Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the flywheel rubs the block if you dont.

Comment

Yeah, it won't fit if you don't. At least not when using the g260

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
        Amazing, thank you!

Parts list would be great for reference.

Absolutely necessary to shave down the m20 single mass flywheel? What happens if you skip this?

Mock everything up and you will see the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        /// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

Anyone have any experience with fitting a Z3 exhaust manifold on an e30?
          91 318iS - aluminum M52B28 + ZF320 + 3.15 Torsen

Comment

so I go a SETA 88 325 (e?) with G260 transmission which I believe has the dual mass FW.... is it safe to use or should I be looking into getting a 325I Flywheel?

Comment

Hello everyone. My first post! I'm sorry if this has been covered bet there's SO much to sift through. My daughter and I are doing a M50 swap in a 1991 318is with a G240 gearbox in it. I see a lot of talk about G260s but can we use the G240?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by chilone View Post
                Hello everyone. My first post! I'm sorry if this has been covered bet there's SO much to sift through. My daughter and I are doing a M50 swap in a 1991 318is with a G240 gearbox in it. I see a lot of talk about G260s but can we use the G240?

Thanks.

first response:
                http://​​​​​​​https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/e30-technical-forums/24v-engine-swaps/m50-52-s50-52/215116-m50-with-a-g240
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

In regards to using the single mass m20 flywheel with the G260 trans on a S50 swap, when shaving it down, is it best to just shave down the area hitting the rear main seal bolts, or should I just take down the whole back side a few mms and re balance?

Comment

I'd say if you're already paying for the bulk of the setup/balance work, you may as well get the thing lightened.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I think I might've lucked out with the flywheel I bought. It's the E21 323i lightweight M20 flywheel 11221264517 that is all ready missing the ring on the back that the normal M20 flywheel has (which I assume is the part that needs to be machined down in the first place since the back is nearly flush with the ring gear). We'll see if the starter on the ix M20 will work I guess. Anyone know if I need to get a euro 323i starter to match that flywheel?

Comment

Originally posted by dylhaus View Post
                        I think I might've lucked out with the flywheel I bought. It's the E21 323i lightweight M20 flywheel 11221264517 that is all ready missing the ring on the back that the normal M20 flywheel has (which I assume is the part that needs to be machined down in the first place since the back is nearly flush with the ring gear). We'll see if the starter on the ix M20 will work I guess. Anyone know if I need to get a euro 323i starter to match that flywheel?

If my memory is correct, the E21 and E30 M20 flywheels have the same ring gear tooth count/profile. The E30 starter is half the weight and smaller than the E21 starter so several folks have done that swap as an upgrade when rebuilding their engine. I think you are good to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X