Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 swap 195 monitoring torque manager code limp mode

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing a code that keeps putting me in limp mode on my s54 swap.

I was getting a 174,175 o2 code and 195 torque codes. I was told to check for vacuum leaks because of the o2 codes and the torque code.

So I smoke tested for vacuum leaks and found none (still 174,175,195 limp codes).waffles

Then I found a SIB from BMW regarding faulty MAF for 2001 motors, which will sometimes throw 174,175 codes. So i replaced the MAF and still same codes.

I then bought new pre cat o2 sensors for my euro headers and cleared adaptations and now I have no more 174,175 o2 codes. So that cured that.

However, I'm still getting the 195 torque monitoring code which is putting me into limp mode.

The engine runs great otherwise, pulls hard and rips great. I seem to only get the 195 code when I baby it around town. Usually goes into limp if I pull from a low rpm such as going around a corner in 2nd and accelerating out.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
    1987 e30 325 eta
    1983 e28 533
    2001 x5 4.4l
    1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
    1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Without knowing more about the swap or what was turned off in your ECU, I can gather from your screenshot that your temp sensor might be malfunctioning. 83*c is only 181*f. Your engine isn't warmed up, or the sensor is faulty. Probably not your issue, but seems odd to me.

What clutch setup are you using? Who flashed the DME? What flags were turned off?

From what I can gather the DME isn't seeing the same RPM feedback that it's expecting. Slipping clutch, accelerator pedal malfunction etc seems to be a culprit.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      Without knowing more about the swap or what was turned off in your ECU, I can gather from your screenshot that your temp sensor might be malfunctioning. 83*c is only 181*f. Your engine isn't warmed up, or the sensor is faulty. Probably not your issue, but seems odd to me.

What clutch setup are you using? Who flashed the DME? What flags were turned off?

From what I can gather the DME isn't seeing the same RPM feedback that it's expecting. Slipping clutch, accelerator pedal malfunction etc seems to be a culprit.
      Hey,

-The one dual temp sensor in the technical Motorsport adaptor is new. The other sensor in the cooling pipe is unknowen. Although that screen shot was when I only drove a block or so. Temps usually get up no higher than 95c

- clutch and flywheel are new, fx racing eBay single mass 14lb and sprung hub in e36 m3 zf 5speed. I haven't experienced any clutch slippage I'm still going slow on the break in but have got on it a few times. Nothing crazy like clutch dumps or high rpm.

-the tune is a markert tune that Andrew swapped on it when I bought the harness.
      (Sap delete, and post cat o2 sensor delete for euro catless headers is what I'm aware of) I'm sure what else I needed turned off was turned off. These guys seem to know their stuff.

-accelerator pedal is from the donor e46 m3 from a manual vehicle.
      1987 e30 325 eta
      1983 e28 533
      2001 x5 4.4l
      1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Dave knows his stuff, so you should be good there on the flash.

The sensor that most put in the cooling pipe is the brown one, that's for the gauge cluster - but that previous comment can be dismissed if you were on a short drive and not warming up.

Either way, the DME isn't seeing the same RPM it's expecting.

Have you tried a throttle calibration reset?
        Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 06-05-2018, 10:14 PM.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          Dave knows his stuff, so you should be good there.

The sensor that most put in the cooling pipe is the brown one, that's for the gauge cluster - but that previous comment can be dismissed if you were on a short drive and not warming up.

Either way, the DME isn't seeing the same RPM it's expecting.

Have you tried a throttle calibration reset?
          Never, how do you do the throttle calibration reset?

Also I do get the 195 code after a 30 mins drive as well when fully warm.

I should say I'm experienced stalling when warmed up as well, I have to ride the rpm down and push the clutch in so I don't stall.
          1987 e30 325 eta
          1983 e28 533
          2001 x5 4.4l
          1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

I'll give that a go today.
              1987 e30 325 eta
              1983 e28 533
              2001 x5 4.4l
              1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

I think your stalling is related. What kind of intake are you using? The MAF needs a honeycomb flow straightener in front of it like the stock airbox has or it will stall and throw codes. I had this happen on my E46 M3 with a K&N air intake which did not have the flow straightener. The car ran fine but would stall on coast downs with the clutch in. It threw a CEL but I don't think I ever read it before swapping the stock airbox in, at which point the issue and the code went away. If you are running an intake without a straightener, address that first. You can either swap over the one from the stock airbox or get one on ebay, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
                  I think your stalling is related. What kind of intake are you using? The MAF needs a honeycomb flow straightener in front of it like the stock airbox has or it will stall and throw codes. I had this happen on my E46 M3 with a K&N air intake which did not have the flow straightener. The car ran fine but would stall on coast downs with the clutch in. It threw a CEL but I don't think I ever read it before swapping the stock airbox in, at which point the issue and the code went away. If you are running an intake without a straightener, address that first. You can either swap over the one from the stock airbox or get one on ebay, etc.
                  I have a flow straightener on a hfm housing and inline spectre air filter. A few guys are running the same setups.
                  1987 e30 325 eta
                  1983 e28 533
                  2001 x5 4.4l
                  1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

A friend is going to come by and let me borrow his accelerator pedal. I'm also going to drain the tank and put some fresh 94 in, its been a couple months on the old stuff.
                    1987 e30 325 eta
                    1983 e28 533
                    2001 x5 4.4l
                    1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Was the gas pedal. No torque code, took it for a 80 miles drive and it drove great.
                      1987 e30 325 eta
                      1983 e28 533
                      2001 x5 4.4l
                      1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Working...
                      X