e30mclow's e30 #14 - Going 1JZ + 6 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    Do you have a forward mount shifter on the trans? If not, that'd help a bit.
    Never knew that option even existed! Upon google search and looking down through the stock e30 hole, the CBF Performance shifter would bring the shifter right out about there......$500 though....eeek

Comment

Oof. Yeah, that's a bit steep. Nevertheless, personally I'd be inclined to bite the bullet anyway, for the sake of getting the shifter into a much more ideal location closer to the steering wheel, and also for the sake of being able to have the interior look a bit more factory, with the shifter coming out where the stock one did.

Comment

Some progress in the last week.

Managed to load up the sc300 and weigh it in for scrap. $99.90 in the pocket!
        I don't know myself with the room it has created.

Of course loading it on the trailer was a little painful, especially when the drain plug snagged as I was winching it up, thus spewing lovely black oil all over the driveway.

My engine & trans mounts finally arrived, which allowed me to get things closer to the home position.
        I'll need to grind a sliver off of one engine mount to accommodate the HKS wastegate, but otherwise it seems to all line up well.

I'm hoping to be able to cheat things back another 2" once I make an adjustment to the trans mount.

One solution to the shifter position is this setup, but the chap that makes them is notorious for taking people's money and keeping them waiting for up to 6MO.

After chatting with a guy in the Auto-X club (the chap with the spaceframed Ford Ranger pictured earlier in the thread), he reckons a very tidy job could be done to make up a center console to suit the alternate shifter position. things may need to go that route.

I'm home next weekend for 3 days, so I've been getting a few bits together to bring back to the US with me. I was on the hunt for some iS sideskirts, but I was so out of touch I had no idea that e30 parts are going for crazy money at home. I found a pair but the exchange rate made them uneconomical. Yesterday I was sitting in the garage wondering how I'm ever going to move ALL of the parts I've amassed, when my forgotten pair of Audi S4 skirts caught my eye. Just like everything else I'm hoarding, I'll NEVER do anything with them, so I decided to see how they lined up on the e30 - just for the craic.

Literally half an hour later I had one trimmed/shaped/painted and mocked up on the car. At the risk of being a chav I'm not planning on using them at this point, it was more so an experiment.

It actually lined up pretty well, especially they way I made it fit beneath the door and rest on the inner sill/door jamb. The underside rests right against the sill of the e30, so they'll clamp right up + the jacking points are spot on.
        I may trim some more along the rear quarter and make them sit more flush like I did the fronts wings, but wanted to have a little front to back taper to start with.

The paint was the remnants of an old rattle can I had, so I could see the lines.

Not bad for costing $0. May make some automotive velcro mounts and see how I like them.

I was also doing a little driving this weekend. Of the 5 runs I had 4 passengers wanting to jump in and experience the sideways Irish flavor, which can only add time when you factor in the average weight of an American male in their 30s-40s. On the last run I had to say no and go solo.

Here was my first run with a passenger.

Last edited by e30mclow; 07-18-2018, 06:07 AM.

Comment

I got some work done this weekend. I had to grind some meat off of the passenger side engine mount in order to clear the HKS wastegate, but I'm happy to see the engine and trans fully mated up and sitting in an e30.

The CD009 trans hangs a little low, but it should be OK.

I made up linkage to retain the stock e30 shifter position, so I'm now able to select all 6 forwards and reverse nicely. I'll refine things once it is time to drop it all in the white car.

I also fitted a set of smileys that I brought home from Ireland 2 weeks ago.

While there I checked on the e30s that I left parked.....10years ago now...

A quick Auto-X vid from yesterday:

Comment

Lots of work achieved over the long weekend.

