Tightening up shifter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tightening up shifter...

I'm looking to tighten up my shifter. The crazy thing is I replaced everything as part of my project less than 100 miles ago (honestly Ive maybe put on 20 miles in half a year). It felt tight then but its gone back to being pretty sloppy.

I have a slightly different platform in that I put an M42 and G240 in my E21. Its pretty much an E30 shifter and selector rod, just a slightly shorter selector rod (shortened by me but professionally welded). I used some nylon washers at home since I didnt want to wait a week to get an order of $2 nylon washers from BMW. Im wondering if thats the issue.

I also wasnt able to get the old gearshift rod joint (25117503525) off the transmission so thats original.

Everything else is brand new. Im really not sure why but I can shift in to gears just fine but its very easy to throw it in to fourth when I want second and sorta easy tot hrow it in third instead of first. or Vice versa.

What can I do to get this thing as tight as a bolt action rifle?

Dssr and mount a shifter carrier to the inside of the trans tunnel.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, start with the front joint, considering it's age the foam is gone, and it will be loose on the selector.

After replacing all of the parts and using the washers in the right positions you could still be contending with worn transmission internals.

For example, I rebuilt the shifter on my 318i and on the one my Mom had about a week apart. Mine felt great and still does after years, while the other just didn't net much improvement. Since those were the same parts installed and test driven by the same person I can only surmise that the difference was internal to the transmission.

Also recently discovered that a ZHP knob, which a supplier must have accidentally sent to me, is a massive improvement to an already great stock shifter.

Comment

That rose joint (rod joint) makes a big difference because there's a cushion(replaceable) behind it that falls apart and makes it loosey.

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
          Dssr and mount a shifter carrier to the inside of the trans tunnel.
          Can you expound on mounting a shift carrier to the inside of the tunnel? Some sort of linkage to hold the carrier? My shift carrier was also shortened and reinforced.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          ...I can only surmise that the difference was internal to the transmission.

Also recently discovered that a ZHP knob, which a supplier must have accidentally sent to me, is a massive improvement to an already great stock shifter.
          Yea Ive heard of the ZHP shifter being a big improvement. I stuck with my original E21 shifter but maybe should try an upgrade.

Originally posted by uturn View Post
          That rose joint (rod joint) makes a big difference because there's a cushion(replaceable) behind it that falls apart and makes it loosey.
          I couldnt get the rod joint out when I tried. Transmission was already in the tunnel when I tried. A smarter man would have gotten it off before he mounted it to the M42 and tunnel.

Ill try again when I get back under it. Its sorta killing the ride for me so it will be a priority.

edit: doing some further reading, apparently earlier rod joints used a steel band and not a clip. I think I need to pry that off.
          Last edited by jaredmac11; 11-16-2018, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Get the plate shifter carrier from the early model e30, cut it up to fit on the tunnel, pop couple of rivnuts into the tunnel and mount it on top.
            sigpic

Comment

Grabbed a DSSR from garagistic, they had a Black Friday sale. Super helpful group. Asked if they had something for the size I was looking for and gave me the best fit.

Comment

Get the rebuild kit, too. Read up on the bitch clip. I had the transmission out already,so easier to see,access.

The shift of my E30 is lovely with a DSSR and rebuild of those worn components.
                ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I think I've got everything except for the rod selector joint rebuilt/replaced. I cant believe its foam that cushions these parts. How is foam supposed to hold up

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmac11 View Post
                    I think I've got everything except for the rod selector joint rebuilt/replaced. I cant believe its foam that cushions these parts. How is foam supposed to hold up
                    Hopes and dreams, some erroneously call it engineering, the same stuff that makes most automotive systems work!

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmac11 View Post
                      Grabbed a DSSR from garagistic, they had a Black Friday sale. Super helpful group. Asked if they had something for the size I was looking for and gave me the best fit.
                      Glad we can help!

Comment

Installed the DSSR today. Unfortunately my muffler shop installed the resonator almost under the driveshaft center support, so I was unable to completely drop the driveshaft. This made the job much more difficutlt.

That being said, the DSSR is a sharp improvement over the stock selector rod. Gives it a very firm shift feel with good feedback. Its not as nebulous between gears and shifting feels more rigid. Its a nice tactile feedback to shifting. If you havent touched your shifter at all, this kit will cover about of a third of what you will need to change. (Maybe garagistic will be a bro and extend the discount for this free advertising lol)

You still still need to replace the selector rod joint from the transmission (though I didnt see vast improvements even though the sponge was completely disintegrated). you will also want to replace the plastic shifter cup for the shifter and replace that rubber cylinder on the bottom shifter as well. I can get more specific if you have questions.

While youre there, you should definitely install a new selector rod shaft seal as well. Mine was leaking.

Comment

Working...
                        X