find a stock airbox at a junkyard (our solution at the moment)

ps. that intake sucks HARD. i have a cone on my e30 and it doesnt sound any different at idle (than the box), but you can hear this thing from 100 feet away, it is as loud as the aftermarket exhaust.
    98 M3/4/5

I'd bet those "Random" hoses have something to do with it...
    Vacuum lines perhaps?
    Below the radar...

Comment

i would check the coolant level, and the coolant temperature sender. honda's computer relys on the coolant temp ALOT, so much so though that the idle will me erratic because of low coolant. exactly the way you are explaining it.

try that first if that doesn't work get back to me

-Cam
      Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

It's almost garaunteed that those extra hoses are vacuum lines, and a vacuum leak is causing the bad idle.

All the honda guys around here automatically say vacuum leak for a bad idle.

Comment

Working...
        X