17" Style 5 Refinishing Progress. pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17" Style 5 Refinishing Progress. pics

A little pictorial of my progress on these style 5's. Centers and bolts are in the process of being powder coated by Dave at Renewed finishes. He's an awesome guy to work with and more info about him and his services can be found out through Levent at GPS.

Right after stripping

Started the sanding process at 600 grit

Almost there but not quite

Wheel 1

Wheel 2

Wheel 3

Wheel 4

Sanding process on all four wheels 600>800>1000>2000>3000>Neverdull (sucks)> blue magic metal polish (works okay)> white jeweler's polishing block + polishing wheel on a drill is what really got it to that mirror finish.

I will post pictures of them when they are all together with the centers!

Mothers aluminum polish. (the paste)

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

That Neverdull stuff only works on already fully polished surfaces and even then, it still sucks. Waste of money.

^Also, the mother's alum. polish will only get you so far. You need more cut when polishing something for the first time.

The ONLY way to get a proper finish is with a cotton sewn wheel + black/brown/white rouge compounds. I mount 6" sewn wheels on a 10k rpm grinder. It works well for polishing, but you'll get filthy dirty and its dangerous so be extra careful.

Nice job on the style 5's...I've done two sets now and I'll never do another. Such a PITA.

91' 318is - OBDI M52/ZF swap w/ S50 cams

Comment

Mothers aluminum polish worked great for me

Sticky:True e36 one touch windows DIY

1990 M3
        1992 Mtech (S50 + 5 Lug)

Comment

no offense, it just looks a bit dull to me. If it had a proper cut on it, it would be a mirror, not just a blurry reflection. Again, no offense.
          91' 318is - OBDI M52/ZF swap w/ S50 cams

Comment

Non taken, but it's a cell phone picture
            Sticky:True e36 one touch windows DIY

1990 M3
            1992 Mtech (S50 + 5 Lug)

Comment

What do you use to fill all the dent/scratches/curb rashes that show on the pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Jszy25 View Post
                That Neverdull stuff only works on already fully polished surfaces and even then, it still sucks. Waste of money.

^Also, the mother's alum. polish will only get you so far. You need more cut when polishing something for the first time.

The ONLY way to get a proper finish is with a cotton sewn wheel + black/brown/white rouge compounds. I mount 6" sewn wheels on a 10k rpm grinder. It works well for polishing, but you'll get filthy dirty and its dangerous so be extra careful.

Nice job on the style 5's...I've done two sets now and I'll never do another. Such a PITA.

10k rpms does sound dangerous haha. but your wheel looks really good.

Originally posted by svn2002s View Post
                What do you use to fill all the dent/scratches/curb rashes that show on the pics?
                Most of the scratches were just chips of the clear coat so after stripping it away I was left with some minor ones that I just sanded down and tried to just make the aluminum flow. No filler or anything was used. Just sanded them down.

Comment

One of the places i buy my powder coat supplies from sells a metal filler. You build it up like body filler except its designed to take the heat of powdercoating. Its a little pricey at $30 a can but cheaper then buying another wheel just for the center.

Discover the ultimate destination for powder coating enthusiasts. Powder Buy The Pound offers a wide range of premium powder coating supplies and equipment, ensuring you achieve the best results for your projects.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I am in the middle of this same project. I hope mine come out as good as yours.
                    I'm not a real car guy :(

Comment

Very nice job, the tires where never removed?
                      Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                        no i never got the tires removed, I was trying to save money =/

finished wheels in sig!

Comment

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                          Good job in powder coating your tire. Looks professionally done.

Comment

Working...
                          X