Tall people with racing seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tall people with racing seats

I have some Corbeau FX1 Pros in my car that I like, but I can't seem to get comfortable in them.

I'm 6'4", so to have room for my helmet, I have it mounted as low as physically possible at the back of the seat. However, since I'm tall, my weight isn't distributed through my thighs at all, and I end up putting all of that weight on my tailbone. :(

The only options I see are:
    1) Raise the front mounts of the seat all the way (tilting the seat back), so I ride like a thug and install a 2" steering wheel spacer.
    2) Shift the seat back (not ideal, I like my leg reach how it is), and install a 2" steering wheel spacer.
    3) Sit on a donut.

I'm not thrilled about any of these options. Is there anything else you tall guys have done to make your race seats more comfortable?

Here's my current mounting:
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

I don't have race seats, but I'm always interested in tall guy seating solutions threads.

Comment

Can you drill new, lower, holes or would the seat be on the floor board?
      sigpic

Comment

I can take a few pics tonight of my setup, i'm 6'4", allllllll legs and I ended up using a 2" spacer to get the wheel where i wanted it.

Comment

Originally posted by e30_302 View Post
          Can you drill new, lower, holes or would the seat be on the floor board?
          With the Sparco side mounts, I was able to drill new holes in the brackets to pick up the OEM holes in the floor. Right now, the lowest point of the seat is only a finger's width off the floor. :(

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
          I can take a few pics tonight of my setup, i'm 6'4", allllllll legs and I ended up using a 2" spacer to get the wheel where i wanted it.
          I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures! I was looking at VAC's adapter plates and side mounts today. I may call them up and ask what the lowest height of the hole is on the bracket after it's stacked on top of their 3/4" thick adapter plate. Right now, my lowest hole on the Sparco brackets is 2 3/4".

Here's a photo of my leg with the clutch fully depressed. After looking at the photo, maybe I could stand to move it back an inch or so:
          -Brandon
          '86 325es S50
          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
            I have some Corbeau FX1 Pros in my car that I like, but I can't seem to get comfortable in them.

I'm 6'4", so to have room for my helmet, I have it mounted as low as physically possible at the back of the seat. However, since I'm tall, my weight isn't distributed through my thighs at all, and I end up putting all of that weight on my tailbone. :(

The only options I see are:
            1) Raise the front mounts of the seat all the way (tilting the seat back), so I ride like a thug and install a 2" steering wheel spacer.
            2) Shift the seat back (not ideal, I like my leg reach how it is), and install a 2" steering wheel spacer.
            3) Sit on a donut.

I'm not thrilled about any of these options. Is there anything else you tall guys have done to make your race seats more comfortable?

Here's my current mounting:
            4) Cut out the floor and rebuild it lowered

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures! I was looking at VAC's adapter plates and side mounts today. I may call them up and ask what the lowest height of the hole is on the bracket after it's stacked on top of their 3/4" thick adapter plate. Right now, my lowest hole on the Sparco brackets is 2 3/4".
              I have VAC floor/side mounts in my car with OMP HTE containment seats. i'm only 5' 10" tall, but if VAC doesn't give you the information you need, i can do some measurements for you from my E30 ('87 325is). Just PM me with what you would need. - AB

Comment

Ironically, Bob Mearns has put his car up for sale, and one reason is that he can't
                get himself squeezed into it (I'd guess he's 6'4" plus)

Yes, sit on the floor. I'm 5'10", and I sit pretty darned close to it. In an aluminum
                containment seat.

Yes, slide back a bit, and move the steering wheel down and towards you
                (simple brackets will lower it, and a spacer will move it back)

There's a 944 track guy running down in Portland who has a bubble where
                there used to be a sunroof... which freaks me right out, I'll admit.

And yes, lowering the floor might help... but I bet you won't quite need to.
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

When it comes to E30 seat mounts Lee at Massive Brakes has the best out there. Flip the brackets and mock up several times and you can get the seats centered to the steering wheel. Closer to the center tunnel than any other mount, and lower than most probably ever want to go. A 1/4" left or right makes a big ergonomic difference on fixed seating position.

I'm 6' 1" and have no problem getting comfortable in the new XL HTE-Rs.

Edited; tried uploading attachments this time.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by autox320; 10-01-2014, 12:56 PM.
                  youtube channel

Comment

Originally posted by squidrope View Post
                    4) Cut out the floor and rebuild it lowered
                    Definitely beyond my skill set. :) Although the back end of the car is stripped out, I still want to retain my carpet and finished look where I'm seated for the occasional meets.

Originally posted by B1mmer View Post
                    I have VAC floor/side mounts in my car with OMP HTE containment seats. i'm only 5' 10" tall, but if VAC doesn't give you the information you need, i can do some measurements for you from my E30 ('87 325is). Just PM me with what you would need. - AB
                    I contacted VAC. The lowest mounting point using their adapter plates and side mounts is 3 5/16". Right now, with the Sparco side mounts by themselves, I'm at 2 3/4". Raising the seat that .56" is probably too much.

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                    Yes, slide back a bit, and move the steering wheel down and towards you
                    (simple brackets will lower it, and a spacer will move it back)
                    I never considered lowering the steering column to accommodate moving the seat back. After a few quick google searches, it looks pretty simple. Thanks!

Originally posted by autox320 View Post
                    When it comes to E30 seat mounts Lee at Massive Brakes has the best out there. Flip the brackets and mock up several times and you can get the seats centered to the steering wheel. Closer to the center tunnel than any other mount, and lower than most probably ever want to go. A 1/4" left or right makes a big ergonomic difference on fixed seating position.
                    Your photo links aren't working. Is this the part you're referring to?

I forgot Lee had that mount. I emailed him, and using the setup link above, they are 78mm (3") to the lowest hole. That may work!
                    Last edited by Beej '86 325es; 10-01-2014, 09:43 AM.
                    -Brandon
                    '86 325es S50
                    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

how about cutting the posts and raising them? having cut glass made custom?
                      or like said before, lower the floor board.

you could go the route of Cotton from king of the hill, have someone shoot out your legs at the shins!

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                      Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                        I don't have race seats, but I'm always interested in tall guy seating solutions threads.
                        good luck buddy. we tried sitting a 6'9 dude in my SPG once, that was a laugh.

Comment

Im 6,2 but I had issues with a helmet in my car with stock seats. Put some lower buckets in and the issues is fixed, although I have some custom brackets that makes the seat pretty low.

Comment

I think we've gotten off track. Getting the seat low isn't the problem. Distributing the weight on my ass and upper legs so I'm not in pain is the issue.

Lots of good input on this thread, thank you all for the help. Here's my plan:
                            -Massive floor mounts to shift the seat back 1-2"
                            -2" Steering wheel spacer
                            -Shim down steering column accordingly
                            -Brandon
                            '86 325es S50
                            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Your photo links aren't working. Is this the part you're referring to?

I forgot Lee had that mount. I emailed him, and using the setup link above, they are 78mm (3") to the lowest hole. That may work!
                              Attached images instead.

Happy racing.
                              Attached Files
                              youtube channel

Comment

Working...
                              X