No announcement yet.

Whats my e30 S54 swap worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an s54 swapped 89 325i. The swap was done at a local shop. It also has several race car type upgrades - custom header, 3" exhaust, fuel cell, custom tune, BBK, reinforced rear subframe, new axles, etc.

I went a different direction than you, and made a street car/hot rod with an upgraded interior with an M-tech theme. Next step is to have it repainted. I already have more invested in the car than I'd like to admit.

I am planning to keep it forever, because I know I won't get anywhere near what I put into it, even if it ever gets to the true restomod state.

I think you are looking at less than you have into it, but knowing that it cost up to 4K for the engine without the tranny and upgrades, then you said 12 k for the swap (I am assuming that is without the engine?) and then all of the other upgrades may run you up over 30k total, if you add how in how much you bought the s52 swapped car for in the first place.

I think if you have a really detailed description of the build and run down of costs you can get better than 12k, more like 18-20? But who really knows. I agree that if it was a true restomod it would go for more.

If you do sell it, whoever is buying it is getting a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 323 that I'm looking to swap soon. I was quoted $9k to 15K for an S54 swap depending on what's done to the engine. I'm sure it could total 20-30K + for all the bells and whistles. I don't know about you guys but I can't fathom spending that kind of money for only 350-400HP. The S54 is great and all but I'm struggling to justify the cost right now. This swap like every other swap will only get cheaper with time though. Another thing to consider is one could pick up an entire E46 M3 for around $8-10K. To me that's a factor as well and then you have the added bonus of the E46 M3 appreciating in value.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You could try BAT?

I had mine priced at $16k a year or two ago when s54 swaps were less common, and only a couple bites. Mine had Ground Controls, staggered M-systems, 5 lug with e46 m3 brakes, cosmetic condition a little better... Just being realistic here. e30 market may be stronger now, but not on cars that are modded this much it seems
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          I have a 323 that I'm looking to swap soon. I was quoted $9k to 15K for an S54 swap depending on what's done to the engine. I'm sure it could total 20-30K + for all the bells and whistles. I don't know about you guys but I can't fathom spending that kind of money for only 350-400HP. The S54 is great and all but I'm struggling to justify the cost right now. This swap like every other swap will only get cheaper with time though. Another thing to consider is one could pick up an entire E46 M3 for around $8-10K. To me that's a factor as well and then you have the added bonus of the E46 M3 appreciating in value.

Well, you have to consider power to weight ratio here. His s54 e30 probably weighs well less than 2500 lbs as it has been stripped, and an e46 m3 weighs 3400 lbs. An s54 e30 is a ton of fun to drive.

And yeah, it's expensive. I don't recommend it. The s52 swap is more value per HP all around.

Comment

12k to do the swap. How much of that was labor?

Comment

You can do an S54 swap for about $7k DIY using a ZF310/320
              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Look through the BaT thread on here and get an idea for what swapped cars sell for.

Also maybe post some more pics of your car and a better idea of what has been done to it besides the swap.

I personally think a clean s54 swap in a complete e30 (i.e. full interior) would fetch high teens maybe close to 20k.

Comment

Track car has a limited market. $12k is fair.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I think you'd get a lot more for the car if it had a much closer to stock interior, and didn't have so much comfort stuff deleted. The exterior is quite ratty too, so you're only market is really the track crew, and few people want to pay $20k for just a weekend track car.

I mean, would you pay that much for your own car, just for track purposes? I doubt it, you spent a lot on a project car, not just a track car. The build was probably the fun part, and researching parts.

A spec E30 could be almost as much fun as your car, but would be way less.

Why do you want to sell it anyway? It's not expensive to keep a second car. The only real cost on my second car is registration, insurance is practically free because I get a huge multi-car discount.

Comment

Originally posted by sklbase View Post
                      Well, you have to consider power to weight ratio here. His s54 e30 probably weighs well less than 2500 lbs as it has been stripped, and an e46 m3 weighs 3400 lbs. An s54 e30 is a ton of fun to drive.

And yeah, it's expensive. I don't recommend it. The s52 swap is more value per HP all around.

Right, of course. Then there's always FI M or S52 as well. Did you DIY or pay someone?
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                        Right, of course. Then there's always FI M or S52 as well. Did you DIY or pay someone?

As I said in my post, I paid a shop to do it.

Comment

ahhh the age old "I put x amount of mods into my car so it's worth 1.5x"

rite guyz?

Comment

Originally posted by sklbase View Post
                            As I said in my post, I paid a shop to do it.

The thing with mechanical labor costs is that those who have the ability to do the work themselves do not see the value in the Labour costs. The labor cost can almost be consisted a sunk cost.

The car looks like a hell of a lot of fun in the video.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                              The thing with mechanical labor costs is that those who have the ability to do the work themselves do not see the value in the Labour costs. The labor cost can almost be consisted a sunk cost.

The car looks like a hell of a lot of fun in the video.

Correct. I don't have the ability nor the time.

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                                You are lucky to get .50 cents on the dollar on mods/upgrades, especially if you take a car away from its original purpose.
                                This pretty much sums it up. Best example of this is many of the show cars you see around.

For example - here's a VC Valiant available near me that $50k was sunk into and it has been for sale for months at $12.5k and can't find a buyer.

Find Cheap and Discounted New and Used Cars, Vans & Utes available in Royal Park 5014, SA. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.

Reality is you could take the gold off it and have the trim re-chromed + redo the interior and you'd have a car that's minty fresh. Would probably cost about $3k get the car back to normal, and then it would be worth close to $20k in the current market, but no one seems to be able to see past the "pimp my car" aspect of it.

Agree with the other comments - your car looks like great fun, and in the video seems well sorted, but it isn't really usable anywhere other than the track so it restricts how many interested buyers you'll have.

Throw it on BAT and see what happens? Maybe the right buyer will pop up.
                                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                                X