No announcement yet.

Tall people with racing seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I learned from sitting in all of those seats is you can’t trust those charts. Seats that I thought would have been too short (like the Momo and Sabelt) were plenty tall.
    I think my friend has that OMP in a standard width, and it was too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es View Post
      I was at PRI this past weekend and sat in a lot of seats. The following seats fit my 6’4” skinny body really well:

-Cobra Sebring
      -Cobra Evolution
      -Momo Daytona
      -Sabelt GT-160
      Do you by chance know if the Cobra Sebring you sat in was the GT width or the regular width? I'm having trouble finding a seat I can sit in, and the GT width is being recommended--but I'm 6'3" and relatively thin (I weigh 195). Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyTim View Post
        Do you by chance know if the Cobra Sebring you sat in was the GT width or the regular width? I'm having trouble finding a seat I can sit in, and the GT width is being recommended--but I'm 6'3" and relatively thin (I weigh 195). Thanks!

I sat in the Standard width seat. Now I only weigh 150 lbs and I’m 6’4”.

I just picked up a Sabelt GT-160 last night in size Medium. Now that’s a tall narrow seat! It fits me very snug.

-Brandon
        '86 325es S50
        '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
        '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
        '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

I sat in the Standard width seat. Now I only weigh 150 lbs and I’m 6’4”.

I just picked up a Sabelt GT-160 last night in size Medium. Now that’s a tall narrow seat! It fits me very snug.

Thanks for the quick response; I guess I can't consider myself thin relative to you--and any seat you find snug will definitely be too small for me!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response; I guess I can't consider myself thin relative to you--and any seat you find snug will definitely be too small for me!

Hard to say. You’re probably on the border between standard and GT sizes. I had plenty of room in the standard size, so you may be OK. I’d also look and see if a GT would even fit in an E30. The halo on those and the Evolution are fairly big. Below is the Evolution, which I love, because of the see-thru halos, but it’s a little different design because the shoulder areas are integrated. Very wide halo.

-Brandon
            '86 325es S50
            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

The halo on those and the Evolution are fairly big. Below is the Evolution, which I love, because of the see-thru halos, but it’s a little different design because the shoulder areas are integrated. Very wide halo.
              Do you recall / know which of the seats you said worked for you had the highest shoulder holes (I have a long torso), or were they all roughly the same?

Also, I'm perplexed by why Cobra describes the Sebring as for taller drivers, but says no such thing about the Evolution--yet you found both fit you well?
              Last edited by PhillyTim; 02-02-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

The Recaro SPG XL have quite nice (read large and tall) shoulder holes and should fit a tall guy perfectly.

They are however wider than standard so if you're thin it might feel too big. I'm 6" and 210lbs and they have some extra shoulder height so should be fine at least up to 6' 7".
                They should be perfect for occasional road use and I've used mine to sleep in on several occasions.

Comment

Do you recall / know which of the seats you said worked for you had the highest shoulder holes (I have a long torso), or were they all roughly the same?

Also, I'm perplexed by why Cobra describes the Sebring as for taller drivers, but says no such thing about the Evolution--yet you found both fit you well?

Yeah, both the Evolution and Sebring had harness holes at about the same height. Go back to my earlier post from 12/11 for what seats I found fit tall people.

-Brandon
                  '86 325es S50
                  '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                  '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                  '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:

Comment

Not sure if this was stated already but get rid of the sliders ( if you have them )

I have a good friend who drives my car racing and he is 6'3" and fits fine with a helmet, recaro spg fixed back, recaro floor and side mounts at the lowest level

Still the damn sunroof is an issue, but if that wasn't there then he would be fine.
                    Harp

Comment

I'm looking to get a new seat for my e30, the stock seat is in alright condition but I need more room. At 6'9" I don't fit in any car really, but e30s are especially small. Gonna check out a couple of the seats mentioned previously. Anything else out there for very tall people?
                      1984 533i
                      1984 733i
                      1985 325e
                      1998 M3
                      1998 318ti
                      2008 335i

Comment

Working...
                      X