This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
    I'm going this route. Resto-mod for my OEM radio.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=421082
    Hmm, that looks really cool, but the BT board costs more than the new deck I bought.
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Is it possible to add HD radio to the factory radio using the BT card?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
        I'm going this route. Resto-mod for my OEM radio.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=421082
        Hmm, that looks really cool, but the BT board costs more than the new deck I bought.
        That's not surprising, especially if you bought that radio before @jaysterling's board became available.

Please keep in mind that your radio is 30 years old. It will absolutely need service for its internal power amp and the tape mechanism as both elements have parts that wear out and need replacing.

Unfortunately if you're relying on the tape deck you're on borrowed time as the rubber belts, capstans etc will inevitably fail. There's no practical way to repair the tape mechanism other than to swap it out. The swapped unit will also have old parts in it though.

Is it possible to add HD radio to the factory radio using the BT card?
        that's a great question. It would require a new hd radio tuner module, and a way to inject station metadata to the display. If you can live without the metadata display you could take an external hdradio module and use the latest cantaloupe board's aux in.
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

btw ymmv, but it's not clear to me the added channel content has really been all that compelling. I can take or leave the scrolling text and album art too - if I want album art I'll look at my phone screen.

as to digital broadcast vs analog, what I've usually found in my newer cars is if you can't receive analog due to poor signal quality you probably won't receive the HD-Radio digital signal either.

The cold, hard truth is that HD Radio is a format in search of an audience that never asked for it in the first place.
          Last edited by bradnic; 01-31-2019, 10:25 AM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Radio #3 - Model KE-83ZBM (Pioneer). Has been seen in a few late model E30's.
            This is the 4 channel Pioneer that used to be sold by BMW dealers as a "CD ready" radio upgrade. I have seen a 92 convertible with this radio as well. Here's a Jan 1990 Roundel ad showing this exact radio.

EDIT: just noted a later post from Aleman where he clarified that it is a 4 channel radio
            An eBay seller said this about Radio #3 Model KE-83ZBM (Pioneer):

A very nice used and tested BMW cassette player. BMW model Pioneer KE-83ZBM. Functions include: cassette, auto reverse, scan, AM/FM/WB. Will fit other E34 and E32 models. This can be used on the E30/E28/E24 with some modifications to your wiring. This is a 4-channel output radio, while the E30/E28/E24 used a 2-channel for the most part. This unit is designed to be used with a factory amp. A rare find.
            Here's the back of the KE83BM - note 4 speaker connectors, and a CD changer connector (the round "DIN" connector).

As @Aleman / OP mentioned earlier cars had the external fader in the HVAC panel, and 2 channel head units like the Alpine CM5905 and CM5907.

Take a look at this Jan 87 E30 brochure - note the CM5907 and the fader knob in the HVAC panel (man everything about that pic is just perfect isn't it...).

Some 87 cars and 88 IXes still had these fader buttons too - so they were NOT "CD ready". Instead of the 5905/7 they came with a 2 channel version of the Pioneer radio, Model KE-81ZBM. In fact my 88ix lachs/cardinal coupe has this exact setup. Check out the KE81 in this Motorweek video clip

KE81 front face - no mode switch on right end

KE81 rear face - no CD connector, only 2 speaker connectors

KE81 closeup on the connectors

Finally, since the rear of the 5908 slider isn't pictured on this thread I've included it here. Note again the CD connector and 4 channel speaker connections.

Based on all this info, it's safe to say that if your car came with that external fader knob, it had 2 channel wiring and is not "CD Ready".
            Last edited by bradnic; 04-22-2019, 12:28 PM.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

It looks like radio #5 is a Blaupunkt C22 (BP4836).

There is also similar model C52 (BP6262) and a host of 'Bavaria' models.

C52 (BP6262)

Bavaria C III BP1830

Bavaria Electronic CD

BAVARIA C BE0728

Bavaria C Business BE0774

Bavaria C Business RDS Pioneer KE-92ZBM

BAVARIA C Professional RDS BE1801

BAVARIA C Exclusiv BE0729

Professional RDS BE2455

Bavaria C Professional BE0776

Bavaria Electronic CD II SCD09 What's interesting about this one is that BMW lists the CD43 as the superseded model in the E30 ETK ( 65126909885).

More info here: http://www.e30owners.com/forums/show...-a-UK-1987-316
              Last edited by Andrew325is; 02-06-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

It looks like radio #5 is a Blaupunkt C22 (BP4836).

Bavaria Electronic CD II SCD09 What's interesting about this one is that BMW lists the CD43 as the superseded model in the E30 ETK ( 65126909885).

