Gauge cluster woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge cluster woes

1985 325e coupe, motometer gauges. Just recently bought this car, it's my first E30. Just about worked out all the Kinks but I'm having some problems with my cluster. First, just the speedometer was messed up and everything else seem to function fine. Now the tachometer is idling at about 5k rmps. Like I said, it was functioning fine in the beginning. After I went for a drive and maxed out the RPMs it wants to stay high. When you turn it off the gauge goes down to zero. Then when you start it, it goes right up to about 5k. As far as I can tell they are the stock gauges. I did read about people swapping gauges from four to six cylinders and it giving them problems but I don't think that's my problem. Any guesses?

I'm not an expert, but I've read that a lot of crazy things start happening when the PC board batteries are failing.

Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Comment

How do I change those batteries?

Comment

so RPM tach is just reading incorrectly? Reading way high, when you're simply idling at 750 rpm?

Comment

Haha yes, it was. Started it the other day and it was working normally again.

Comment

Originally posted by E36kid View Post
            How do I change those batteries?
            The official way is to replace the pc board, but E30 folks are notoriously cheap and have figured out how to just solder in new batteries.

Google will get you a bunch of results and DIYs. Probably on Youtube also.

Cory
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

I did my own batteries

I read a bunch of threads and watched a couple of videos. Pretty easy but my speedo was jumping then quit. Changed out speed sensor in Differential but think it might be for a later model. Will try a sensor for my 88.
              I got my batteries at a local commercial battery store. They even soldered on the leads for me. $8.00.

Comment

Working...
              X