ROUND 4! 88 Lachsilber / Cardinal IX coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car's going bye bye

Well, the family conference has ruled. We love our 88 Lachsilber IX. We don't like red on an IX. Apparently it's a non-negotiable item... So we're going to strip her down and repair the shell.

A completely rust free 90 IX coupe will be going on Chicago craigslist shortly.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        Well, the family conference has ruled. We love our 88 Lachsilber IX. We don't like red on an IX. Apparently it's a non-negotiable item... So we're going to strip her down and repair the shell.

A completely rust free 90 IX coupe will be going on Chicago craigslist shortly.
        You did stop to consider repainting the red shell.... silver?
        Probably faster and cheaper and less headache than fixing your existing shell, and you could transfer over parts from silver car to get the options you want.

Faster and more fiscally prudent than fixing the rotten shell.
        Below the radar...

Comment

Yes that would be the rational thing to do... The plan all along was to transfer all the mech bits to the new shell. We want an original car though, in the color we're looking for. 88 IX coupes are definitely the best equipped. The only other Lachs coupe I've ever seen was already restored and for sale at $7k. That was 2 years ago.

So we're gonna do things the hard way, spend more money and time than necessary, and get exactly the car we want - without matching VIN numbers on the bolt on body panels lol. We'll do a bumper swap on it too but keep the original DBs as well.

Makes no sense, but this is not a rational hobby.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

bummer man. I thought u were getting the blue one? also this would be on my top list of colors if I were in the market. I just don't know how I would feel about fixing the rusty one, unless it has sentimental value to you.

and damn this 4-door is a steal....looks sweet too.

Last edited by audiquattrot; 08-29-2014, 10:44 AM.
            www.instagram.com/snwmble
            #snwmble

Current:
            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

that floor won't be too terrible if you have a welder. Just make the jackpoints out of multiple pieces instead of one pre-bent piece like that ebay listing and save yourself like $300.

Obviously seam seal and undercoat the hell out of it when you're finished. There is also a lot to say for a quality epoxy primer.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

It must be the love for silver.
                If it was me I would do the silver ix.
                Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  that floor won't be too terrible if you have a welder. Just make the jackpoints out of multiple pieces instead of one pre-bent piece like that ebay listing and save yourself like $300.

Obviously seam seal and undercoat the hell out of it when you're finished. There is also a lot to say for a quality epoxy primer.
                  good advice thanks.. I have a very good welder, but need to build up my skills like many folks on this forum have done. I'm also lucky to have a good fried with an E30 parts car, so I'll be cutting out the floor pan sections I need out myself.

Will probably strip the shell and get her dipped before doing the repairs. Hate working on all this stuff with all the undercoating and cr@p in there..

Long road ahead...

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Ok, you are in far worse shape than me. Subbed.
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Ha! thanks for the sub.

yeah it's a mess still. been working on our allroad and 318is and waiting on the sale of my replacement IX (read back a bit for the gory details). Plan is still to park it, strip her down and get the shell dipped. Will probably do most of the rust repair before that happens.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Some inspiration - http://www.ebay.com/itm/271774871061

present bid over $7k. Car has more miles than this one lol. but interior's been redone, wheels and paint as well. Don't see all that much done mechanically, so I think this bucket is in better shape that way.

UPDATE: this car sold for $10,500. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Series-ix-/271787803452
                        Last edited by bradnic; 04-05-2015, 04:18 PM.

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

That car is so clean! I've been watching it as well.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Change in plans.. parting her out

Well I've got another IX coupe. Just got her back from NJ.

91 coupe, 2 owner car, 123k miles, 30k in last 7 years

silky smooth engine idle
                            AW2 / black with ski bag rear. interior is mint with no cracks or splits (but it's comfort seats, not sport seats)
                            some rust damage but very manageable - CLEAN FLOOR PANS.
                            original ACS rear apron (no ACS front panel or spoiler unfortunately)
                            premium sound
                            maintained by Joel and Levent at Gutenparts these last 7 years.

unfortunately it's an auto, but I've got a full 5 speed IX drivetrain in hand so this is a no brainer. Will be posting a separate build thread, but here's a brief description of current body condition:

- both lower rear sections of fenders rusted through. will replace with new OEM fenders
                            - front edge of hood rusted through and probably not repairable. will replace with a new hood
                            - front rad support has pretty severe rust. I have a new OEM replacement panel so I'm just gonna replace it.
                            - rear end of battery box bottom is rusted through in usual place
                            - rear tail panel under the ACS apron has rust damage near the battery box as well. pretty extensive above the muffler tips too. license plate light holes also have pretty bad rust damage, so I will be swapping out the rear tail panel on this car - already have the OEM replacement piece.
                            - some rust on bottom of outer rockers. nothing severe.
                            - sunroof panel has pretty severe rust underneath at sides

This is much more manageable than the lachsilber coupe.

Current plans for the car
                            - 2 replacement IX wheels, all new caps (already sourced)
                            - rust repairs as described above
                            - replace deck lid (current one not original, and a bit rough on lower edge. not sure it's worth repairing)
                            - black sport seats (already sourced through my bud)
                            - 5 speed swap asap from the lachs IX, and new clutch
                            - swap over full suspension and brakes from the lachs IX
                            - replace the compressor and re-do the 134a conversion.
                            - replace dash
                            - 12 button OBC swap
                            - MT1 steering wheel (i *hate* the airbag wheel with a passion).

Pics shortly.
                            Last edited by bradnic; 04-06-2015, 09:10 PM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

was wondering what was going on with this car! congrats on the new ride....sounds like a much better platform to work on. Joel is the effin' man! E30 god imo. and 12-button OBC?
                              www.instagram.com/snwmble
                              #snwmble

Current:
                              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

ha hey Anthony.. yeah I've got a keeper now I think.
                                car came with the 6 button display.. I'm doing a 13 button OBC swap - module, harness and display box. will do do the swap when I replace the dash
                                Last edited by bradnic; 08-17-2015, 01:21 PM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X