Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed smog for first time, not sure what to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
    ...poorly running car...

...time trying to get it to run right over the next 2 years.

Thing is though, the car runs GREAT. I just put low-mile injectors in it of the correct size (had 17#s in it before but never got around to tuning) and finally got a high idle issue sorted (bad TPS), and I thought it ran fine before, but throttle response and driveability are both noticeably improved since those were installed. It always pulls strong to redline and breaks the tires loose going into 3rd.

Spark plugs have less than 5k miles on them, but maybe its time for ignition parts? It has been 50k miles since I replaced everything else. BMW service interval is supposedly 80k (according to Pelican Parts), but I apparently used Bremi cap/rotor, not Bosch, and an IE wire set which I know is likely Chinese and of questionable quality. Could that be enough to do it?

Car has been tested for vac leaks recently, using a good smoke tester (I've used cheap smoke testers that suck), small leak was found in crankcase vent hose which has since been replaced, so I doubt it is that unless it is something new and random.

Also, regarding the gas cap failure... Can I just replace the seal with the OEM part, or is there something else in the cap itself that can fail, requiring replacement of the entire unit?

Thanks a metric tonne for the info and brainstorming so far.
    sigpic
    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

I ran a lambda calculation on your numbers, cars running normal as far as the number go. You may actually need a cat, but you need to make sure you have an 02 sensor that is functioning properly, even if its slowed down by a millisecond or two it can throw things out of balance and cause the cat to not function properly. Though it looks like you're running damn near perfect and the numbers don't look that far off. Perhaps, the converter wasn't warm enough during the first part of the test especially since its an older converter it may not be functioning as efficiently as it used to.

If they sell just the seal for your gas cap that should be fine.

Untitled by Bob Terwiliger, on Flickr

Comment

You are now the 2nd person to tell me O2, along with my BMW indie tech buddy whose M20 advice I trust over just about any other. According to my records the car last got an O2 sensor Feb 2016, but it was apparently a used unit left over from my other motor, so questionable at best. Looks like I will order an O2 and keep a happy thought?
        sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

The higher NOx emissions is also somewhat indicative of a sluggish o2 sensor. I can't tell you 100% that it's an o2 sensor but its a safe bet and is cheaper than replacing the converter.

Comment

get a ford o2 sensor (look up which one it is) and wire it yourself.. It's like 25 bucks IIRC
            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
            Q
            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Damn, fuck. Too late, already ordered a Bosch off Ebay. Trying to get stuff here ASAP as I'm running out of days before I expire.
              sigpic

Comment

Just pay your registration even if you haven't passed smog yet, you'll have an incomplete renewal and won't get the tags but you won't have any penalties. Once you've passed smog you'll get your tags in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRob View Post
                  Just pay your registration even if you haven't passed smog yet, you'll have an incomplete renewal and won't get the tags but you won't have any penalties. Once you've passed smog you'll get your tags in the mail.
                  +1, I do this every time, take up to months before I get my smog taken care of.
                  @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I had a pre-test and my 1988 is with over 300K on the cat and it exceeded the passing limit; had changed oil, new O2 sensor, plugs, cap, rotor and air filter, as well as running car hot. Test station told me to keep spend on aftermarket cats to a minimum since it’s not made to last more than a couple of test cycles; they provide a 5 year warranty, but recognize this means you only have 2 cycles (every 2 years) and after that the cat may need to be replaced on your dime.

I received the same comment from Roundel’s Mike Miller.

I should note my engine was professionally rebuilt about 50K miles ago; all new parts, including valves, springs, cam, pistons, etc. to stock specs. so should be able to pass smog easier than a tired one.

Since the car has been refreshed with new paint, upholstry, suspension, wheels (new euroweaves), LSD diff, locks, etc., I am replacing the aftermarket weld on with a factory one since my E30 is a keeper. Fortunately, a cat for an automatic will fit; the ones for manual is NLA.

Have a pre-test before the official test; if it passes with the new O2, you know you cat is still doing it’s job.

Comment

FYi there's no reason to have a pre-test done, unless it's being offered for free. The state only cares that you fix it and pass, no sense paying for something that you don't need to pay for. Unless you're worried about failing showing up on a carfax too many times.

Comment

I wasn't even aware smog shows up on a carfax. I don't care about that.

O2 and gas cap arrived today, will have cap and rotor Monday, hopefully that will be good enough to get me down the 3 points I need at 15mph.
                        sigpic

Comment

The trifecta of passing CA smog legally on a stock BMW motor, is a full tank of gas, seafoam, and new plugs.

Step 1), Get new bosch plus. Get them from the dealer. Not those 4 point plaintium BS.

2.) Seafoam the hell out of it. Suck it in via a vac line, until it stumbles, and it stops running. Let it sit overnight or at least 2-3 hours. Then....do it again. Run it till the amount of seafoam causes the car to stumble. Shut it off.

3.) Get a fresh tank of 93 octane, and then go drive the living piss out of it. If you seafoamed it correctly, you'll have a billowing clouds of smoke behind you. Drive it like you stole it until it clears. If you have a mount pass nearby, drive up it in 2 or 3 gear. Get the cats smoking hot. You want the motor to be hot. Really hot when they put you on the sniffer/dyno. If they make you sit there, say "I'll be right back", and do some laps in 2nd gear at read line.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

lol we don't have 93 in California

Comment

Yea you do. 93 or 92. 220, 221 whatever it takes.
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Right there with you about the money. What I've read about aftermarket cats is that they only last a few years while OEMs are made of better, more expensive materials that will last much longer. O2 sensors have 100k mi replacement intervals and if you'd replaced it with a used one a couple years ago I'd put my money toward the O2 sensor first rather than buying an aftermarket cat
                                Last edited by Das Delfin; 06-17-2018, 09:00 PM.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                                X