regular old m60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
    which problems did the chip fix, specifically?

This for me too

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Comment

i was having these exact problems. low idle, stalling after engine braking, poor acceleration in various rpm ranges, backfiring whilst off throttle. Turns out the auto ecu's have different maps causing manual swaps to run kind of funny, but my lightweight flywheel exacerbated the problem making it really obnoxious to drive. After a lot of googling i've found a lot of threads on 540's having the same issues after manual swaps, and discussions on the differences between the two ecu's

Comment

Originally posted by dothadance View Post
        it's absolutely ridiculous that it took over a month to get to me.
        MarkD sucks

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
          MarkD sucks
          Crazy to think that I've known his name for almost a decade now, the chip works but the customer service wasnt anything to write home about

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a very similar problem with mine, swap the ecu would run well for a little while and then start playing up again. Thought it was bad ecu or chip. Tried all sorts of parts and test's.
            Changed my coolant temp sensor for the ecu and boom, everything's smooth and nice again....may be an idea to check the sensor with another good one?

Comment

Originally posted by WYZEUP View Post
              I had a very similar problem with mine, swap the ecu would run well for a little while and then start playing up again. Thought it was bad ecu or chip. Tried all sorts of parts and test's.
              Changed my coolant temp sensor for the ecu and boom, everything's smooth and nice again....may be an idea to check the sensor with another good one?
              Hmmm that's pretty interesting. I never thought to check that out. As for now the problem has stopped, but I've only driven it for a few miles, so we shall see.

Comment

I have none of those problems lol.
                Tune will fix my AFR problem however
                We're in deep now boys
                1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                1988 340iL - Track car
                My M60 V8 swap thread here
                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Compression tested today and she's still around 130-140. Was hoping driving it around knocked some carbon loose. Got a new maf and the only code I get now is 1263 for what I'm assuming is the lack of a carbon canister. Gonna leakdown test this weekend.

Comment

I have 1263 as well for purge valve.
                    I've tried multiple different resistor values on those ECU pins, and i haven't had any luck clearing it. I have an actual purge valve i guess i might just try to wire into the glovebox see if that works.
                    We're in deep now boys
                    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                    1988 340iL - Track car
                    My M60 V8 swap thread here
                    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
                      I have 1263 as well for purge valve.
                      I've tried multiple different resistor values on those ECU pins, and i haven't had any luck clearing it. I have an actual purge valve i guess i might just try to wire into the glovebox see if that works.
                      That's the only code I have as well and I was thinking of doing just that- wiring in the purge valve itself so that the DME sees it.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

leakdown tested today and everything was sub 35%. Maybe i'm just being paranoid...? idk sometimes it feels fast sometimes it doesn't. i'll worry about it again once i get a proper diff.

Comment

car has been running fabulously for the last year or so, doing some touch ups here and there, nothing crazy. but about a week or two ago i noticed a slight misfire and my engine limiting itself to about 5200 rpm, and i can feel it start to struggle around 4500, and instead of a WABOBOBOBOBOB, the limiter is more like a wob-wob-wob-wob. if that makes sense... hahaha. And the last two times i drove it it did this weird thing where it seems like a power blip where she just dies for a split second almost like she shorts out. Both times were different days, one off throttle and one on, neither were at particularly high rpms. not sure if the two issues correlate, but i would have to assume that they do. ive been out of town for two weeks and was hoping to get some potential insight before i get back and start digging in..

My current plan of attack:
                          shoot the exhaust manifolds with my ir thermometer to ensure each cylinder is firing properly
                          pull the plugs and make sure even wear.
                          check fuel pressure
                          Last edited by dothadance; 02-11-2020, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Don't remember the specifics, but how old are your coils?
                            Are you OBDI or II? If OBDII you should be able to pull misfire counts from the DME and figure out which cylinder(s) is having problems.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              Don't remember the specifics, but how old are your coils? Are you OBDI or II? If OBDII you should be able to pull misfire counts from the DME and figure out which cylinder(s) is having problems.
                              OBD1, and I'm pretty sure the coils are original to the engine, lmao. I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow! Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a lack of fuel pressure to me. I had essentially identical symptoms multiple times as I worked through fueling issues on my m60. Pretty easy to T into the supply line at the rail and go for a drive.
                                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                                X