M42 injector issues or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 injector issues or something else?

Been a while since I've posted here, car has been fine until this week. I decided to replace the leaking plastic coolant pipe and as a while I was in there did the "mess under the intake" mod.

Buttoned everything up and was finishing the bleeding process when the engine stumbled while I was revving it. The Peake codes were 64 ("unspecified DME output stage") and C9 ("emission (Lambda control))."

I cleared the codes, restarted and idled fine, no CEL, drove it around the neighborhood for a bit max speed 35-40. After about 20 minutes or so car stumbled again (after a 3k+ rev), almost died and then was fine. I made it home, saw the same codes, cleared them and parked it.

This morning went out and drove it again, idled fine, after about 20 minutes in, same stumble same codes. Also smelled a bit of gasket burning so I went back and checked everything. Pulled the throttle body and upper intake and found that the lower intake manifold nuts were loose. Put everything back together with a better torque wrench, cleared codes, disconnected/reconnected the battery. Tried again.

Car idled fine, this time drove it for about a half hour, ran the tach up to about 3k a few times with no issue, ran it up to 4k eased off and car stumbled, flashed the CEL, then shortly a solid CEL, and I limped the car home. This time the reader showed Code 20 (Fuel injectors, Cyl 2,4), and the 64 code. Cleared the codes, disconnected and reconnected the battery, restarted but still ran rough though only showing the 64 and C9 codes. Parked it and decided to call it a day.

Car has close to 300k on it and expect this is first time the upper/lower intake manifolds have been off. Bottom inch or so of the runners on the lower intake were coated with sludge with the injector caps barely visible. I cleaned out the runners with what was on hand (carb cleaner, brake cleaner, shop towels) and used a soft toothbrush to loosen the crud around the injectors. They weren't leaking but looked to be the originals.

I'm wondering if the injectors are the issue for all of the above, and my effort to clean rather than pulling them from the rail and replacing them obviously didn't help.

Before I start looking for a new set I was wondering if I'm missing something? I used new hoses and clamps for the mess under the intake mod and all are tight. The valve cover is weeping near the firewall which is the next project but car wasn't throwing any codes or having any running issues prior to the removing the manifolds for the coolant pipe repair.

On the plus side, the new coolant pipe is not leaking.

Insights welcomed!
    1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
    1991 318is: raw DD
    2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

May have solved it. Loose plug from the injector plug board to the fitting in the black plastic box over the starter. Plugged in but the connection wasn't tight. Pushing hard on the plug smoothed out the idle. Just went out and flogged it with no issues. Could be the answer,
    1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
    1991 318is: raw DD
    2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

Comment

Working...
    X