Can you look over my tune? 2.9L M20 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
    Those negative values are on the area that engine never reaches. So it doesn't matter. But for me it mostly looks like that the tuner took some readymade m20 turbo map from internet and retarted boosted section of the map by 3-8 degrees to make it "safe" and called it a day.

He pulled a ton of timing, even at 100kpa. 100kpa at 1000rpm is most certainly reached when dumping the throttle just off idle, no need for it to be pulled back to 8 degrees there.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      He pulled a ton of timing, even at 100kpa. 100kpa at 1000rpm is most certainly reached when dumping the throttle just off idle, no need for it to be pulled back to 8 degrees there.
      Probaply. I'm not that kind of expert with m20 that I could tell by degree if ignition map is ok :D But that map looked so familiar that I have sure seen that before besides the retarded top section. Which is dead giveaway because of the negative values.

Comment

The car was tuned over a period of 3 days, and he said he made the map completely from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

3 days?!?! Takes me about 1.5hr to nail a street tune and about 6-8 pulls on a dyno for max effort. But, to be fair, I have tuned a lot of m20's....
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Not full 3 days of course, and also my coil pack died and then the spark plug wires died too. But still I wanted to call BS on him but what can I do?

Comment

Oh and also he had to do a fair bit of rewiring and tidying up the existing wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT StudMuffiin View Post
                But still I wanted to call BS on him but what can I do?

Get a professional tune, then get him in the car and load his tune after a short drive with a real one :p
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

So does your car feel pretty slow or what?

Comment

3days and you get that as a result. How much did you pay this "tuner" ?

Maybe I should be a "tuner"....

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                      So does your car feel pretty slow or what?

Well it doesn’t feel slow or fast. It’s sitting in my garage with a blown head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                        3days and you get that as a result. How much did you pay this "tuner" ?

Maybe I should be a "tuner"....

I’m definitely going to have a talk with him and figure out what is the reason the tune looks like garbage. The thing is, where I live I’m super limited to tuners. I can basically pick from 3 of them, and 2 of them have reputations of blowing many engine on the dyno, and the tuner I went with blew his own trumpet quite a bit, but some of my friends who had their cars tuned from him have had good results so I don’t really know what’s going on

Comment

You haven't really said, but are you trying to identify if his tune was the cause of your blown HG?

Have you spent any time looking at other M20 tunes or trigger wheel settings to understand what people are saying?
                          http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

UPDATE: the head was finally pulled off today, and we discovered that the head cracked even though it has welded coolant jackets. I’m gonna throw in a new head and put it back together, then let my tuner finish the tune and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT StudMuffiin View Post
                              UPDATE: the head was finally pulled off today, and we discovered that the head cracked even though it has welded coolant jackets. I’m gonna throw in a new head and put it back together, then let my tuner finish the tune and go from there.

While you're in there try and figure out why the head cracked. I'd suspect the two main causes of this issue would be over temp and/or preignition. Both of those could be caused by poor tuning.

Comment

Bump to get some more opinions

Comment

Working...
                                X