Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northern View Post
    Back when I started working my current job, AeroUnion had just gone under. We did heavy maintenance/serious structural work on these P-3's for as cheap as we could make it (at their request). When they went, the left one of these P-3's in one of our hangars, and I saw it first hand. I've never seen a wing that was more patch than original wing, just loaded up with massive doublers full of Hucks and HiLoks. That old thing sat there for a couple years before somebody decided to scrap it a few months back.
    Yes, the last year that AeroUnion was around the owner was driving the company into the ground. Cheap as possible was the name of the game. Yes, at least one of them was pretty long in the tooth.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

I recently found a Facebook page that has some seriously interesting SR-71 pics as well as XB70 pics. Here is a small sample.

YF-12 at Groom lake

First flight of the SR-71 (I've never seen this shot this clear)

J58 cutaway

YF-12 and an SR-71 with a T38 chase plane.

D21 drone on the radar test range (never seen this pic before)

XB70 windtunnel test models

Making the carbon leading edge pieces for either an A12 or SR-71

I'd kill for this poster

Loading AIM-47 missiles onto a YF12

Unfinished A-12

Flight prepping SR-71 980/NASA 844 early in the morning at Edwards AFB.

XB70 at speed.

A12 being placed on the RCS stick

One of my favorite shots. Note the inlet spike being replaced.

Early morning roll out.

YF-12 using an F117 pitot tube (extremely rare shot taken in the mid '70s. It was very early in the Have Blue or Hopeless Diamond program)

Just a really cool shot.

Will
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
          The result after this happened

Will
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

real cool (and previously unseen by me) pics.......love this thread

I wonder if "flying" a D-21 was cooler back in the day than flying a pred or reaper is today.....
            e92 M3
            e30 M3 s52 swap
            w203 C240 wagon (DD)
            190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

Originally posted by FLYNAVY View Post
              real cool (and previously unseen by me) pics.......love this thread

I wonder if "flying" a D-21 was cooler back in the day than flying a pred or reaper is today.....
              A D21 was an autonomous drone. It flew itself. I think it had the same navigation system as the SR-71/A-12 and would fly a preset course. Once it reached the end of the course, it would eject its payload of sensors and cameras to be caught by another plane while it fell to the ground with several large parachutes or it would be fished out of the ocean by a hopefully near by ship waiting for it.

Most of the pics I posted above are VERY rare. My source has written several books and has done a lot to declassify quite a bit of info. The first time I saw most of these shots I was expecting the CIA to come and arrest me.

956 at Edwards, the canopy cover is apparently off an A-12

971 landing at Palmdale I think.

Pics don't get any more rare than this. Q bay camera settings from an A-12

Where the J-58 started. This is number 4 of 10 FXJ-58s on the test stand.

D21B in flight

How cool is this shot? A pair of U2Bs and an XB70

Will
              Last edited by BlackbirdM3; 05-09-2015, 09:27 AM.
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Good stuff
                my 88 325i sedan

sigpic

Comment

So this became the oldest plane I've flown on. Built in 1929.

Will
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Cause the stupid Youtube tags don't work:

FULL HD VERSIONS AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD HERE:https://vimeo.com/wickworksThe 2014 Hornet Ball Video made by "Wingnut"! The Hornet Ball is an annual event consi...

A short video made by "Wingnut" for the 2013 Hornet Ball. The Hornet Ball (Strike Fighter Ball Pacific) is an annual event consisting of all the West coast N...
                    Estoguy
                    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Clearly they have fabbed up some rugged mounts!! Sweet video!

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post

Clearly they have fabbed up some rugged mounts!! Sweet video!
                        Cool, but still more than 10K feet below a U2 cruise altitude, and 20K feet lower than the SR-71 cruise, and 30K feet less than the A12. Kinda puts how special those 3 are, into perspective. Still, its the only way a civilian is going to get anywhere near that high. I'd have to guess it was right at its max service ceiling.

Will
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

I was in Dryden/Edwards all through the 90's and 2000's seen numerous 71's flying, had one do a super sonic high altitude fly buy, almost knocked our trailer off the mounts, double wide, there awesome and the history,

one of the old guys in out dept was a test pilot on the 71 program, I have a poster from Dryden of the 71 flying, he walks in looks at the tail numbers, say "Oh, I flew that one," he was in his 70's then, really cool pics,
                          88 M3 Lachsliber glass top, 90 IS project,

Comment

Official Aviation Thread...

Took the 180 to the ranch w/ my sister for the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            sigpic

Comment

planning on taking some flight classes [fixed wing] when i've got the extra cash from selling my house, anything i should know about ahead of time? seems pretty straight forward, just bring money and get a FAA physical, yeah?

also, anyone ever played the microsoft flight simulator x? how good of a representation is it compared to the planes you've actually flown?

Comment

Originally posted by red baron View Post
                                Took the 180 to the ranch w/ my sister for the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                how do you like the uflymike/bose a13 headset combination in a prop plane. i used to fly with a few guys that used them in regional jets.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X