No announcement yet.

Tall people with racing seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judging from the pic of you in the seat, you could probably use more angle in your seat..

You may also gain more clearance once you increase the layback. Heck, you could try going as much layback as a formula car. Perhaps you may be better off getting an aluminum seat, and have it tailored to your frame/seating arangement?
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      Judging from the pic of you in the seat, you could probably use more angle in your seat..

You may also gain more clearance once you increase the layback. Heck, you could try going as much layback as a formula car. Perhaps you may be better off getting an aluminum seat, and have it tailored to your frame/seating arangement?
      I think you're right. I was playing with the position again last night because I was afraid moving the seat further back would cause me to knock my helmet on a roll bar when I install one. I ended up putting the seat back in the original position, but reclined it more. That one extra notch of recline helped immensely. My lower back was uncomfortable for 4 days following my track day last Sunday...I can't handle that again!

I'm going to get a steering wheel spacer or quick disconnect to help bring the steering wheel closer to me. I've read good reviews on this one:

I'm also looking into installing a 6 point harness when I get the roll bar, so I'm currently researching the proper way to install one. I assume it's best to install the anchor points to the chassis, rather than the same seat floor bolts.
      -Brandon
      '86 325es S50
      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

I was afraid moving the seat further back would cause me to knock my helmet on a roll bar when I install one.
        Oooh- this is critical for taller people- put the roll bar back farther!
        It's just as strong, and a LOT safer if you have a good fit for you in the
        car, and then a bar BEHIND your melon by the right distance (what, maybe 4-6"?)

Might mean you have to have a bar built for you, but the extra few hundred bucks
        will be well worth it because you'll fit the car. And that might mean you're a better
        driver for it, and don't end up having to use the bar...

hth

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
          I think you're right. I was playing with the position again last night because I was afraid moving the seat further back would cause me to knock my helmet on a roll bar when I install one. I ended up putting the seat back in the original position, but reclined it more. That one extra notch of recline helped immensely. My lower back was uncomfortable for 4 days following my track day last Sunday...I can't handle that again!

I'm going to get a steering wheel spacer or quick disconnect to help bring the steering wheel closer to me. I've read good reviews on this one:

I'm also looking into installing a 6 point harness when I get the roll bar, so I'm currently researching the proper way to install one. I assume it's best to install the anchor points to the chassis, rather than the same seat floor bolts.
          What seat do you have? My OMP HTE was awful for my first event, due to no lumbar support (lower back pain). OMP sells different pads that are wrapped in fire resistant materials that fit under the original cover. Other manufacturers have similar offerings. That alone made my seat incredibly comfortable.

I went with the VAC floor mounts & side mounts, such that I could get their anti-sub mount and side mount tabs so that I need not drill anything in order to mount my harness to my roll bar. They have worked to perfection and really made the install foolproof. - AB

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            Oooh- this is critical for taller people- put the roll bar back farther!
            It's just as strong, and a LOT safer if you have a good fit for you in the
            car, and then a bar BEHIND your melon by the right distance (what, maybe 4-6"?)

Might mean you have to have a bar built for you, but the extra few hundred bucks
            will be well worth it because you'll fit the car. And that might mean you're a better
            driver for it, and don't end up having to use the bar...

hth

t
            Good advice. We have local cage builders in Indy...I'll look into that.

Originally posted by B1mmer View Post
            What seat do you have? My OMP HTE was awful for my first event, due to no lumbar support (lower back pain). OMP sells different pads that are wrapped in fire resistant materials that fit under the original cover. Other manufacturers have similar offerings. That alone made my seat incredibly comfortable.

I went with the VAC floor mounts & side mounts, such that I could get their anti-sub mount and side mount tabs so that I need not drill anything in order to mount my harness to my roll bar. They have worked to perfection and really made the install foolproof. - AB
            The VAC floor mounts raise the seat too much for me. Their parts are very nice though.

