Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by julianaM42 View Post
    how do u like the powerflex bushings?
    No complaints thus far. My biggest concern was them squeaking but they have been nice and quiet.

Comment

great writeup

Comment

Great writeup, good to know!

Still would rather drop the rear subframe and do those bushings at the same time, ive been waiting to do this. I got a heavy clunk in the rear end and think its time to do this whole job :/
        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Looks so easy!
          sigpic

Always chasin'

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
            Great writeup, good to know!

Still would rather drop the rear subframe and do those bushings at the same time, ive been waiting to do this. I got a heavy clunk in the rear end and think its time to do this whole job :/
            I'm getting that same rear end clunk myself.

I'm going to do all the bushings front/rear, shocks, springs, fuel tank.... basically everything under the car all at once. Any tips? What has to come off and what can stay on the subframe if I remove the whole thing as a unit?
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
            Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by brianpgriset View Post
              No complaints thus far. My biggest concern was them squeaking but they have been nice and quiet.
              those powerflex look dark blue. i thought they were suppose to be purple? its the street kit right?
              Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
                I think it would be easier to just drop the whole subframe, no messing with half shafts just undo the trailing arm bolts once droped and pop them out of the diff.
                Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                just drop the whole subframe. it is vastly easier and requires much less painstaking disassembly. plus, you can address lots of other issues while you are in there.
                Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
                I dropped the whole rear assembly out, separated the trailing arms from the sub-frame and pressed out the bushings just hanging there. I didn't have to mess with the e-brake assembly or anything else of that sort.
                Originally posted by TimKninja View Post

Couldn't agree more. More often than not, if the TAB's are bad, the subframe bushings are bad also.

Really consider going with the OE rubber bushings. Everyone thinks the urethane is so much better cause their bushings were so worn out in the first place, but if they'd just gone with the OE they would realize how great it is and they wouldn't be complaining about all the noise and creaking the urethane makes. And remember to tighten the TAB's with the suspension loaded, otherwise you'll eventually end up doing the job again. Tip:You'll need a ratcheting wrench. The space is tight, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                  And remember to tighten the TAB's with the suspension loaded, otherwise you'll eventually end up doing the job again. Tip:You'll need a ratcheting wrench. The space is tight, but it works.
                  Why is this? I don't wanna do this twice lol (and I've already done it all once).

Also, how do you guys lube urethane? On the outside of the bushing where it fits on the trailing arm, on the inside between the urethane and the metal sleeve, between the metal sleeve and the bolt, or just everywhere/a combination?
                  The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                  Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                  2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                  2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                    Why is this? I don't wanna do this twice lol (and I've already done it all once).
                    Because otherwise once you lower the car the bushings will bind and eventually fail. I used ramps under the rear wheels to pre-load the bushings.

Again, I used OE rubber bushings, but the same rule applies.

Comment

excellent write up. +1 for torque specs
                      OO=[][]=OO Zinno 1989 325i

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=257295

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                        those powerflex look dark blue. i thought they were suppose to be purple? its the street kit right?
                        You're right, they are purple and are the street bushes. I lubed mine well with the supplied copper/oil lube and still have no squeaks.

I didn't drop the subframe as the po had just recently replaced the subframe bushings.

Comment

Sorry to bring this back from the dead.. Need to subscribe as I will be doing this soon..

Ordered Lemforder bushings - going to do the bearings at the same time...

Comment

Where is the proper place to put the rear jack stands when removing the rear subframe? I want to lower it a bit so I don't have to empty my gas tank(it's full) to get the passenger inner bolt out.

When re torquing the bolts, can I just jack the trailing arm up to simulate a loaded suspension?

What's the torque spec on thoseT/A bolts? Fck they were/are tight!
                            Originally posted by codyep3
                            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                            2010 F650gs twin
                            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                              Where is the proper place to put the rear jack stands when removing the rear subframe? I want to lower it a bit so I don't have to empty my gas tank(it's full) to get the passenger inner bolt out.

When re torquing the bolts, can I just jack the trailing arm up to simulate a loaded suspension?

What's the torque spec on thoseT/A bolts? Fck they were/are tight!
                              I put them on the pinch weld in front of the drain holes. Gave lots of clearance to access the subframe.

Why would you start this job with a full tank?

I did mine with the whole subframe on the floor then raised the assembly up and secured it as a unit.

Spec is like 20-30 ft lbs iirc but they're locknuts so they stay put like glue. Get new nuts if you haven't already. You'll need them for the driveshaft and diff bushing too.
                              - Josh
                              1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                              Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Lol, I store the car with a full tank. I pulled it out of storage to do this job. I didn't know the damn filler neck tube was in the way of the bolt. Stupid design. Lol
                                Originally posted by codyep3
                                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                                2010 F650gs twin
                                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Working...
                                X