Friday afternoon:
            - Engine and box out of the white car

Saturday:
            - Air Con removals and major cleanup
            - Removed sound deadening
            - Addressed any surface rust
            - Removed Servo
            - Made room for the intercooler piping
            - Re-wrapped the wiring harness
            - Removed front subframe

Sunday:
            - Reinforced, painted and reinstalled front subframe
            - Removed brake pedal assembly
            - Removed interior

Monday:
            - Modified the brake pedal to alter the master cylinder rod location (moving it over and up out of the way of the engine)
            - Marked up and cut the trans tunnel
            - Jacked out the tunnel for the CD009
            - Removed the 1J and box from the test car
            - Test fitted the CD009 into the white car (ran out of energy, but it'll eventually sit 3" further back)

I'm making a removable lower rad/IC support, which allows the engine and box to slide forward 5-6", making removing the gearbox easy.

Needs to be slid back another 3", but you get the idea

Head home for a wedding this week, then it'll hopefully be a case of servicing the 1J before dropping it into place.

Comment

Having mixed feelings about this. Someone had done an SR20 turbo e30 and I at first I questioned but after thinking about it 4cyl turbo its gotta be so much fun to drive.
              1992 325i Convertible - "project"
              1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Meh, 2.5 24V Turbo isn't unusual for an e30, this just has a different makers stamp on it.

Comment

This is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
                    Meh, 2.5 24V Turbo isn't unusual for an e30, this just has a different makers stamp on it.
                    And about 250-300lbs heavier

Nice to see someone building the car they want though
                    1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Getting there

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
                        And about 250-300lbs heavier
                        Is it really that much heavier?

I'd like to see a front/rear weight once this car is done. You managed to fit the engine quite nicely in the bay there...
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                          Is it really that much heavier?

I'd like to see a front/rear weight once this car is done. You managed to fit the engine quite nicely in the bay there...
                          I'm not sure how much the weight of the C0009 changes things but a Supra 2jz (twin turbo) and transmission tips the scale at over 700lbs.

From what I see the e30 is already just a tad nose heavy with the M20. Going turbo adds a small percentage 2.5-3%. 24v and turbo are just a little heavier than the m30 so you're probably looking at 3-4% increase in weight up there. But going 2jz is probably in the 9.5-11% increase in overall weight (assuming we're talking about a standard e30 full interior etc) at the nose of the car.

I don't think it would be seriously be detrimental to the car as long as its not going to be on tight twisty auto-Xs. For a street/highway car or back road car it would probably be a riot.
                          1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
                            I'm not sure how much the weight of the C0009 changes things but a Supra 2jz (twin turbo) and transmission tips the scale at over 700lbs.

From what I see the e30 is already just a tad nose heavy with the M20. Going turbo adds a small percentage 2.5-3%. 24v and are just a little heavier than the m30 then add a turbo so you're probably looking at 3-4% increase in weight up there. But going 2jz is probably in the 9.5-11% increase in overall weight (assuming we're talking about a standard e30 full interior etc) at the nose of the car.

I don't think it would be seriously be detrimental to the car as long as its not going to be on tight twisty auto-Xs. For a street/highway car or back road car it would probably be a riot.
                            1990 325i Cashmere Beige

Comment

Made some progress last month before having to leave the US for a while.

Intercooler piping/routing/blow off valve location

Made a trans tunnel brace/rear trans mount. The last of the bolt holes aren't drilled as I wan to have some movement while I set the exact final spot.

Removed and cleaned up some pieces

Painted the block

Changed the oil/plugs/belts

Notched the subframe to clear the HKS Wastegate/Dump Pipe

Bought a Garrett core turbo

Fit a solid steering guibo while the engine was out

Garagistic gauge holder

Dropped it all back in and pushed it back into the driveway

After all of that, I threw winter tires on the Audi and headed for Canada.

Seems as though this administration is making it more difficult for managerial types to renew their Visas. No biggy, it'll all get fixed.
                              I tried submitting photos of my e30 with the visa extension application, you know, just in case they were impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by e30mclow View Post
                                After all of that, I threw winter tires on the Audi and headed for Canada.

Seems as though this administration is making it more difficult for managerial types to renew their Visas. No biggy, it'll all get fixed.
                                I tried submitting photos of my e30 with the visa extension application, you know, just in case they were impressed.
                                If they arent, send them pics doing a burnout next time
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X