No announcement yet.

Porsche Nurburgring record smash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was crazy to watch but it just looked so fucking smooth!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Stupid e36's!

john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
        i'm wondering why he took the outside of the first carousel but the bank on the second.

that aside... fucking insane. i have a feeling this record will stand for another few decades unless someone feels like throwing many millions of dollars at it.
        not a lap record without all four tires on the carousels. jk

seriously I wonder what a modern F1 car could do with the proper gearing
        “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
          not a lap record without all four tires on the carousels. jk

seriously I wonder what a modern F1 car could do with the proper gearing
          I was having a debate with friends about whether a modern F1 car built like this (unrestricted aero and engine) would be faster or slower than the 919. I'd love to see what one could do with no limits.

I said the 919 would be faster just because F1 cars barely stay together as is with the restrictions in place, they probably wouldn't be able to make it a whole lap to set a record.
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
            I was having a debate with friends about whether a modern F1 car built like this (unrestricted aero and engine) would be faster or slower than the 919. I'd love to see what one could do with no limits.

I said the 919 would be faster just because F1 cars barely stay together as is with the restrictions in place, they probably wouldn't be able to make it a whole lap to set a record.
            Yeah, no.

The unlimited 919 beat the current spec F1 car by only a few seconds around Spa.

Unlimited F1 car would blast it.

I don't know what this dumb idea that F1 cars "barely stay together" is coming from.
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Oh sorry, it was 0.7 secs faster.

That's a softer set of tires for an F1 car.

Remove the fuel flow limit, increase downforce by 50% while also adding active aero to the front, etc etc etc............the F1 car would murder it. And that's with the horrible aero of an open wheel car.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                I don't know what this dumb idea that F1 cars "barely stay together" is coming from.
                Maybe by the fact that 30% of the cars failed to finish due to mechanical issues in the last race
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                  Maybe by the fact that 30% of the cars failed to finish due to mechanical issues in the last race
                  Ahh yes, the old "well in this one instance = every instance" line of thinking.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Well, to "limit costs" in F1, teams are permitted a total of 3 engines the whole season. The Austrian GP had an uncharacteristically high attrition rate for mechanical issues.

Though I like tin tops, my feeling is that a similar record-attempting F1 car would beat the Porsche 919 tribute car, probably just by using hypersofts and allowing DRS to be activated at will. Remember that in qualifying, whatever you use to qualify must be used at the start of the race, so depending on your pit strategy, you might not even run the softest tire to qualify (though in 2017 Spa, Hamilton used Ultrasofts which were the softest tire for F1 2017).

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Meaningless, but cool nonetheless.
                      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Well, the meaning is derived from the technical achievement itself.

Similar to the purpose built Pikes Peak time attack cars, this is in essence a very expensive time attack car since it wasn't built to any rulesets. In my eyes it was Porsche's marketing department working overtime to probably get more eyeballs on a 919 and Porsche Motorsport than their whole WEC campaign.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                          In my eyes it was Porsche's marketing department working overtime to probably get more eyeballs on a 919 and Porsche Motorsport than their whole WEC campaign.
                          I'd never laid eyes on this car before this, so I'd say it worked pretty well!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                            Meaningless, but cool nonetheless.
                            For sure, but I can't imagine anyone who is involved in or a fan of motorsports having any kind of negative feelings about this. The amount of money it costs to run these cars, even for a few laps, is huge and for a manufacturer to spend that kind of money for no reason other than breaking some lap records and posting about it on social media is fantastic.
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                              Well, the meaning is derived from the technical achievement itself.

Similar to the purpose built Pikes Peak time attack cars, this is in essence a very expensive time attack car since it wasn't built to any rulesets. In my eyes it was Porsche's marketing department working overtime to probably get more eyeballs on a 919 and Porsche Motorsport than their whole WEC campaign.
                              this................................
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

All fair points. If any company was going to do it, it would be Porsche.
                                Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                                X