essential things to pack, coast to coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shangsta View Post
    You can get the regular service just use your friends US address and sign up before you fly over so that you can get your physical card when you get here. I would get the gold membership so you have 200 mile towing service which on a trip like yours would be helpful if something went wrong. My best advice is to have whatever car you are buying gone over before the trip and address anything big it needs.
    oh sweet I will look into that, we are planning to keep the car registered to his address as it seems to be the easiest way to do it.

its a 85 325e. has 270k on the clock however its had the following work done (with receipts to prove and you can tell by looking its all new)
    full coolant system overhaul including all hoses.
    full tune up, fluids, filters and plugs/wires
    brakes
    timing belt
    and was recently smogged (being a cali car)

the car is kinda rough exterior wise and a little on the inside but mechanically she is a peach which was what I wanted due to all the miles and also it will probably get a little bump and scrape here and there on the journey so wasn't really after a "mint" car. plus I am hoping having a car that looks a little beat up will put people off if they was looking to steal or rob a car but most the time this isn't the case, scumbags will be scumbags regardless.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Originally posted by Shangsta View Post
      I would get the Premier membership so you have 200 mile towing service which on a trip like yours would be helpful if something went wrong.
      Touched that up for you, buddy. ;)
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

For sure get AAA, its a nice safety net to have and most hotels offer AAA discounts. I'd also recommend a roof rack and a basket or carrier of some kind (e30 trunks aren't big), you can probably find one cheap used on Craigslist. Bring extra fluids, a decent tool kit, battery jump pack/power pack, any spare parts you think might fail (when I drove cross country in mine my idler pulley grenaded itself in the middle of the desert and my fuel pump another time). An oil pan skid plate could save you a headache and aren't expensive, some of our roads are shit. Paper maps as LOTS of sections of the west/southwest don't have good cell service or any at all. Window tint can make a hot car more bearable if you don't have it. I tend to over prepare but I've not had great luck driving mine cross country, haha.

If you stop through Denver I'll buy you a beer!

-Nick
        91 318is M50 swapped
        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

it seems circa $130 for the premium AAA so think I am going to go for that.

I wont lie, I am really worried about the trunk space, I don't think I will go for a roof rack, no offence to anyone that has one but I loathe them.

I will go for the AAA premium package and if anything does go tits up and I end up broken and not having the part needed then I guess I will just have to get towed to the next town or parts store and purchase whatever is needed...

Denver is on our trip!! 6th - 10th October we shall be there.
          Last edited by benwalsh91; 07-19-2018, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Does your car have a hitch on it by chance? Could always go for a hitch mounted storage box? Or take the back seats out for a little more storage. Early October is a beautiful time to be in Colorado! You guys will love it. I've had AAA Gold for 16 years and its saved my ass soooo many times. Also fun fact, AAA in Colorado will pick you up if you have a flat on your bicycle and are stuck.
            91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Ive bought old cars out an California and drove them back to the east coast a few times and have had great luck considering most of them had 150-250k miles. In fact on all my road trips it was the woman who gave me way more problems. Avoid punching them even if they start complaining about being hungry but you just fed them an hour prior. Bring a multimeter and plenty of water. Youre going to be driving through some pretty hot and dry places.

The Build:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                Does your car have a hitch on it by chance? Could always go for a hitch mounted storage box? Or take the back seats out for a little more storage. Early October is a beautiful time to be in Colorado! You guys will love it. I've had AAA Gold for 16 years and its saved my ass soooo many times. Also fun fact, AAA in Colorado will pick you up if you have a flat on your bicycle and are stuck.
                No tow hitch unfortunately and I have never driven with a trailer I think I would be a bit nervous of that. learning all the laws and the way you guys drive will be a struggle as it is, let alone on the WRONG side of the car and the WRONG side of the road. I think I will get it all in the "trunk" I will just have to make the mrs pack light, lol wish me luck.

saying that, does anyone have the dimensions of an e30 coupe trunk.

and that's actually amazing, if you called a break down service in England to say you got a puncture on your bike they would royally tell you to fuck off.

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                Ive bought old cars out an California and drove them back to the east coast a few times and have had great luck considering most of them had 150-250k miles. In fact on all my road trips it was the woman who gave me way more problems. Avoid punching them even if they start complaining about being hungry but you just fed them an hour prior. Bring a multimeter and plenty of water. Youre going to be driving through some pretty hot and dry places.
                haha!! that tickled me, thankfully for me my wife is super chilled and relaxed person and doesn't give me to much agg. A seriously rare find!! I have a couple of camelbaks or hydro packs whatever you guys call them that I am bringing with me which holds a few ltrs of water so will be plenty hydrated, just means we will be stopping to piss every 5 minutes. I remember a couple years back it was summer and I was travelling from just above Atlanta to Orlando to get a flight back home in my friends stripped out black e36 m3, no aircon nothing. it was hell. I need to find out if the AC works in the e30.

Comment

Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post
                  I'm sorry what?
                  My bad. Your location says London. Didn't see you mention the USA.

Welcome, and I would ditch Lake Tahoe. Yea, it's nice, but not that nice. Stick to the 101, and see the redwoods. Also - mark my words, the most boring part of the trip will be from Vegas to Houston. That's going to be one huge detour of a whole lot of nothing IMHO.
                  Last edited by george graves; 07-20-2018, 03:36 AM.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                  X