Honda S2000 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 318is2k View Post
    Catuned, I just ck'd out some of your projects, very impressive! You are doing amazing work. I'd love to stop by next time I'm in Sac. Thanks for the kind words!
    Stop by anytime..
    Work We Do
    CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
    http://www.catuned.com

Comment

Great swap mate! Any other words on how it does on the butt dyno when putting it through the gears?

Comment

i am unclear on how it was "a lot lighter than the m42 you pulled out"- numbers i have say you gained ~50 pounds (easily correctable).

what final drive are you using?
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

What will something like this cost me? Would i be able to use my my e30 lsd differential?

I need to get a complete swap since i possibly have vent valves on my engine.

1986 325e I6

Comment

How'd you pass smog with an engine from a different manufacturer? I thought it was pretty set in stone that engine swaps have to be same manufacturer, same model year or newer to get the referee to sign off?

I miss the old BMW

Comment

the s2k cluster is so rad

Comment

nick526, no it doesn't have to be from the same manufacture. There are plenty of other cars in CA, like the old Toyota 4x4 with Chevy engines and CARB legal ;)

Key is to use ALL the components from the donor, down to the cat.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

So being a daily... what steering rack are you running? AC? anything you had to sacrifice that you rather not have?

thanks! seriously considering this project...

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
                  I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

Decay-I don't have the weight of a M42. That motor was quite a bit heavier than the s2k motor, just handling them out of the car. I would guess the honda trans is much lighter too. In the earlier post I compared the weight of the s2k motor and the S14. Which I found the F20 to be about 25lbs lighter than the S14. I am also running the stock 318is rear end, 410 LSD. I would like to put a taller rear end, maybe 3.73 someday.

Joncrz-I am using the stock steering rack. I did recess it into the crossmember a bit to help with clearance. I have yet to sort out the AC. I've gone another summer with out it. I would like to get it going by next summer. I don't expect any surprises here though. I plan to use the honda compressor and Bmw everywhere else. Thanks for your interest guys!

Comment

Originally posted by 318is2k View Post
                      I am also running the stock 318is rear end, 410 LSD. I would like to put a taller rear end, maybe 3.73 someday.
                      i'm surprised to read that- 4.10 is what an S2K comes with out of the box, and having driven both ap1 and ap2 it felt a little tall to me.

in an e30 i would want the numerically highest ring/pinion i could get, to keep the first 5 gears getting me to the same mph as the original engine/tranny/diff combo did, and yay now i've got an overdrive 6th.

that's me, though, carry on and have fun w/ the car, looking forward to seeing what else you do.
                      past:
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:

Comment

Lsd 4.10

Decay-the other thing to consider is the rear tire diameter. I'm running the 195/60-14 tires and I know the Few stock tire sizes that came on a S2k are larger circumference. My speedo runs about 6% high. I can correct most of that with a larger wheel tire. This will he my next upgrade then I will reevaluate getting a taller rear end. The other thing that took me awhile to get use to is that the F20c revs so high, so at 60mph it tachs at around 3600-3800. In a car that Redlines at 6500 that is quite high, but with a motor that tachs at 9k it really isn't. So I guess when most engines are running out of breath, the F20c is just waking up. I love the Dr Jekyll Mr Hide personality if this motor. I daily drive this car and mostly highway, occasional track day and auto cross too. It's been a perfect all around car, now if I could just tow a boat with it and seat 7! Ha!

Comment

195/60 is pretty small. only early cars came stock with that size - I see an airbag in your pic, a 195-65 would be stock for that year.

but, still pretty small for a 200+hp E30. perhaps consider 15" wheels and a 225/50R15 instead. would fix your speedo error and lower the highway RPMs a bit..

btw, really cool swap! now go do one in a 2002. :p
                          Last edited by nando; 08-14-2013, 08:08 AM.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah, get some tires on there....
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I like it. Excellent work.
                              - Josh
                              1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                              Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                195/60 is pretty small. only early cars came stock with that size - I see an airbag in your pic, a 195-65 would be stock for that year.

but, still pretty small for a 200+hp E30. perhaps consider 15" wheels and a 225/50R15 instead. would fix your speedo error and lower the highway RPMs a bit..

btw, really cool swap! now go do one in a 2002. :p
                                absolutely agree here- or if you want 16s, i have KDWs in 225/45 on my car and they're fantastic.
                                past:
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:

Comment

Working...
                                X