E34 vs. E39...Who's had both??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
    ^^ this, although the e34 trunk is huge as well.

The e39 would be a better choice if you plan on going stock but dare you try to mod or swap it, it'll become a nightmare.

E34 gave me the exact feeling of a larger e30. the e39 gave me the feeling of a modern classic. The driving experience was too awesome with the 4.4v8/6spd. You can tell it was heavy but only in high speed maneuvers which in turn is more reassuring as it's stern stability becomes more evident. on the gas and brakes its like tossing around an e46.

To me the best part about the e39 540/6 was that off the line its much quicker than an e46 m3. till you hit a stop or a corner.
    Why is swapping an E39 so bad? I helped a friend build his - we dropped an M54B30 in (perfect engine for an E39 wagon, and it drops into the 528), and re-did the suspension. He then put 40k on before buying an M5 and selling the Touring to his brother who still has it.

I really wanted to buy it myself, but obviously don't need more cars. (And it is silver.)

Also, six cylinder E39s and eight cylinder ones are different beasts. The sixes get a proper rack and pinion, while for some idiotic reason, BMW decided to out slop boxes in the V8 cars.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

E39 chassis / suspension also feels much much better than the e34.
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by ethrty View Post
        E60 is my favourite. if i have kids in the next 3 or 4 years thats what ill be buying
        The e60 does have more rear leg room and the side curtains do gove piece of mind for the little ones. Thats why its the baby hauler.

Originally posted by Jean View Post
        E39 chassis / suspension also feels much much better than the e34.
        I feel its also better then the e60 as well. Sure the hydraulic assisted sway bar is sweet and the dynamic steering makes parking a breeze but it feels disconnected. The e39 interior also feels more luxurious and and the seats are more comfortable. It would be nice if the e39 had idrive though. At least there are some pretty cool plug and play touch screen navigation systems now that are designed for the BMW.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I have an e34 525/5speed and brother has e39 540i/6spd msport.

They drive/feel like different cars, I've worked on both to various degree and have to agree E39 is just a better overall car in feel/comfort and obviously newer/less miles/wear normally. But, working on the them, e34 is easier.
          Agree/disagree. They definitely feel like different cars, however I don't think the e39 is either more comfortable nor does it have a better 'feel'. I find the seats in my '95 525 to be FAR more comfy on long trips than my FIL's '03 525. Even he agrees that my '95 is more smooth and solid feeling. The e34 has way more body roll and suspension dive.

There is a certain cheapness about his '03 that reminds me of a late model Mazda. More engine noise, more suspension harshness, interior controls and materials feel chinsier. Plus the hood opens the wrong way and the front window switches are in the doors.

So I'll say that the e34 feels luxurious, while the e39 feels sporty.

Comment

i have had an e34 535 mtechnic, e34 540i 6 speed, e39 540i msport 6 speed, and an e39 m5. though i miss the "raw"ness of an e34 (it feels like a heavier e30), the e39 is way more comfy. it is also much quieter.

i mean, if you want performance you aren't going to get a 5 series -- it is a boat on the track.

Comment

Ryann - I wasn't talking about seats, I was talking about about how the dynamics of the car and suspension feels. E34 is known for it's craptastic suspension anyway, and the e39 just plain feels better planted ....and has way better suspension, no way around that.

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

^I hear you. I guess my point was that depending on what you want from the car either might feel better to someone than the other. There are variables depending on what each car is running for suspension- the cars i have experience with are both non-sport 525s, and between them I prefer the e34 because it's a more comfortable cruiser.

Comment

Ryann - I wasn't talking about seats, I was talking about about how the dynamics of the car and suspension feels. E34 is known for it's craptastic suspension anyway, and the e39 just plain feels better planted ....and has way better suspension, no way around that.
                  1+

My buddy just bought a e39 528 touring. It is amazing/
                  I love the e39 over the e34 purely for looks. The suspension on the e34 is just awful as mentioned above.

He is on this forum member name Swanny.
                  ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                  ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                  ~ '87 535
                  ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                  ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                    The suspension on the e34 is just awful as mentioned above.
                    Are we talking about I6 or V8 e39s? The V8 cars use the same fucking 'craptastic' 5 link suspension the e34s use.

Comment

I was talking about the I6, I thought after 01 they fixed the issue? I don't know a lot about them to be honest since I never owned one. Just info I have gathered from Stanceworks from people lowering them and running into issues.
                      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                      ~ '87 535
                      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

i've had e34, e39 and e60, 98 528i, 00 m5, 02 525ia and 91 M5, 92, 525itA and 94 530iT (i swapped a 6 speed in for the auto), as well as an 08 535i6. As usual, the newer the car the 'better'. That said, the e39 (other than the M5) was kind of bland/boring. In the end, when i had both the e39 and e34 M5's, i sold the e39 and kept the e34. More fun, more classic bmw design.

If i were looking for a good daily driver for my wife, i'd go e39. If i wanted something fun for myself that i'd daily drive, i'd get an e34, which is what i did. Eventually i'll either swap a b40 or s62 to go with the 6 speed.
                        Mike

Comment

something about the e39 that i love...

heres my current baby hauler :)

Comment

If one gets an e39 it should only be the sport package models with manual trans or m5. Vanilla e39's just don't do the car justice, imo.
                            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

It's opk I figured it out....bought a 1998 Subaru Forester S-turbo:D
                              -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

^ lol

Comment

Working...
                                X