I have two of these. One works/worked when stored, and the other is a parts deck.They are cartridge CD decks. Disc goes in cartridge, cartridge goes in the deck.
                I have a box of NOS cartridges for them as well
                Originally posted by codyep3
                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                2010 F650gs twin
                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                  I have two of these. One works/worked when stored, and the other is a parts deck.They are cartridge CD decks. Disc goes in cartridge, cartridge goes in the deck.
                  I have a box of NOS cartridges for them as well
                  That's awesome. I remember an old Mac computer at school when I was a kid had a cartridge CD-ROM drive and I played the game Cosmic Osmo on it. :)

Comment

CD changer cable information:

I'm looking to either buy or DIY build my own cable that would have DIN 13 as shown on the CM5908 rear views, that goes to DIN 8 pin for the CD changers that reputedly matched the CM5908. These are Alpine units exclusively (ASFAIK, but maybe Blaupunct made a compatible one?).

I'm very grateful to the community for having joined together to help and supply information. There is reference in the forum to being able to find online the pin-to-pin configuration for this cable, but I haven't (yet) found it. I can not confirm M-bus or Ai-Net either for the TR-1000, TR1016, or TR-1008, although, they must all me the same if they all run off a CM5908. Any help appreciated, and I'll post up what I find so others coming later can DIY. It is easy to find the connectors, and there are plenty of cables that come DIN-8 both ends that could be modified to have the DIN 13 at the other end. But I need the pin data. (and if anyone can find the 90 degree 13 DIN pin connector ? I haven't found that, only inline which may be tight.)

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll edit this post to be purely informative if I can get this info. Don't know where else traffic would see it.
                    sigpic
                    Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
                    http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

Has anyone got or seen this HU?
                      I couldnt find any info on it.. my BMW is a 1990 with some sort of 'premium audio' option.. maybe it was Australia specific?

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
                        Has anyone got or seen this HU?
                        I couldnt find any info on it.. my BMW is a 1990 with some sort of 'premium audio' option.. maybe it was Australia specific?
                        Most likely an AUS specific head unit.
                        At the time BMW AUS were fitting BMW branded Blaupunkts and Alpine head units to these vehicles.
                        E30 320i vert
                        But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

I am a total newby to this forum but have been a BMW enthusiast for over 45 years. I admit to joining this forum to find out about a radio but it relates to E30.

I have a BMW radio that is probably very obscure, and am trying to find out more about it and a possible replacement. I bought it around 1984 from Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, CA. I think it was built for BMW North America as a warranty replacement for the Alpine CM5804 that was used in the early E30. It was built by Audio Systems Inc. (ASI) in the USA, but I can find no information on this company. It is model number DL-9402D and I can find very little information on it either. No one can find information on it to repair it so I am looking to find a direct replacement for it. It appears the Alpine CM5804 is a direct replacement with respect to the electrical connections but I don't know if it will fit the frame used with the ASI unit. I am told it is probably a standard DIN opening and should fit but the locking mechanisms seems to be different.

Here are some photos of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010137.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	9915766

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010138.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.6 KB ID:	9915767

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010141.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	9915768

Any help you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwitt View Post
                            I am a total newby to this forum but have been a BMW enthusiast for over 45 years. I admit to joining this forum to find out about a radio but it relates to E30.

I have a BMW radio that is probably very obscure, and am trying to find out more about it and a possible replacement. I bought it around 1984 from Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, CA. I think it was built for BMW North America as a warranty replacement for the Alpine CM5804 that was used in the early E30. It was built by Audio Systems Inc. (ASI) in the USA, but I can find no information on this company. It is model number DL-9402D and I can find very little information on it either. No one can find information on it to repair it so I am looking to find a direct replacement for it. It appears the Alpine CM5804 is a direct replacement with respect to the electrical connections but I don't know if it will fit the frame used with the ASI unit. I am told it is probably a standard DIN opening and should fit but the locking mechanisms seems to be different.

Here are some photos of it.

Click image for larger version Name:	P1010137.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	9915766

Click image for larger version Name:	P1010138.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.6 KB ID:	9915767

Click image for larger version Name:	P1010141.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	9915768

Any help you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.
                            I recently purchased a Blaupunkt Atlanta SQR 47 for my '87 325is thinking it was "OEM". Finding out it probably isn't, BUT, I found ALL the factory documentation at https://www.radiomuseum.org/

It took a couple days and using a VPN to get all 36 pages but it's all available.

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post

hmmm. my 87 325is with premium came with the #2 headunit and fader......

can anybody tell me where i could get a wiring harness? I want to hook the old one back up.

sent from 1987 via e30

6 years later, I am trying to find out similar information for an 87 325is.

Seems it wouldn't have come with a CM5908 if it had the fader in the dash?

I was told Atlanta SQR 47, I found one, but now I am not so sure.

DId you every find anything else about this?

Comment

Originally posted by LBC28730 View Post

6 years later, I am trying to find out similar information for an 87 325is.

Seems it wouldn't have come with a CM5908 if it had the fader in the dash?

I was told Atlanta SQR 47, I found one, but now I am not so sure.

DId you every find anything else about this?
                                an 87 came with a 2 channel radio, either the Alpine CM5907 or the pioneer KE81ZBM

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X