Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slammin' e28's (terrible investment) e24.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slammin' e28's (terrible investment) e24.

...introducing....

Slammin's shark ark ark ark ark!

1978 633Csi 4speed. 133k miles.

Brief history of the car:

Originally owned by Dr. Stephen Cohen in VT. Apparently he had the car serviced exclusively at The Automaster, who was a Mercedes, Honda, BMW, and briefly, Delorean dealer in VT.

Dr. Cohen owned the car until 1989, when it was sold to a Peter Morris. He had the car for a brief time until 1992.

After Peter, a Lief Hansen owned the car from 1993 on. It get's a bit fuzzy, as sometime he moved from VT to Northern Va. By the records, he had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube and there are a tons of parts tickets from Fairfax BMW, indicating he was a DIY'er with the car.

Leif had the car, it seems, until 1994, then a John Reed is on the next three records with service being performed at BMW of Fairfax. Then, in 1996, Leif shows back up, then there are a series of parts tickets from BMW of Fairfax, and the title.

The title was last issued in 1997, when it seems Leif moved to Stuarts Draft Va, my home town.

I got it from a friend in Staunton who got it from someone in Greenville who didn't have time to fix it, so it sat since 1999, the last state inspection it got.

I have paperwork from 342 miles up to 130,000, and the odometer reads 133k.

So here it is, serial number 5525057....

So......it's a real, real project/restoration I've got my hands on, but with documentation since the car had 360 miles I think it's worth saving it. Rust is pretty much all cosmetic, underside of the car is not bad, although I foresee many seized bolts.

She runs, but needs a fuel pump, and the electrics need a good going through, as the windows, etc don't seem to work. Meh. I'll get it sorted over a while. Shooting to have her at Vintage 2013.

Slammin'
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Nice. I think yours is older than mine. (5545448)

If you're going to be looking for a 80-82 style trunk lip i'm going to have one for sale soon.

Ask if you have any other questions, i've been getting familiar with the e12-based sixers for the last few months.
    cars beep boop

Comment

4-speed WTH!
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Sweet. Looking forward to seeing this progress

Bahama Beige E23 Project
        Bluebird Bus Conversion
        New Oregon Trail

Comment

Good fuckin luck.

Comment

The Automaster was a Delorean dealer???

That place is going to have my praise from now on.

Comment

To be honest, it doesn't look all that bad. Detail the interior, give it a good wash and polish and I bet it will look pretty good. The deal with the electrics is likely crud on the contacts from sitting for so long. My guess is that you will be looking for a new fuel tank as that one is likely rusty and has water from condensation in it, but who knows. Pull the gauge sender and take a look inside.

That car has lots of potential. I bet it could be up and running in a month without too much trouble. Things will free up and start working better with some use. Sure, you will find issues as you go, but I get the feeling you might be surprised at how quickly things will get sorted out. Heck, when I got my '69 Alfa that had been sitting for 30 years (no joke, last registered in '76, I got it in '06) I was told that I should give up hoping to drive it and do a ground up restoration right then and there. I had it back on the road and reliable enough for an 800 mile trip in a month and a half. 5 years and 50K miles later it was still going strong until some ass hole rear ended me and killed it.

Your car has been sleeping a little while, but it will wake up with some work and likely be pretty solid. The fact that it runs as is says something right there.

Here are a couple pics of the Alfa when I first got it (sorry, the pics suck, but I didn't have a good camera back then.) Think of it as inspiration. ;)

1 month later:

Now this is what a BIG project looks like...

This Alfa is taking a lot longer to get back on the road. Perhaps 2015?

As long as nothing has rusted through and the engine and transmission are still working, you have less of a major project than you think. Sure, it might need paint, but I'd try a good polish with a rotary buffer (like what a paint shop would use) and see what you get. Be careful as you can burn through the paint very quickly, but they can work wonders on older paint. Start with a good cleaning of everything including the engine and go from there.

Will
              Last edited by BlackbirdM3; 02-28-2012, 07:16 PM. Reason: added to the post.
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

It looks better in the pictures trust me. Its a big project. I never realized how big 6 series are till I stood beside it. They are huge cars

Comment

Originally posted by danny View Post
                  good fuckin luck.
                  +1
                  1989 M3
                  2008 135i 6sp

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner Sam23 View Post
                    It looks better in the pictures trust me. Its a big project. I never realized how big 6 series are till I stood beside it. They are huge cars
                    It's amazing how not huge they are on the inside despite all that.

slammin, I just remembered that I have a full set of new e12 bilstein sports for sale if you're interested. Also, bigcoupe.com is the e24 hangout, you should make a project thread there!
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Ooh I want the banana intake manifold.
                      Originally posted by LJ851
                      I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Such a shame when people Take good care of a car then just forget about it. I wish you luck! Its gonna be fun.

on a side note I picked up a E24 that was forgotten much like this,Fixed it up got it real nice. Then i sold it,well the guy i sold it to had it impounded on his way home from buying it from me. I am worrying im am gonna see that old thing in the yard one of these days riffed threw.

Comment

I don't expect it to not take a lot of work. I feel like it's not too far gone, and with the history of it it's worth it. It'd be neat to track down the original owner or son and show them the before and after when it's done.

Blackbird, that Alfa is a complete transormation! Nice!

Kronus, I'm meeting with a guy I know in Richmond who has a M90 dogleg Euro e24 and tons of parts. He'd got a set of Billie HDs and the calipers I need, but I'll let you know if I need anything.

I've decided to clean out the interior/engine bay, then get 'er driving and completely re do the suspension. Parts aren't that expensive, at least my cost through work.

Body work will take place over the Summer/Fall/Winter. I hate body work, but I can do it.

All the fuel lines feel supple and aren't cracked, etc. Vacuum lines are soft too.

I'll try and keep 'er documented as best as I can, but I do have a habit of getting involved and forgetting to take pictures, lol.
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. It sure looks neglected for the amount of paperwork that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                              It will be interesting to see how this turns out. It sure looks neglected for the amount of paperwork that comes with it.
                              Id say it looks good considering its been sitting for 13 years. Detail it and im sure it will look 100x better. Im jealous you know the history of your car. The only paerwork mine came with was the title.

The Build:
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Working...
                              X