diy: replacing m20 throttle cable bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diy: replacing m20 throttle cable bushing

The bushing on my m20 was working fine, but since I noticed the other missing half, I just have to replace it. I know your grandma, 5 years old, ects can do this, but for those who are not as talented may find this helpful.

tools:
    5mm wrench and a pliers
    or
    two set of pliers will work also

1. Bushing

2. Throttle cable

3. Used the 5mm or pliers to unscrew the nut while the other pliers to hold the yellow plastic piece.

4. Use one of the pliers to hold the cable and use your hand to unscrew the yellow plastic piece.

5. Use your hand to unclip this white clip

6. Pull on the throttle body lever with one hand and used the other hand to slide the cable out (there is a cut under the bracket like the one showed above it). Slide the white clip from the cable. CAUTION! Be careful as the little metal piece will fall out of the white clip as soon as it is out of the cable. (Shown in the next picture).

everything should be out

7. Now that everything is out of the way, push the cable out from the bushing and move the cable to the side. Old vs new

8. Press the new bushing in first. Any sort of lube with help. Now push the cable through the bushing and it will lock in place.

9. Carefully slide the white clip and cylinder metal piece into the cable. With one hand pulling the throttle lever and the other hand to press in the white clip.

10. Put everything back in its place. Adjust the cable by turning the yellow plastic piece until you can see the throttle lever starts to move. Tight the 5mm nut and its good to go.
    Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

very easy thing to do, but this is the standard on how to do a proper DIY writeup. lots of pictures, good job man

Comment

Great write-up!

I have one question, why would someone do this rather than replacing the whole cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Regnar75 View Post
        very easy thing to do, but this is the standard on how to do a proper DIY writeup. lots of pictures, good job man

thanks

Originally posted by 702pjc View Post
        Great write-up!

I have one question, why would someone do this rather than replacing the whole cable?
        the cable is working fine, its just a little stretched. Also, i have never see a throttle cable snap before, so a little adjustment work just fine.
        Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Billet aluminum throttle cable bushings to replace your worn/cracked bushings. Billet Aluminum Bushings eliminates cable sag and restores the EMC parameters to give a crisp throttle response. On some models (such as M60 cars, you cant even buy the factory bushing without replacing the whole throttle cable ($$$).
          www.carobd2shop.com

Comment

Thanks Mr. Vang.

While yes, it is an easy fix, the more detailed write-ups like this on anything e30 the better.
            Last edited by Bronzites; 04-04-2014, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
              the cable is working fine, its just a little stretched. Also, i have never see a throttle cable snap before, so a little adjustment work just fine.
              I had one go on me in my first e30. I was on the highway at night trying to accelerate but got no response. The cable had let go.

We tried to rig something up but it was too dangerous, so I had the car towed and replaced the cable that morning.

Comment

my M20 has that same yellow tint shit on it, what is it?

Comment

Cosmoline is the genericized trademark for a generic class of rust preventives, typically conforming to MIL-C-11796C Class 3, that are a brown colored wax-like mass; have a slight fluorescence; and have a petroleum-like odor and taste (as detected when working with it).

BMW thought it was a great idea to shoot all the engines (or most anyway) with Cosmoline. Used for rust prevention. Turns brown like that over time and most enthusiasts use products to remove that shizz. Purple power is one of the more common and useful choices. Its everywhere though so disassembly and cleaning to remove completely is typically the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
                    I had one go on me in my first e30. I was on the highway at night trying to accelerate but got no response. The cable had let go.

We tried to rig something up but it was too dangerous, so I had the car towed and replaced the cable that morning.
                    I had one seize on me, throttle stuck open. They can rust, might as well replace it. Cheap and easy.
                    Instagram
                    sigpic
                    Current: 99 M3
                    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Working...
                    X