Looking at an e34 Touring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at an e34 Touring...

Looking to replace my winter DD (rusty higher mileage Jetta Vr6) before winter hits.

I've been seriously considering an e34 touring lately. This popped up on the local craigslist yesterday:

140,000 miles, southern car (only 1 winter), overall "excellent" condition. Needs a head gasket though. Asking $1,000.

I haven't called yet, but I'm thinking about taking a look at it. Anything I should be mindful of? Looks like a slicktop, so it's got that going for it. Never done a head gasket either, but I have time, tools, and a work space though.
    Instagram
    sigpic
    Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Www.bimmernut.com will be your new best friend. I have 414,000 miles on my m30b35 1990 535i.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlem View Post
      Www.bimmernut.com will be your new best friend. I have 414,000 miles on my m30b35 1990 535i.
      cool man. looks like a good forum, thanks. 414k is awesome, congrats!
      Instagram
      sigpic

Comment

thrust arms and control arms always go bad on that chassis. Be sure to torque them down while loaded not in the air. Self Leveling System can be a bitch on some tourings.

I miss my e34. I'd love to find a 535iT one day. Good luck with your hunt!
        sigpic

Comment

Get Moosehead UCABS. Last forever, no pre-loading necessary.

What is it? 525 or 535? Either aren't terrible to do a HG on...or just swap the drivetrain entirely. E34s came with such a range of engines it's pretty much a PnP with the right parts.

Buy it. Def a good deal for $1k.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
            Get Moosehead UCABS. Last forever, no pre-loading necessary.

What is it? 525 or 535? Either aren't terrible to do a HG on...or just swap the drivetrain entirely. E34s came with such a range of engines it's pretty much a PnP with the right parts.

Buy it. Def a good deal for $1k.
            It's a 1993 525i. Anything I should be on the look out for? I left a message with the seller, trying to set up a time to go look at it.

It's also 1k "OBO". So if I want it I'm gonna have to watch some Pawn Stars and put my haggling boots on!
            Instagram
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
              It's a 1993 525i. Anything I should be on the look out for? I left a message with the seller, trying to set up a time to go look at it.

It's also 1k "OBO". So if I want it I'm gonna have to watch some Pawn Stars and put my haggling boots on!
              Check for rust along the bottoms of the doors. Mine has lived in the south all it's life and the driver's door is just starting to show. They all rust.

Hatch wiring is probably broken, they all do it. No deal breaker. Easily verified if the hatch or glass (yes, the glass will open by itself). Also check the rear wiper operation.

If it's a slicktop you better get it! Slicktops, along with no sunroof, lacked the self leveling rear suspension (IIRC). Poverty spec FTW. However I do know the first couple years we got them they were totally loaded option wise for use fat Americans who love our accessories.

If you get it cheap enough, find a wrecked 96+ M3 and slam in the S52/5.

Comment

Check for rust along the bottoms of the doors. Mine has lived in the south all it's life and the driver's door is just starting to show. They all rust.

Hatch wiring is probably broken, they all do it. No deal breaker. Easily verified if the hatch or glass (yes, the glass will open by itself). Also check the rear wiper operation.

If it's a slicktop you better get it! Slicktops, along with no sunroof, lacked the self leveling rear suspension (IIRC). Poverty spec FTW. However I do know the first couple years we got them they were totally loaded option wise for use fat Americans who love our accessories.

If you get it cheap enough, find a wrecked 96+ M3 and slam in the S52/5.
                So wait, will the hatch still open if the wiring is bad?

Doesn't it look like the rear is sagging in the pic? I was worried that might be an indication of a bad self-leveling rear suspension...

My other car is a 99 M3 with bolt ons and coilovers, so I'm kind of more looking for a comfort/utility car, with the main aim being reliability. it's my understanding that the e34 is one of the most reliable cars BMW made.
                Instagram
                sigpic

Comment

I think the rears look a little lower on the Ts over the sedans. Self leveling I'd just delete altogether, bad or not.

Hatch will still open with the key, it's a manual latch. Insert key, turn, hatch opens. Otherwise, with the button, it electronic.
                  Last edited by slammin.e28; 07-24-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I think the rears look a little lower on the Ts over the sedans. Self leveling I'd just delete altogether, bad or not.

Hatch will still open with the key, it's a manual latch. Insert key, turn, hatch opens. Otherwise, with the button, it electronic.
                    Cool man, thanks for the info. I spoke with the seller and I'm going to look at it tomorrow night. He "doesn't know what is wrong with it and thinks it might be the head gasket."

We'll see lol.
                    Instagram
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
                      Cool man, thanks for the info. I spoke with the seller and I'm going to look at it tomorrow night. He "doesn't know what is wrong with it and thinks it might be the head gasket."

We'll see lol.
                      Those are always the best deals. Mine was "it's got a leaky headgasket at the back of the head". True. Bonus was reverse was slipping like a mother.

$1600 though. Didn't even haggle.

Comment

Bah... Just talked to the seller again and he took a deposit for it... Hoping it falls though but probably won't. Bummer.
                        Instagram
                        sigpic

Comment

When a touring jumps up, you gotta get on it. They sell FAST. I just picked my 5sp 530iT up for $1500, rust free, but had to do regular maintenance like struts, the center tie bar, tires, etc. I was the first person to contact him, with a line of like 30 behind me haha.

These cars have a lot of room for slop in the front end, if you can, bring a jack and check for play in the ball joints, idler arm, tie bar, tie rods, etc.

Oh, and get rid of that self leveling crap. And be prepared to do camber/toe trailing arm bushings if you drop it at all.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Get it! Headgasket isn't a bad job, and it will give you the opportunity to do all the top end gaskets and cleaning you will be doing down the road anyway.

I bought my last e34 for 1k with "engine problems, head gasket blown". After a 10min test drive I knew what it was, just a fan clutch! Luckiest I have ever been. It was hard to keep from giggling when I said I'd take it.

Comment

Working...
                            X