Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ix oil pressure loss

Hello all, noobie here.
    I just serviced my ix. 1986, 170k miles. After changing the oil and filter, the engine will not make oil pressure. Factory oil filter, Castrol 10-30 high mileage. Seems as though the relief valve just randomly stuck or the pump lost prime. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    artbo

Is your oil pressure light on or do you have a aftermarket gauge?

I only ask because I changed my oil once and jarred the oil pressure wire loose and it rubbed against the fan. This grounded the circuit and made the light come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oil pressure loss

Thanks for your reply. The engine has only a warning light. The sender and wire are ok. The filter does not fill with oil.

Comment

The oil pumps do fail occasionally.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Oil pressure loss

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          The oil pumps do fail occasionally.
          That is true, though it usually takes something more catastrophic than draining the oil🤔

Comment

Originally posted by artbo View Post
            That is true, though it usually takes something more catastrophic than draining the oil��
            If the pump is getting weak, I could see draining the oil completely preventing it from priming.

To be honest, I don’t know what else could cause a failure to prime other than a pump failure or a blockage.

Edit: One thing that I would probably do is spend a few bucks on the eta spud and delete the oil cooler. I do it on all my M20s as the oil cooler doesan’t do anything meaningful, and it greatly simplifies oil changes.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Could the intermediate shaft have broken, or maybe the little hex shaft that actually turns the pump? I've never heard of anything like that before, but these cars are getting quite old.

Or maybe the bypass valve is stuck open? IIRC that bypasses the filter, and would result in low pressure.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Pull the timing cover and belt off and turn the intermediate shaft with a drill?
                Although that would require removing the radiator...

ETA: The 90 degree oil pump drive is similar to a Chevy distributor/oil pump drive. Did the M20's ever have the distributor on the side of the block rather than the front of the cam?
                A common technique with domestic V8's with the distributor driven off the cam is to modify a spare distributor into a "priming tool" which installs in place of the distributor, but does not mesh with the drive gear on the cam. The priming tool is turned with a power drill until oil shows up at the top of every pushrod. That indicates the engine oil system is full and it's safe to start the engine for the first time.
                I don't know enough about M20's to know if something like that could be done at the 90 degree oil pump drive.

Also, and I hate to even bring it up... but have you checked your timing belt?
                Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 03-16-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I had the oil pressure warning light come on once. Had it towed to a buddys shop. When it got there everything seemed fine with the oil pressure and no warning light.

Couple weeks later, driving along I started getting the warning light again but ignored it figuring there was something wrong with the wiring. Shortly there after the motor started making bad sounds and eventually just stopped.

Upon tearing down the engine they found that the little plastic flapper door in the oil pan had broke free and covered the oil pick up therefore starving the head of oil. Luckily the only damage was to the head and not anything in the block.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oil pressure loss

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    Could the intermediate shaft have broken, or maybe the little hex shaft that actually turns the pump? I've never heard of anything like that before, but these cars are getting quite old.

Or maybe the bypass valve is stuck open? IIRC that bypasses the filter, and would result in low pressure.
                    Thanks for the response. Intermediate shaft is good. Thought the pump drive gears might be nylon, but they are steel and ok. Vertical shaft is ok as well. Will see what I can determine as far as bypass valve though I think that would require pulling pan/engine😱

Comment

Oil pressure loss

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                      Pull the timing cover and belt off and turn the intermediate shaft with a drill?
                      Although that would require removing the radiator...

ETA: The 90 degree oil pump drive is similar to a Chevy distributor/oil pump drive. Did the M20's ever have the distributor on the side of the block rather than the front of the cam?
                      A common technique with domestic V8's with the distributor driven off the cam is to modify a spare distributor into a "priming tool" which installs in place of the distributor, but does not mesh with the drive gear on the cam. The priming tool is turned with a power drill until oil shows up at the top of every pushrod. That indicates the engine oil system is full and it's safe to start the engine for the first time.
                      I don't know enough about M20's to know if something like that could be done at the 90 degree oil pump drive.

Also, and I hate to even bring it up... but have you checked your timing belt?
                      Thanks! Prior to motronic engine control, roughly 1984 the m20’s did have a distributor on the side of the block which drove the oil pump. Have used the drill trick on fresh Ford motors and may try that next. I think I can fab a longer drive shaft and remove the top gear.
                      I just replaced the timing belt as part of my service.

Comment

Oil pressure loss

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
                        I had the oil pressure warning light come on once. Had it towed to a buddys shop. When it got there everything seemed fine with the oil pressure and no warning light.

Couple weeks later, driving along I started getting the warning light again but ignored it figuring there was something wrong with the wiring. Shortly there after the motor started making bad sounds and eventually just stopped.

Upon tearing down the engine they found that the little plastic flapper door in the oil pan had broke free and covered the oil pick up therefore starving the head of oil. Luckily the only damage was to the head and not anything in the block.
                        I’m not to the pulling the motor point, yet😳 but that may be the only alternative! Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                        X