Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hartge h26 project.....the long road:) Oct 2014 begins:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hartge h26 project.....the long road:) Oct 2014 begins:)

Nov: 2014: Just need to get the decals and the mono wiper kit on to be done:)

I am going to try to document what I have done to the car so far and what the future plans will be. Might help someone in their journey.
    Back to October:
    I was scanning the R3v and decided to look over in the Pacific Northwest forum...I had just sold a project and was looking for something new to work on. So what pops up but a car and owner claiming they have a Hartge h26, 1984 with the paperwork to prove that it is the real thing. Well, that got my attention....I got on the phone and called the guy that was selling the car and we talked for about an hour....I asked him what I needed to do to get this car sold:).
    We agreed on a price and I then called the shipping company. There was a truck coming through Portland in a few days. After a bunch of e-mails, phone calls etc (you guys know the drill), the car was on the way to Boise, ID.
    I few days later this red car shows up and at first I thought: what have I done this time. We got the car in the shop and first thing I noticed was the leaking fuel lines. My wife really loved that part. Turned the car off!, and the truck driver and I get into a conversation about the history of the car...good so far. He leaves and I am looking around the car....
    First I see the hartge valve cover, and strut bar..Ok I could always sell those for some cash. Then I could not help but check the side of the head, just to see what I might have. At first, it was so dirty, I saw nothing, but then after some spray cleaner...there it was on the side of the head 'h26' Hartge. So I knew I had at least bought a car with a few good parts:).
    Then the fun began. Started talking to lots of people on the forum: Raul ,Barron, Scott, Ryan, and others. These people know their hartge cars. First thing Raul said was check for the oil cooler sticker....yep oil cooler and the blue sticker. Then the rear strut bar.....yep there. Suspension, yep the hartge blue springs...in terrible shape. Last of all, I checked for the hartge headers...yep still there...not in very good shape.
    So I ended that week with knowing I at least had a hartge car built somewhere in Germany.
    Side story. When I bought the car, the seller said he had some paperwork that showed the car was built in Germany and was a hartge conversion car....After two weeks the promised paperwork shows up....lots of it, all in German. Well, what I did piece together was the car was built in Germany in early 85 by Kohl Automotive. I did send the paperwork to Hartge...more on that later . I also had a list of all the hartge parts that were on the car in 1985....more on that later:)
    So that is the introduction...been buying parts for the car since October:).
    Here are a few pictures of the car when I first got it. I will give some more posts showing what I have done so far and pictures. We have gone through everything from the wheels, brakes, timing belt, and everything else you can think of!
    thanks for reading...next stop taking the front end off.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 2002jm; 04-28-2016, 10:55 AM.

forgot to mention

I did find a 16 hartge wheels as my spare, but the wheels on the car were some Enkies that needed to go:)
    Here is the hartge spare:

More fun tomorrow!

Comment

Sub'd!!!

Will be injoing this Hartge project!!!
      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

doing this backwards from October

Hi Raul: Thanks to you and many others on this forum, the project is working out pretty good
        Tomorrow story of hartge parts:)
        jm

Comment

Dude that's awesome. I'm currently slowly building a h27sp. Big $$$$$ but it's worth the wait and cash. I'd love to see this thing in action man. Congratulations on an amazing car.
          Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for saving it and even sharing it with us.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I sorta wish I bought this when it popped up for sale. Glad it went to someone who can finish it properly!
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Kohl is an authorized BMW dealership in Aachen. Aachen is where AC Schnitzer is based out of. scan some of that paperwork and post it here, I can translate it for you. Very interesting. I have done a few AC Schnitzer conversions on newer BMWs at the dealership I used to work at. Done a couple of Hartge mods on a few cars over the years too. Sounds like you bought an interesting car. Hartge cars are very rare over here in Germany too.

Comment

Wow, looks like it needs lots of work. Good luck!

Comment

I see you popping up everywhere snatching hartge pieces. I think I'm going to end up going Alpina only because I don't feel like I have the patience to collect all of the parts slowly - and plus, I'd have to fight you for everything hah.

Subbed!

Comment

the project continues:)

Thanks for all the comments and input about Kohl. I am going to scan some of the documents in this weekend and post them....should be interesting!
                      Next: I decided that instead of just fixing the one gas leak I would change out all the rubber lines and the vac lines...how do you like that intake boot....fixed that the week I got the car.
                      Now the only problem was when I fixed all the vac leaks the idle was bout 1300rpm. So, I figured the timing was advanced....yes that was the problem! I took the car in to have the timing belt done and it was 13 degrees advanced. Few other crazy problems like the bent throttle bracket were fixed and now the idle is at 800 and runs great.
                      Might mention here that during this time of November I pulled all the parts I could get off the front of the engine so I could check the timing belt...
                      I cleaned everything and put it back together along with a good used alt...the one in the car was shot:).

Not sure if you can see where the throttle bracket was bent. Not sure why it was that way, but now everything is back to normal.
                      Might mention that everything you see in the front end picture that would come off was taken off and cleaned and sanded and repainted:)
                      Last edited by 2002jm; 03-26-2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

you are clear to buy hartge parts soon:)

Originally posted by _kanon View Post
                        I see you popping up everywhere snatching hartge pieces. I think I'm going to end up going Alpina only because I don't feel like I have the patience to collect all of the parts slowly - and plus, I'd have to fight you for everything hah.

Subbed!
                        Yeh, sorry about that:). But I am down to about 3 more hartge parts and then I am done for now. Will just enjoy the car for what it is:).
                        Hartge parts are pretty hard to find...I once built a 323i e21 Alpina and it was much easier to find parts. However, I think everything has become harder since 2012...prices seemed to really go up that year!
                        jm

Comment

got the vibration fixed

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                          I sorta wish I bought this when it popped up for sale. Glad it went to someone who can finish it properly!
                          Austin, got the vibration fixed this morning. Had to replace two bolts in the flex plate. Now the car is much better....can move through 2-4k rpm without shaking to death:)...
                          I am hoping to get this car done by summer...well I mean all the parts on it and decent enough to go to a car show or two:)
                          jm

Comment

Not a real Hartge h26:)?????????

I thought I would mention right at the beginning for those of you that might want to know that this car is not a 'real' Hartge car like the h23 that Ryan had over here in Seattle. I got a nice e-mail from Hartge stating that they do not have any record of the vin and that it was not one of their Performance Plus cars. Well, I had sent them a bunch of paperwork on the car, but after I sent the letter I found out with help from this forum the car was 'built' at Kohl's Automotive...so its as close to a real Hartge that you can get and still it is not one of their cars:). It did have a bunch of hartge parts on it in the beginning and that is what I have been trying to do; is replace the missing parts.
                            Later; brakes, wheels, and more.....
                            jm
                            Here is the h23 I talked about above:

Here are some of the scanned papers that I have that shows information about the car while it was in Germany. I have more, just have not sent them to photobucket. I do have some documents that show the car was called an h26 in 85, so who knows what really happened to this car. Hartge said the car had some door damage back then, and I think that is why they had to put another stripe on the car....could be wrong:)
                            click on picture for more pictures:
                            Last edited by 2002jm; 03-26-2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

The H23 belongs to Robert. It a very nice Hartge H23. The only thing you might have problem finding is the Hartge big brake kit. I been looking for a set for years. I'm still looking!!! Hartge and Alpina big brake kit are all most the same. The only difference is the rotor. Hartge venting of rotor is on the back side of rotor.Alpina rotor for venting is on front side of rotor.
                              Keep me up dated on Hartge parts you are still looking for.
                              Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X