Help me ID S50 for paypal reward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me ID S50 for paypal reward

$10 reward to whoever helps me confirm engine in car. Immediate paypal reward.

Heres the deal I bought a totaled 1994 m3 for $900 and a few items of trade. I had someone get the car for me so I was unable to inspect before buying. Cluster is missing. as well as alternator. Was told it has 135k

Its a real M3 vin= WBS

My issue is junkyard writing on metal valve cover. Checked ID plate on right of of drivers motor mount. I live in NH and that plate is rotted. No numbers exist there anymore. Checked for the sticker on back of head. No sticker exists

I need help identifying if its a actual s50 and not a m50. The car is not drivable.

The only thing I can think of to verify is to pull the valve cover and try to determine if the cams are s50. Let me know on here or j603smith@gmail.

I can send pictures of the cams or of anything on the motor.

there's a vin tag on the head, block, steering rack, body panels, etc...

Comment

1994 m3? Sounds fishy.

You'll have to pull the VC and check the P/N on the camshafts.

Comment

s50 id

There is no vin sticker on the head like I already said and there is no vin on the block that im aware of only the id plate which is rotted away

Checking vin sticker on body panels or steering rack tells me absolutely nothing I'm trying to figure out if the original s50 has been replaced and if it was if it was replaced with a s50 and not a m50.

Comment

Just checked real oem it a 1994 m3 couple produced 06/1994

Comment

Quoted from -- ed94r

"Be careful out there when buying cams. Don't assume what cam you have by the casting number on it. You have to measure the lift to know for sure.

Just as an example, a 1718888 cam casting correlates to a S50 exhaust cam. It is precisely the same p/n stamped on the Group N 2.5 cam. These two cams have the same casting#, but different lifts and durations.

The Schrick 2.5L non vanos cam has 1738369 stamped on it, and so does the S50 intake cam.

You gotta measure the cams to know for sure."

Comment

if you can give more part numbers off any other part in the car, I can backtrack and see what cars it fits and help your situation. No reward needed, just want to help another member. I do BMW parts for a living. Just make sure it's a 7-digit configuration (ex: 1 234 567).
              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Every other part on the car no question is original m3. Give me some parts for example.

Cant I remove a spark plug and insert a small ruler and measure tdc- bdc and then do the same on a m50 and see if they differ

Comment

Originally posted by j603smith View Post
                  Every other part on the car no question is original m3. Give me some parts for example.

Cant I remove a spark plug and insert a small ruler and measure tdc- bdc and then do the same on a m50 and see if they differ
                  Well, you might have scored something nice that the other person doesn't realize. lol Pictures of part numbers will help out.
                  1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                  2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                  2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

The vader seats, m contour reps, and diff were worth the dough but I really only bought the car for the motor. Give me some example of which parts numbers you can use to confirm.

Comment

What does the junkyard markings on the VC say? what DME does it have?

The real issue with the "s" 24v engines used is that they are essentially glorified "m" 24v engines.

Pull the head, measure the pistons/rods/crank, and you'll have your answer. Otherwise, you'll just be chasing your tail.

Comment

Numbers prob indicating stock number at the junkyard. Much to lazy to pull the head off. Looks like im forced to pull engine pan and compare part numbers on the crank......... Shitty

Comment

If you haven't even pulled the engine yet, are you 100% sure there is not sticker on the back of the cylinder head?

Comment

Using a mirror and flashlight and pulling the wiring harness out of the way.

Comment

I had a similar issue with an M3 from Mass and not being able to read the engine tag. With enough scrubbing with steel wool, sprayin with brake cleaner, and a good light, I was able to read the tag. If you just scrub it a lot, spray some brake cleaner, wipe it down with a rag, and repeat as needed it should show up. I could actually only read it when it was wet with brake cleaner and the light was shining even after I scrubbed it but I was able to eventually make out the numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X