E34 vs. E39...Who's had both??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 vs. E39...Who's had both??

I'm talking specifically about the Touring. I'm looking into swapping up(or sideways) so I want to know from the people who have owned/driven both for a time: How do you feel about the (2) of them?? Considering E39 prices are now rather agreeable, I feel it is def. worth considering alongside the E34....
    -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

I had both as Sedans and would prefer the E39 personally. I like both but the E39 prices are reasonable and to me it feels like a more modern yet classy BMW.

Comment

^How useful is the trunk in the E39 Sedan?? Do the seats fold down?
      -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

I feel like the E39 is definitely better for daily driving and getting groceries and also has more powerful engine choices.

Also, the E34 Touring was pretty lousy anyways.
        1999 M Coupe
        2014 X1 xDrive35i
        2000 P38A HSE
        1989 Lachs 4 Door
        Instagram: MCoupeKim

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDE View Post
          ^How useful is the trunk in the E39 Sedan?? Do the seats fold down?
          Folding down seats were an option. For me the trunk was big enough. WAY more space than e30s offer .... :D

Comment

Originally posted by Fast325i View Post
            Folding down seats were an option. For me the trunk was big enough. WAY more space than e30s offer .... :D
            ^^ this, although the e34 trunk is huge as well.

The e39 would be a better choice if you plan on going stock but dare you try to mod or swap it, it'll become a nightmare.

E34 gave me the exact feeling of a larger e30. the e39 gave me the feeling of a modern classic. The driving experience was too awesome with the 4.4v8/6spd. You can tell it was heavy but only in high speed maneuvers which in turn is more reassuring as it's stern stability becomes more evident. on the gas and brakes its like tossing around an e46.

To me the best part about the e39 540/6 was that off the line its much quicker than an e46 m3. till you hit a stop or a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
              ^^ this, although the e34 trunk is huge as well.

The e39 would be a better choice if you plan on going stock but dare you try to mod or swap it, it'll become a nightmare.

E34 gave me the exact feeling of a larger e30. the e39 gave me the feeling of a modern classic. The driving experience was too awesome with the 4.4v8/6spd. You can tell it was heavy but only in high speed maneuvers which in turn is more reassuring as it's stern stability becomes more evident. on the gas and brakes its like tossing around an e46.

To me the best part about the e39 540/6 was that off the line its much quicker than an e46 m3. till you hit a stop or a corner.
              excellent post. i havent owned an E39, but they are a more comfortable car etc. however maintenance costs are higher as they are more complex, and i strongly dislike the nose on them, however the rest of the body looks great.

funny though, that i hate both the E34 and E39 sedans. :dunno:

Comment

I have an e34 525/5speed and brother has e39 540i/6spd msport.

They drive/feel like different cars, I've worked on both to various degree and have to agree E39 is just a better overall car in feel/comfort and obviously newer/less miles/wear normally. But, working on the them, e34 is easier.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I got both. Up to preference really, both are amazing. They feel very similar to me, but the E39's motor is definitely more preppy.

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                  My expectation is an immediate 5 speed swap. Autos suck more than a 50 year old whore.

Comment

I love my e39. It has the sport + winter package with heated seats and fold down rear seats with ski bag. They are like a smaller , sportier version of the E38 7 series. They are an excellent value right now and m5 rep bumpers are crazy cheap. The bumpers, facelift angel eyes, wide grill and LED tails really update the look of the car. I highly recommend a manual trans!

Last edited by reelizmpro; 01-09-2013, 11:18 PM.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

The e39 is my favorite 5 series to date. Pay no attention to the loaner wheel on the e60. lol

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                        The e39 is my favorite 5 series to date. Pay no attention to the loaner wheel on the e60. lol

E60 is my favourite. if i have kids in the next 3 or 4 years thats what ill be buying

Comment

IMO the e34 is a better looking car. E39 is more comfortable/advanced.
                          -Andy

Comment

For a long time I looked for a good condition, well kept e34 525it for a daily. Never found one. Looked all over for 6 months, eventually found an perfectly maintained, all records e39 528i/5 sedan. 1,000 miles away in New England. Aside from having a family member take a brief look at it, I bought it sight unseen and flew up to get it. I could not be happier, more comfortable than most of my furniture, smooth, reliable, plenty fast for a daily, modern yet classic bmw looks and can look even better with some simple upgrades.

My experience with e34's is relatively limited, but I would think with the right e34, I could be just as happy. But unfortunately, the pickings for e34's seem to be slimmer than e39's as more of them have been junked, abused or rusted away to nothing, not too say there's not plenty of POS e39's out there.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
                              , not too say there's not plenty of POS e39's out there.

^Yeah, the longer I look, the more rusty tailgates and abused/neglected e39's I see. I'm shooting for a 528i Touring, but MAYBE will take a sedan if it's excellent and the deal is right. I really want the Touring as it's a good defense/argument for swapping cars(my wife hates my E30 anyway) and a good vehicle to take it on long trips. We have an '02 Toyota Corolla Verso(e121) and it's great but not for long trips. An e34 would just be more of the same 'old-looking' BMW.

Comment

Working...
                              X