No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I wasn't 100% sure what the problem was, but turns out I was right. Someone didn't install the pinion shaft seal properly during assembly. The worst part was that it's so obvious the guy/gal was either completely oblivious or they didn't give. a. fuck. at all. Should've pulled the dust cap off before I installed the rack... oh well, lesson learned. Got a regular e36 rack at a local part store (for some reason they couldn't order e46 racks) and installed. Not as quick as I'd like it to be, but goddamn is it nice to have power steering again.

Comment

Question - will a 98 M3 rack work? Or only the 95 M3 rack?

EDIT - nevermind. Someone asked this question earlier in the thread. The search function is my friend.

Comment

So I've read through almost every page in this thread and I just have one more question.

The site I'm getting the parts from comes up with Pentosin CHF202 Hydraulic/Power Steering fluid instead of regular ATF. Is this OK to use? Or should I try to find ATF?

Comment

Just grab atf fluid from wherever... It's just automatic transmission fluid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

The new reservoir I got on ebay says 'use ATF' on the cap.

but hey, if you feel like paying 3x as much for what's pretty much the same stuff... go right ahead :)

Comment

No power steering

So I just finished this, took her for a drive and the power steering is not there. Filled it up and started the car. Went lock to lock and added another reservoir full of fluid. It must be pumping as it pulled the fluid in. Could there be something wrong with the rack itself? Did I screw up the hoses? Not sure if that's even possible.

Thanks

Disregard.....just went out to try it again and works fine. Very strange. Maybe a little air pocket although fluid was at the correct level.
              Last edited by brads2002; 03-23-2014, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
                So I just finished this, took her for a drive and the power steering is not there. Filled it up and started the car. Went lock to lock and added another reservoir full of fluid. It must be pumping as it pulled the fluid in. Could there be something wrong with the rack itself? Did I screw up the hoses? Not sure if that's even possible.

Thanks
                Is it whining like there's air in the system? I would just keep adding more until it doesn't drop anymore. Mine took about three full reservoirs of fluid I think.

If this doesn't work then I'd say that you may have hooked up the hoses incorrectly but I don't think that's really possible without major leaking and/or seriously screwing up the rack. There's one high pressure hose that attaches to the pump and the rack, and two low pressure. One from the reservoir to the pump, and one from rack to reservoir.

As an aside I have an update:

About 1000 miles in with the AAE 3111N and it has stiffened up quite a bit, and what used to be a quite light and numb (but laughably fast, I kind of miss it) experience is now well weighted and very communicative. The texture of the road surface is translated pretty significantly to the wheel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Alpinweiss II 88 325is | M20 | 5 Lug Conversion
                --
                Kyle

Comment

Thank you , good to know on the quantity. I only put 2 reservoirs in so maybe there is a big air gap. No whining at all. I will let it sit overnight and check again in the morning.

Comment

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

BMW racks are self bleeding as long as you have enough fluid. (At least, the e30 system is)

Have the reservoir full then steer to lock; refill, steer to center, refill, steer to opposite lock, refill, steer to center again, fill to indicated volume, cap off. For added measure, you can steer lock to lock a couple times after with it uncapped to make absolute sure all the air has been bled out.

Should be good unless you have a blown rack or leaks in the system.

Comment

Where is everybody ordering their rack from these days? Looking to swap out my leaky e30 rack right about now!
                      sigpic

Comment

Give Levent at guten a call, he usually has rebuilt in Stock.

Comment

If ur old hoses are in good shape will they work with the new e36 steering rack?

Comment

So if ur old hoses are in good shape can u use them with the new e36 steering rack?

Comment

Yea you just need to bend things a tad

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                                Yea you just need to bend things a tad
                                I was able to get mine in on my z3 031 rack without bending. It just depends on how you route the lines.

Easiest way, however, is to bend the high pressure line a little to make the angle larger (should be the longer one) and have it tweaked a little. I done two rack installs since then with e36 racks on a buddies car.

You'll know what I mean once you're in there

Comment

Working...
                                X