Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car starts smoking up the second I hit the freeway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car starts smoking up the second I hit the freeway?

Hey, everyone. I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before but I still can't find an answer. I've taken it to two mechanics and they can't seem to pinpoint it either. So my problem is that the car starts smoking whenever I hit freeway speeds. It smokes from under the car, not the exhaust. If I pull over, the smoke will start rising from the sides of the car. The smoke is from burning oil. The car does leak minimally from the oil pan gasket and the valve cover. But when I took the car up on a lift, there's oil all over the catalytic convert, all over the transmission, and some has even reached the diff. The diff itself isn't leaking, the oil on the diff is engine oil not gear oil. What I'm thinking is the car is leaking from somewhere and running along the undercarriage of the car and since it hits the exhaust, it's burning off. But where could it leak from that it'll run alongside the bottom of the car? All help is appreciated as I'm trying to avoid driving the car since it's losing a lot of oil and it's pretty embarrassing to drive on the freeway with all the smoke bellowing form underneath it.

How's your crankcase vent?

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Is this an automatic? My 1990 iX would start leaking tranny fluid when I reached around 70MPH
      FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
      Saab/GM tech2 programming
      My for sale thread
      1990 325iX for sale or part out
      Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
      And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        How's your crankcase vent?

t
        + rear main seal, oil pan gasket, transmission output/input seals etc

Comment

Originally posted by barbierij View Post
          Is this an automatic? My 1990 iX would start leaking tranny fluid when I reached around 70MPH
          Nah it's a stick.

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
            + rear main seal, oil pan gasket, transmission output/input seals etc
            I know my oil pan gasket is leaking. I was thinking if I hit the freeway and it leaks, the winds would kinda push the oil onto the exhaust. That's why my exhaust has a black spot on it which I'm assuming is where the oil hits and burns off.

Comment

Where is the burn spot? is the valve cover leaking?
              Originally posted by wholepailofwater
              Q
              :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                Where is the burn spot? is the valve cover leaking?
                No the valve cover isn't leaking. The burn spot is right where the exhaust bends to run under the car. So basically after the headers and right before the cat.

Comment

Try transmission vent pipe

-
                  Project
                  Parts for Sale
                  Feedback
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                  X