Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sub'd for big 6 fun

Comment

Hey @captain awesome ! Glad you chimed in. I will let you know if I need help. Likely will when the engine goes in.

M90= Bore 93.36 mm x 84 mm stroke
      M30= 92mm X 86 mm

M90 is a stump puller. It will be on the dyno for sure. I want to know what it makes.

Comment

Pressed out the rear bearings then prepped and painted a bunch of stuff.
        DSC01882 by Micah Cooper, on Flickr

DSC01884 by Micah Cooper, on Flickr

The other whips.
        2000 528i Msport manual
        1997 Landcruiser

DSC01885 by Micah Cooper, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by cooperman View Post
          M90= Bore 93.36 mm x 84 mm stroke
          M30= 92mm X 86 mm

M90 is a stump puller. It will be on the dyno for sure. I want to know what it makes.
          yummy, bigger bore, shorter stroke, and same effective displacement. my kind of motor. What did they come in? Are they that much harder to find?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

They came in some 5 and 6 series cars between '79 and 85' I think. The blocks have an "L" painted on the side, have an extra water passage compared to the M30, and the pistons are flat topped.

They are pretty rare. You can build one if you punch out a normal M30 block to the same 93.36 bore (custom pistons) and have an 84 mm crank (found in S38b35). The cam is the same as stock M30b35 (though the part numbers are different). I actually have everything but a piston set to build another one.
            You could shorten the stroke further if you had an 82mm crank and went with custom rods and/or pistons. That motor would really rev.

Comment

Yesterday I spent 4 hours cleaning out the piston ring grooves.
              Set the ring gap- .014" for the top ring, .016" for the middle ring
              Installed the rings and the rods on the pistons
              Adjusted the valves- .012" cold
              Modified the oil sprayer bar, installed the banjo bolts with new cruch washers, loctite red, 9ft/lbs torque
              Installed oil filter canister to the block

Comment

Bumping this. Major updates coming.

Comment

Don't bump! Pony up. Subscribed.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                    M90 = sohc m88

Makes the same power as an m30b35
                    Euro L-block?

It's short stroke and larger bore make it like a m30 that is more lively. It's a very rev-happy, peppy motor. I know, I've driven an e28 with one that was built by M3Ryan. TQ is still there since the long intake is there. It also sounds different then a typical m30b35 - it sounds kinda mean to be honest. Going 20 MPH in a neighborhood, you would get people looking at you and "patting the ground" as if to say "slow down!"

PS - it's also commonly called a "euro L-block" Because of the letter L on the block. And was only gray markt for the US I think????
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                    X