Brake fluid leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake fluid leak

50 internets to whoever can guess correctly where this is coming from. I looked inside the wheel well(with the tire still on) and it seems it's a drip from the engine bay, not a splatter behind the tire, so I believe it's not my brake line but perhaps ABS lines?

Ideas? Where should I start looking?
    Attached Files
    Youtube channel is up!-->According2Valentine

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30
    Originally posted by J3M93
    This guy delivers, you are a boss

How about an engine bay shot looking as master cyl/ abs pump
    ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
    Originally posted by blunttech
    I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
    Build Thread?

Comment

The location of the drip suggests a leak around the master cylinder area or from the line that runs to the rear of the car. The first place I'd look would be at the reservoir and soft line to the clutch master cylinder.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

+1 on checking the line going to the rear brakes. That's where mine was leaking.

That line is routed with the fuel hard lines amd tucked against the structure of the car. Prime point for dirt and moisture to attack those lines.

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Thanks forthe ideas guys, I will start looking there and report back

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
          If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30

Comment

i once experienced a leak from the proportioning valve which is below/in front of the master and right above the frame rail. http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...53&hg=34&fg=15
            number 5 in the pic. might be worth a check

Comment

I would put money on line running to the rear brakes. Next place would be the connections on the master cylinder. Next place would behind the booster. But the drip looks a little far forward for that
              sigpic

Comment

Start at the top. Check your reservoir, then the soft line, then the hard line going to your pro portioning valve, then the hard line going to your slave. I have replaced all of the above (minus the reservoir and hardline). I have an early model though, so no ABS
                85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

I havent had the time to work on it yet so n00b question, do I have to remove the fender for any of it?

Comment

No need to take the fender off since the fender support and inner wheel housing would still be in the way.

You will need to get under it. If it winds up being the line to the rear brakes there's no real way to attack it short of putting it on a lift. It's a tough spot.

The E30 collection:
                    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

If you climb under the car and start looking up for leaks, pop on a pair of safety glasses. Brake fluid is nasty stuff and you want it nowhere near your eyes.
                      sigpic
                      "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by atldohc View Post
                        i once experienced a leak from the proportioning valve which is below/in front of the master and right above the frame rail. http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...53&hg=34&fg=15
                        number 5 in the pic. might be worth a check

+1 on this. Happened to me and was a real bitch to figure out! I ended up replacing that and the master to fix my break leak. Clean the area, then check for leaks - that way they are easier to spot.
                        sigpic
                        -----
                        Zinno 87 325iS

Comment

Working...
                        X