Salvaging fuel tank crossover tube.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salvaging fuel tank crossover tube.

As the fuel tank on my 84 318i is shot I purchased a new aftermarket tank. I then realized that removing the crossover tube from the old tank was going to be a problem. When I saw that a new crossover was going to cost $145-150, I was determined to find another solution. I searched the internet and found one solution which was to purchase new M16 x 1.5 swivel fitting with a hose connection and use 8 mm fuel hose for the crossover. I ordered the fittings from a vendor in England for under $12 shipped. But I decided to see if I could salvage the old tube. I filled the old tank with water and cut the tank fittings off with the crossover tube still attached. I clamped the tank fitting in a vise, applied heat was able to separate the crossover tube from the tank fitting. But the compression nut was still frozen on the crossover tube. I tried soaking it in Evaporust to see if it would free up the nut. In this case it didn’t. I carefully cut the compression nut off each end of the conical connector with a dremel tool. Next I cut the crossover tube in half, slid on new compression nuts, aligned the tubes using the new tank. I then reconnected the tubes by sweating a $3 brass coupling from Home Depot drilled out to 13/32”. Total cost $15 and about 2 hours labor.
    Attached Files

Good stuff, not 100% sold on the soldered coupling, but I suspect that it will be fine.

Comment

For what it is worth, I have found that you can reinstall if *one* of the nuts is frozen.

That said, I was able to find a nice one from California for pretty cheap, so i went that route when I replaced the tank in my M3.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

You could probably use rubber fuel hose to join them back together if soldering is not an option. There isn't pressure in that line, so it should last long time.

Comment

Working...
        X