I have a Corbeau FX1 Pro. It looks very flat on the back like the OMP. Corbeau doesn't offer the add-on cushions, unfortunately, and that lumbar seems like it would work, but I'd doubt it would stick to my microfiber material. Still, it's something to consider if I still have problems.

Thanks!
            -Brandon
            '86 325es S50
            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

I have a Bride Low Max Racing seat in my car and I'm 6 feet tall, though not as tall as you, I had to make some adjustments to the seat to make myself comfortable. Not sure if it'll help you much, but what I did was raise the seat with the sliders a bit, then tilt the seat back to prevent your back from hurting.

Comment

Good advice. We have local cage builders in Indy...I'll look into that.

The VAC floor mounts raise the seat too much for me. Their parts are very nice though.

I have a Corbeau FX1 Pro. It looks very flat on the back like the OMP. Corbeau doesn't offer the add-on cushions, unfortunately, and that lumbar seems like it would work, but I'd doubt it would stick to my microfiber material. Still, it's something to consider if I still have problems.

Thanks!
                The OMP lumbar has "male" velcro on the back of it. It'll stick to most cloth seating. Problem is, they aren't cheap. $60 each. - AB

Comment

Reviving an old thread, because I had a hard time finding information lately.

I’ve been looking for a replacement seat, for two reasons:

1. With head and neck restraints (aka Hans & Necks Gen) being more common, it’s hard to find a seat that has the harness feedthrough holes high enough, so I don’t end up with a spine compression injury.

2. I want a seat with head restraints.

I was at PRI this past weekend and sat in a lot of seats. The following seats fit my 6’4” skinny body really well:

-Cobra Sebring
                  -Cobra Evolution
                  -Momo Daytona
                  -Sabelt GT-160

A couple of others that I’m not very familiar with, that were slightly lower quality, but still fit pretty well:

-Necks Gen
                  -Driven

Hope this helps the next tall lanky guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  -Brandon
                  '86 325es S50
                  '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                  '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                  '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

have you taken a look at kirkey seats at all? not sure what your expectation for comfort is, but they are kind of the industry standard race seat and have a lot of configurations and options. they are pretty much all built with neck restraint usage accounted for, as well.

i've spent a lot of time in two different kirkey seats and find them fine.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

I sat in a few at the show, but I’ve just never been keen on them...that’s just me, though. My E30 is primarily a track car, but it’s driven to the track and to local gatherings every once in a while, so I like the look & feel of the fiberglass seats.

-Brandon
                      '86 325es S50
                      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Love my Recaro spg seat — slim frame and it’s a good fit.

Comment

I can second the Kirkey's (6'4" as well). I've driven a friends Miata with one several times and it was a lot more comfortable than I thought it was going to be.
                          89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                          I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

I have a new Cobra Suzuka Pro - XL. The seat is great and shoulder holes are at right height for me (I'm 6'4") but the bottom sides of the seat are not quite wide enough for my stupid 40" waist, so it's not very comfortable for me. :(

I'm considering getting the new 2017 Sparco Alpha seat made specifically for "bigger drivers."

Comment

Yeah, I sat in a Cobra Suzuka standard width and the holes and overall height were good for me (6’4”) as well.

-Brandon
                              '86 325es S50
                              '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                              '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                              '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Thanks!

I was at PRI this past weekend and sat in a lot of seats. The following seats fit my 6’4” skinny body really well:

-Cobra Sebring
                                -Cobra Evolution
                                -Momo Daytona
                                -Sabelt GT-160

Hope this helps the next tall lanky guy.
                                Helps me for sure; thank you! Found this forum because I was looking for exactly this info; I'm looking for a new race seat. I'm 6'3", but have a long torso (and weigh about 195), and my old seat was too short and pulled my shoulders down into the seat, uncomfortably putting pressure on my back. I plan to have the harness bar raised, but a taller seat is also key--so any recollection of which had the highest shoulder openings? Also, for comparison did you sit in the OMP HTE-R XL? It's pretty tall per their dimension chart, but it's also built to accommodate people that are a bit more, uh, beefy than I am.

Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
                                X