Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bosch AFM Refurbish / Restoration Service! (Air Flow Meter) AFM's FOR SALE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bump
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

For Sale: 325i M20 AFM, Electrically Refurbished

ITEM SOLD

Gone through full electrical refurbishment.
      A bit dirty on the outside but inside has been cleaned. Has great feedback to ECM.

$80 shipped including refundable $20 core deposit for your old AFM.

Last edited by Gregs///M; 08-17-2012, 11:03 AM.
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

you dont mind if i can take a pic of the inner part of the AFM? im looking forward to getting mine redone but maybe the pic will give some answer and see if it looks bad to you, also im hoping that youll have some more eta AFMs, starting to get annoyed with a jerky acceleration that happens once in awhile
        1986 325e (EUR)
        Grey Market
        Zinno
        327i Build
        Zender kit
        ESM 008TA

Restoration progress TBA

Originally posted by ethrtyiS
        sweet! day after my first final. really getting waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesed up then!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jrey View Post
          you dont mind if i can take a pic of the inner part of the AFM? im looking forward to getting mine redone but maybe the pic will give some answer and see if it looks bad to you, also im hoping that youll have some more eta AFMs, starting to get annoyed with a jerky acceleration that happens once in awhile
          Sure, you can post up on here or PM me. Either way, I've never seen an AFM that did not look severely worn.
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
            Sure, you can post up on here or PM me. Either way, I've never seen an AFM that did not look severely worn.
            PM'd
            1986 325e (EUR)
            Grey Market
            Zinno
            327i Build
            Zender kit
            ESM 008TA

Restoration progress TBA

Originally posted by ethrtyiS
            sweet! day after my first final. really getting waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesed up then!!

Comment

With the arm bent to be lower or higher on the plastic strip, wouldn't the arm travel a shorter or longer distance because the track is oval vs flat?
              Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                With the arm bent to be lower or higher on the plastic strip, wouldn't the arm travel a shorter or longer distance because the track is oval vs flat?
                I supposed on a very small scale yes. However, it will still be within Bosch specifications. Most important is to maintain voltage output vs flap angle, without any disturbance and to maintain linearity. This must be verified through a oscilloscope or other data acquisition hardware.
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Bought an AFM from Gregs///M and it went great. Shipping was fast and on time with no problems whatsoever. Just paid for it and BOOM it was at my doorstep shortly after in a neatly packaged box. I trust that he did a great job refurbishing the inner workings of the AFM and I would definitely recommend him to anyone who is looking to get one refurbished or buy one already ready to go :up:

Comment

Originally posted by überslowetaLOL View Post
                    Bought an AFM from Gregs///M and it went great. Shipping was fast and on time with no problems whatsoever. Just paid for it and BOOM it was at my doorstep shortly after in a neatly packaged box. I trust that he did a great job refurbishing the inner workings of the AFM and I would definitely recommend him to anyone who is looking to get one refurbished or buy one already ready to go :up:
                    Thanks for the great review!
                    www.BavRest.com
                    My Feedback Thread
                    Our Facebook!
                    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Let's go $80 shipped for the 325i AFM!
                      www.BavRest.com
                      My Feedback Thread
                      Our Facebook!
                      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I've got a very nice M30 AFM for sale too. $100 shipped fully electrically refurbished. Pics will be up soon.
                        www.BavRest.com
                        My Feedback Thread
                        Our Facebook!
                        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I've seen quite a bit of conflicting advice on how to test your AFM's. There is even a few articles floating around the internet with advice, in my opinion, that is incorrect.

Debate: testing an AFM with a DVM (digital volt meter) VS. an Oscilloscope.
                          Note: digital volt meter and digital multi meter are considered the same thing.

A DVM does not nearly acquire voltage signal as fast as a oscilloscope. Let me explain this the best that I can.

Let's say we want to test for bad AFM. Customer reports they have severe "bogging" at idle speeds. So let's test with a DVM vs an oscilloscope.

DVM:
                          Measure voltage output while the wiper arm is moved from fully closed to half open. The DVM does not have the resolution of an oscilloscope so its averages the voltage over the time acquired. BTW, in general, DVM acquire voltage using three methods...max volts, minimum volts, and average volts. The DVM is going to provide you an average of the voltage acquired.

Therefore, with a DVM, the voltage feedback would appear to be within spec and you pass the AFM and return to the customer. Customer spends hundreds of dollars replacing other items and troubleshooting, etc.

Oscilloscope:
                          Measuring voltage output while the wiper arm is moved from fully closed to half open and displays this voltage difference over a time scale of say...10 seconds.

This graphs shows myself opening and closing the AFM from 0% to 100% nine times in a period of 10 seconds.

Notice the "dips" to zero volts. This is known as voltage drop out and is the reason why there is a sudden loss of power near a specific RPM range, which correlates to a certain speed range or air input to the AFM.

Also notice on the second curve that voltage drop out occurs near the beginning of travel and near the end of travel. It happens several times more over the period of 10 seconds.

But note: these drops to zero occur and only last a few milliseconds and even microseconds! A DVM CANNOT ACQUIRE NOR DOES IT HAVE THE RESOLUTION TO CAPTURE THESE MILLISECOND DROPS TO ZERO VOLTS.

I would fail this AFM and the customer would rest assured that he has found the problem to the solution.

So please, anyone reading this. Please understand a DVM is not sufficient to test a AFM. At bare minimum, a oscilloscope or data acquisition software must be used which has a resolution of microseconds or better. My oscilloscope can acquire data at a rate of Pico-seconds so it is more than sufficient to test accurately.

Hope that clears things up.
                          Last edited by Gregs///M; 04-10-2014, 12:52 PM.
                          www.BavRest.com
                          My Feedback Thread
                          Our Facebook!
                          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Here is another bad AFM that I tested for a customer.

Notice now the voltage spans from 0 volts to almost 5 volts. This is 14 cycles from fully closed to fully open. Noticed the short duration drops to zero. This occurs in the microseconds and cannot be captured by a DVM/DMM. Only an oscillocope or data acquisition software will have the resolution to capture these drops to zero.

A DVM/DMM would only show the average as you move the wiper arm from fully closed to fully open. It would appear the AFM is good, when indeed it is bad.
                            www.BavRest.com
                            My Feedback Thread
                            Our Facebook!
                            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

any exprerience with the M3 E30 AFM?
                              if i send you one, how much do refurbish it?
                              i'll buy a used one, clean it up externally and send it to you for the cleanup process
                              so my car can fucntion with my existing one
                              just want to know rough cost
                              thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kmarei View Post
                                any exprerience with the M3 E30 AFM?
                                if i send you one, how much do refurbish it?
                                i'll buy a used one, clean it up externally and send it to you for the cleanup process
                                so my car can fucntion with my existing one
                                just want to know rough cost
                                thanks!
                                I've refurbished many AFM's from BMW to Porsche.
                                Still $150 including $25 refundable core charge.
                                Last edited by Gregs///M; 04-10-2014, 12:53 PM.
                                www.BavRest.com
                                My Feedback Thread
                                Our Facebook!
                                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                                X