Low on Power (obd1 m52)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    Seems I have about the same issue as you. obd1 swapped m52b28, stock everything running a red label 413.

When coming to a stop, car in neutral, foot depressing brake, the revs go from about 700 then to 1k rpms...till I'm stopped, then it levels out. Also, at times, just as I put the clutch in to go to neutral, it will die. Doesn't happen often but it does that as well. This is with or without the AC on. IAC is good.
    sounds exactly like my issue, just that its all at a bit higher rpms on my end.

if you find a solution for that, please post back on this thread :)
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
      sounds exactly like my issue, just that its all at a bit higher rpms on my end.

if you find a solution for that, please post back on this thread :)
      Will do, and if you happen to find a solution let me know as well. More than likely gonna let a mechanic look at mine.
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Will do, and if you happen to find a solution let me know as well. More than likely gonna let a mechanic look at mine.
        Sounds good. I will definitely keep updating this thread as i attempt to fix the problem, cant wait for the update that I do finally fix the issue. Ive been at it for 3 months now. :/

Going to try a "cigar" smoke test tomorrow to see if i can spot any vacuum leaks, and check the exhaust back pressure just to rule it out. My car seemed to produce a suction noise on cold starts that seems to get louder, so I am going to inspect tomorrow morning. I can see a steady stream of smoke out of the exhaust so I don't think that's the issue, but i want to rule everything out at this point that I can.
        Current:
        1989 325i
        1988 M3
        1987 325ic
        Past:
        2001 330ci
        2001 M3

Comment

i am having a similar issue with my 325e. it will fall off its face and would buck down at 70-75 or around 35 mph. cleaned icv multiple times and that fixed it for a short time but the problem always came back. changed spark plugs and ordered a coil and fuel filter.

Comment

smoked tested car, no leaks. pretty much have my issues down to the possibility of:

-vanos seals (although this should cause idle issues which i am experiencing)
            -bad o2 (o2 is less than 2 years old)
            -bad chip (trm)
            -bad harness
            Current:
            1989 325i
            1988 M3
            1987 325ic
            Past:
            2001 330ci
            2001 M3

Comment

Low on Power (obd1 m52)

Well, you’re getting there. I’d start with a new o2 just as a precautionary and maintenance item and work from there. Chip should be easy to swap if you know someone who also has a similar setup.... hopefully it’s not the Harness. Is it fully modified or do you have an adapter...

I just had a random idea. Since you’re in MN, if the o2 doesn’t do anything and it appears to be electrical have you considered upgrading to a OBD2 setup with all the BS deleted from it? Better diagnostics should another issue arise
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I've thought about going from obd1 to obd2, was told that that would be a big process to complete.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd

Comment

I had the clutch die thing happen and then I replaced the pcv and it’s been fine

Comment

Originally posted by shootnjunky View Post
                    I had the clutch die thing happen and then I replaced the pcv and it’s been fine
                    clutch die thing?
                    1990 325is
                    m52b28
                    3.73lsd

Comment

"Also, at times, just as I put the clutch in to go to neutral, it will die"

^this

Comment

Originally posted by shootnjunky View Post
                        "Also, at times, just as I put the clutch in to go to neutral, it will die"

^this
                        aww ok, yeah that's what mine does
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Well, you’re getting there. I’d start with a new o2 just as a precautionary and maintenance item and work from there. Chip should be easy to swap if you know someone who also has a similar setup.... hopefully it’s not the Harness. Is it fully modified or do you have an adapter...

I just had a random idea. Since you’re in MN, if the o2 doesn’t do anything and it appears to be electrical have you considered upgrading to a OBD2 setup with all the BS deleted from it? Better diagnostics should another issue arise
                          Modified harness. Have definitely considered new harness with adapter and or going obd2.

I have tried a different ecu, both with my trm chip and stock chip.

Going to unplug the o2 and see if there are any changes. I will be doing vanos seals once it gets warmer.
                          Last edited by jhaurimn; 04-02-2018, 06:05 AM.
                          Current:
                          1989 325i
                          1988 M3
                          1987 325ic
                          Past:
                          2001 330ci
                          2001 M3

Comment

I seemed to have fixed my idle bouncing issue.

I had replaced my icv with a used oem one on ebay to eliminate that as a cause of my power issues. It did not fix my power issues however I believe thats when my idle bouncing issues started.

Heres what I did (in order) that led to my idle issues getting better (at least for now its better)

-I had swapped back to my old icv after realizing nothing was wrong with it
                            -I took the seal off my oil fill cap, cleaned the gasket, and flipped it upside down to make sure there wasnt a vacuum leak there

After this, I was still having the issues until I reset my ecu and it re-learned idle. Now my idle is lower, and the idle does not bounce anymore coming to a stop.

Still having major power issues tho.
                            Current:
                            1989 325i
                            1988 M3
                            1987 325ic
                            Past:
                            2001 330ci
                            2001 M3

Comment

you reset the ecu by holding the negative and positive cables together?
                              1990 325is
                              m52b28
                              3.73lsd

Comment

you reset the ecu by holding the negative and positive cables together?
                                I just took the negative cable off the battery for about 30 seconds.
                                Current:
                                1989 325i
                                1988 M3
                                1987 325ic
                                Past:
                                2001 330ci
                                2001 M3

Comment

Working...
                                X