E30 --> e36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
    Same. They look absolutely fantastic to me.
    Eh, they're overpriced today. What you really want is an S52 swapped 318ti, you get more fast and more 90s shiek for less money.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
      I keep eyeing clean E36 M3's
      I love the lines on them, always have.

Was that car on Autotrader?
      It was, of all places.

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
      Love it. With that mileage, you have years and years of driving.

The one thing, I would do, is go through the cooling system. I mean replace the radiator etc....its about $900 in parts. Dont cheap out or think twice.

I am sure, its been done already. I would do at 70k intervals or just make sure you flush the coolant every other year, if you want to postpone til 80k.

I really ignored my E36 for 10 years until finally the headgasket blew.

Just keep the head cool and you wont regret it. The job isnt that expensive but you'll find yourself doing lots of preventive maintenance while your in there and the tabs will double or even triple.
      Everything in the cooling system has been replaced with the exception of radiator. I've been eyeing the CFE rads.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Eh, they're overpriced today. What you really want is an S52 swapped 318ti, you get more fast and more 90s shiek for less money.
      Depending on condition, they are either appreciating or remaining pretty steady. They are definitely getting up there in price.

I saw your listing for the ti. I bet that car is a riot. Someone will scoop that car up and be so happy.
      Past: 1987 325iS, Bilsteins - HR Sports

Present: 1999 M3, Koni Yellows - HR Sports - GC Camber Plates - UUC Swaybars - UUC SSK - AFE Intake - Stromung Catback

2009 Mazdaspeed3, Short Ram Intake - Turbo Inlet Pipe - 2nd cat Delete - Catback - Fuel Pump Internals - Cobb Accessport - Stratified E30 tune - 294/342 - SPC Camber Arms - CPE Rear Motor Mount

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        You read my mind, but that still hasn't sold yet?!
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by JTDay View Post
          I saw your listing for the ti. I bet that car is a riot. Someone will scoop that car up and be so happy.
          Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
          You read my mind, but that still hasn't sold yet?!
          It is, it'll do north of 140 pretty quickly and will keep up with a surprising selection of cars on the highway. But, no, haven't even had someone drive out to inspect it, and it's here on bimmerforums and CL. Maybe it's a bit too niche of a car, or maybe people have just spent all of their fun budget for the year, I know I have.

Comment

Ban
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Yeah, TBH I never really hated the E36 - but they haven't aged well at all. The M3 is definitely the best aged, but the interiors are horrible. So much cheap plastic.. Sagging headliners.. door panels that fall apart.

I don't mind looking at them but I could never live with one.

E30s had heated seats too, btw.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've lived with and worked on both e30s and e36s and I think the e36 has aged fine. The interiors are not horrible. E36s I've owned were both '98 328s with over 180k and the door panels (sedan and coupe) were solid; maybe they used a better glue later in production. I've seen plenty e30 door panels warp, bubble, and delaminate. The armrests on e36s are way nicer instead of just being a hunk of molded rubber, and overall the panel design is just better looking. The plastic feels no cheaper than an e30s. The dashes don't crack or warp, the vinyl texture throughout is way nicer, and no accordion e-brake boot. The lower trunk loading height is really nice, and fold down rear seats are a plus. The sport seats have all held up with no stitching or mechanical failures. The headliners are garbage though.

IMO E36s are better than e30s in every way except for feeling heavier. The car that I'd love to build is a '96 or '97 with a stroked aluminum z3 engine, cf hood, and the usual suspension stuff. It's just too bad finding a slicktop is impossible.
                My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                  I've lived with and worked on both e30s and e36s and I think the e36 has aged fine. The interiors are not horrible. E36s I've owned were both '98 328s with over 180k and the door panels (sedan and coupe) were solid; maybe they used a better glue later in production. I've seen plenty e30 door panels warp, bubble, and delaminate. The armrests on e36s are way nicer instead of just being a hunk of molded rubber, and overall the panel design is just better looking. The plastic feels no cheaper than an e30s. The dashes don't crack or warp, the vinyl texture throughout is way nicer, and no accordion e-brake boot. The lower trunk loading height is really nice, and fold down rear seats are a plus. The sport seats have all held up with no stitching or mechanical failures. The headliners are garbage though.

IMO E36s are better than e30s in every way except for feeling heavier. The car that I'd love to build is a '96 or '97 with a stroked aluminum z3 engine, cf hood, and the usual suspension stuff. It's just too bad finding a slicktop is impossible.
                  Strong words...... but I tend to agree with you.

The E36's I've had (all M3's) had little interior issues, apart from the headliner. I will agree that the headliners are absolute shit. One had 200k on the clock.

I am fond of both the E30 and the E36. Though I like to look at just about every E30 type (except for the Baur, blah) but I only enjoy looking at E36 M3's. Non-M E36's look blah to me.
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I had a '95 M3 for a while. It was, surprisingly, a lot of fun and I do miss it a lot. Parted it out, (kept the engine/trans) to get my red car back on the road. I'll own another one, someday. Yours looks infinitely nicer than mine. Congratulations.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      Yeah, TBH I never really hated the E36 - but they haven't aged well at all. The M3 is definitely the best aged, but the interiors are horrible. So much cheap plastic.. Sagging headliners.. door panels that fall apart.

I don't mind looking at them but I could never live with one.

E30s had heated seats too, btw.
                      Meh. Do the headliner, buy a sedan, profit?? No door card issues with all the sedans I've seen.. Those interiors are actually really nice when they're not maintained by a 25 year old drift hoon.
                      -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                      -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

meh. replace the oil pan gasket or the starter on one of them and then tell me how awesome they are.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

My 75k mile '98 M3/4/5 with Modena has a pretty decent interior. No door card issues except where the PO closed the door with something too close and "pressed" the leather. The seats are starting to get a bit crunchy, so I've been meticulously "feeding" them even though it's sealed leather.

My previous '96 M3 did have door card and quarter card issues but they were relatively minor and no worse than any other cars in-period that had as many miles (182k) and as little upkeep (almost none).

My '94 325iS was a gigantic hunk of baboon feces. I loved it anyway.

I'm STILL waiting on headliner material to come in at Veteran. Been waiting since May. They also don't know which Indigo I need... I should probably email them again.

E30 Wagen, my future E36 build also uses an alloy M52 with an M54 rotating assembly. We could be buds if you didn't live in the Cold Mitten.
                          1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Working...
                          X