E30 Road Trip Tool Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Right? The OEM tool kit has nearly enough to do road side service lol. The thing I hate about those "all-in-one" kits is most of it is SAE and never get used on anything.
    :nice:
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

All you really need is the factory toolkit and a quart of oil. My first one was my daily driver and I've always had 60+ mile commutes. The only things I experienced that that wasn't enough for was when the transmission failed, and the 3 times my radiator failed.

If you insist on more tools, a metric socket set, and a small pair of high quality vise grips (to replace the distributor, those 5mm allen bolts always strip) are probably the next most important, but you're still going to have to hit up a parts store, so not really necessary. Can't fix a cracked plastic radiator end tank or a slushbox that won't go into gear.

Comment

I have to agree with the “factory tool kit and some oil and water”. Someone could pack a coil, dist, rotor, plug wires, relays, fan belt, fuel pump, fuel line, cps and tps. The only “dead on the side of the road” is cps, radiator, relays, fuel pump but at that point anything is possible.
        My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
        I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
          .... but at that point anything is possible.
          Exactly.
          And for that reason, I just rent a newer car when I wanna road trip.
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            '90 325i sedan daily driven
            '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

10, 13, 17 sockets with some extensions and a breaker bar for the wheel bolts.. factory jack, a quart of oil and some water. A funnel. Spare fuses and light bulbs, and a spare alt belt just in case. A long standard screw driver and one of those multi standard/phillips ones. A pair of pliers and a flashlight. Don't forget the factory wheel chock!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Similar thread came up on another forum. My answer here is almost the same - a quart of oil is enough. The E30 has a real spare tire, and while the jack sucks, it gets the job done. If it's worse than that, I'm calling a tow truck - screw messing with a waterpump on the side of the road.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  Similar thread came up on another forum. My answer here is almost the same - a quart of oil is enough. The E30 has a real spare tire, and while the jack sucks, it gets the job done. If it's worse than that, I'm calling a tow truck - screw messing with a waterpump on the side of the road.
                  The stock jack ruined my side skirts when it fell, and I am a pretty proficient mechanic. Worse than the 1970's bumper jacks.

On another note, I took my e30 on a 4000 mile road trip in about 2007 or 8. Performed flawlessly, and even put it on the drag strip in KY mid trip. Never skipped a beat. I was nervous the whole time, just couldnt kill the damned thing.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                    Fixed that for you Simon. ;)
                    maybe living in the big city has me spoiled with a 100 mile tow. whats premier, like 200?

I prefer the scissor jack style compared to the widowmakers that come with E30s
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I don't see why you guys are complaining about the E30 jacks, you guys should try the E46 jacks.
                      They (E46 Jacks) are really terrible.
                      1990 325i
                      2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                      sigpic

Comment

Some hose clamps, or that emergency tape they use to repair radiator, vacuum, fuel lines, etc... these cars are old and if your rubber tubes burst. It's a easy fix if you have the hardware.

I don't know if this is a repeat tip, sorry if it is
                        91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                        Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                        E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                        "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

For the love of God, pack a flashlight. You can't fix what you can't see.

A CPS, a voltage regulator, and a length of wire will fix almost anything on an e30 other then a blown coolant hose. For that, keep a gallon of water, and some tape that Motheye99 mentioned. It won't be perfect, but it will get you home, limping at 10-20 miles at a time.

Craftsman sells a nice 1/4" socket set and a 3/8" set - often on sale for $10-25.

As far as AA, I don't have any problems with my booze, but if that helps you on long trips, God bless you. (I kid, I kid)

AAA is great. The last time I got a non-AAA tow it was $185 for 3-4 blocks. I hate tow truck companies. They are the bottom feeders of the automotive world. I've been on AAA for 3 years now, and the $95 dues are worth it.

I was at a gas station a year ago, and I knew my AAA tows were about to expire for that year, and this woman was having issues with her Minivan. I called AAA, and put it on my plan. They towed her home and saved the day. All I had to do was flash my card.
                          Last edited by george graves; 07-23-2018, 03:58 AM.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

AAA is great. The last time I got a non-AAA tow it was $185 for 3-4 blocks. I hate tow truck companies. They are the bottom feeders of the automotive world. I've been on AAA for 3 years now, and the $95 dues are worth it.

I was at a gas station a year ago, and I knew my AAA tows were about to expire for that year, and this woman was having issues with her Minivan. I called AAA, and put it on my plan. They towed her home and saved the day. All I had to do was flash my card.

AAA is awesome. Had it since the 90's, well worth it. My plan is more, but I cover my daughter who is in college and have the 200 mile tows. Several years we haven't used them, but other's we used all 3 tows.

My wife called me at 5pm one day and was working in the next county. This tri-county area - Miami-Dade, Broward and West Palm is a huge metropolitan area, something like 6.5mil people in just a few miles. Well, it would have taken me at least an hour to get to her, then time to change the tire etc, then the drive back tot he shop. Told her try AA for the heck of it. Well, I hadn't heard back in about 20-30mins, so called to check in. She was already back on the road!

They will also jump start your car, bring you gas if you run out, jimmy your car if you lock the keys etc. Not to mention, most hotels and other travel places will give you 10% off if you flash your card too.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I just keep my car maintained to the point that I trust driving it anywhere. Recently did an 850 mile trip with no worries or issues.

I do keep a small tool kit in the car with the basics, but I use it mostly for going to the junkyard or working on other people's cars. lol

I also have AAA if I need a tow for some reason.

Comment

FWIW, I remember that earlier thread and was surprised that I saw no mention for what I consider the MOST important item to bring on a long trip there either: an extra frickin' set of keys! Yes, I know this thread specifically mentions 'tools," but I would encourage anyone taking a long trip in pretty much any vehicle to have a backup set either carried on one's person or hidden somewhere accessible under the vehicle or in the engine compartment. When I used to take long road trips, I'd typically wear at least a car key (w/lock key if they're not one and the same) on a chain around my neck under my shirt or have a full spare set of keys safety tucked away in my briefcase. Should the unthinkable happen, having at an extra set on hand saves losing what would probably amount to a full day wasted getting back on the road with a tow truck and a locksmith -- not to mention getting back inside one's house after a long trip home.

Just my .02 cents' worth. Peace.
                                ainadude
                                Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Working...
                                X