• Show
Clear All

Nice!
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

In for more!

Dustin Wark | Instagram tumblrFlickr

Comment

Very cool. Can't wait for more progress. Was the car originally a two-tone?
        N55 e92 xDrive
        Looking for something interesting.

Comment

Yes, the car is all original paint. The 2 tone drives me nuts. If it was 2 very different colors I think I would be ok with it, but since its just a few shades off, it makes me think of a bad paint job. One day I will get the car fully resprayed to one solid color!
          Originally posted by 36brua
          Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
          Patryk:up:
          Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
          08 VW .:R32
          04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

So finally a progress update. After dropping my fuel tank to get a leak fixed (needed a new o-ring in the fuel pump), I replaced one of the lines at the top of the tank too as it was in bad shape. I decided to POR15 the fuel tank to prevent it from rusting in the future and me having to drop it again. First time using POR15 but already I love this stuff. Its rock hard once its cured and it leaves a nice finish with very little prep work needed. Here's the fuel tank right before I mounted it back up.

Over the winter I had all my bushing and end links replaced with new OEM ones, figured its a good WYIT task. This weekend I got busy and started putting the front subframe and suspension part back in, so I got it all bolted up. Also POR15'd the front sway bar brackets that attaches to the control arms as they were in rough shape. Put E36 tie rod ends on my Rackdoktor Z3 2.7LTL steering rack and bolted that up. Then I tackled the front H&R Sway bar. This was a huge PITA as there is a tab there that prevents the bushing from sitting flat. Not knowing how to get around this, I trimmed the bottom part of the bushing (still quite a bit left and the bushing is compressed pretty tight), but I might end up doing the IE sway bar mount kit and replacing the bushings if I find the car doesnt drive the way I want it to. Either that or I will grind that tab down to ensure it mounts flat like it should. Then I installed the front Ground Control coilvers and buttoned it all up.

Today I spent getting my rear subframe put back together. Put the diff cover back on after replacing the mount, topped her up and bolted her on. Got the axles on the car too, so just need to mount it back up to the body.

Hoping to get it all put in tomorrow so I can throw some wheels on it and roll it into the center of the garage for more space. At that point i'll work on putting the brakes on the car. Even though I will be running all new brake lines, I want to at least make the car available for the dollies so I can move it around.

Got alot left to do though. Engine pieces are currently out for paint, then come early mark the car will be going to a shop to get some custom fab work done (Removable Rad Support). I figure trying to lift a V8 + 6speed tranny is gonna be a nightmare without this, and i'm sure i'll be pulling the engine more than once. In the meantime i'm hoping to rip the carpet out of the car and explore a few ways to turn it black, whether that means dying it or getting an upholstery shop to make me one based on my mold.

Either way, things are progressing and since the weather is slowly getting nicer here and the days are longer, the motivation is coming back.
            Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

I hear you on the front sway bar bushings, they are a bitch to get poly ones in there.

For the seat mounts, use Massive mounts: http://www.massivebrakes.com/accesso..._RecaroAdapter

I used them for my SR3s, bloody great.
              '90 318is

Comment

Yeah i've seen those seat mounts and will definitely be going with that option, they look like a great piece for a great price!

Did some more work yesterday. Fitted back the front calipers and then got busy on the rear. Put the rear subframe back in with the help of a few friends, and of course with my luck forgot to put the big washers that go on top of the rear subframe bushings. So back down it came lol. After installing it all properly, I mounted up the rear swaybar and started piecing together the parking brake. I set the rear trailing arms on some blocks of wood until I can get my rear struts in. Need to retrofit some dust covers for the new GC Koni's as I dont want them wearing prematurely.

So only have a few housekeeping items left to go before I can put the car back on wheels. Pretty happy about the progress I made this weekend. Hoping the nice weather sticks around so I can spend many more weekends wrenching like this:D

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Damn tons of progress, nice!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

Thanks JPod! Another good day. Retrofit the dust covers from my OEM rear struts onto my Koni struts so they dont get full of crap while driving. Finished up all the suspension work in the back, then installed the parking brake and rear rotors and calipers. So all the brakes are attached, however since I will need to redo the brake lines since i'm going boosterless and deleting ABS, none of the lines are yet connected. Only working brake right now is the parking brake but I still need to adjust it properly.

So I spun the coilovers down as far as they can go, put the wheels on and gave it a test. I'm liking the results ;)

Once the car is done i'm gonna get the fenders professionally pulled so that I can ride low, with some nice sized wheels/tires and no have to worry about rubbing. So far tho, i'm liking the potential of these coilovers. Also stood and bounced on the front subframe and the car barely moved. Really looking forward to driving on this setup!

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Hoping someone can answer a quick question for me. I'm soon to have my transmission crossmember modified for the 6speed transmission (weld the extension brackets on), and it got me thinking...which transmission mounts does everyone use with the 6 speed? Are they still the OEM (or Poly) E30 mounts or are they from a different model/generation? I tried searching but it all just led me to motor mount talk.

Thanks in advance!

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

When I placed my Garagistic order I opted to get their tranny mounts too. I haven't used them yet though so I can't really say much about them unfortunately.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Interesting. Can you be a bit more specific as to which ones? Are you using the E21 mounts with the bushing enforcer cups or are you using the Poly Urethane ones they offer?

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
                            Interesting. Can you be a bit more specific as to which ones? Are you using the E21 mounts with the bushing enforcer cups or are you using the Poly Urethane ones they offer?
                            I got the 95a poly mounts that you can spec on the M6X mount arm page. It doesn't say specifically but these may be them? http://store.garagistic.com/e30-perf...92-E21-E34-E39

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

Thats good to know. Thanks for the info! I'm still deciding whether I want to go Poly or stick with OEM Rubber. Anyone know which Rubber bushings are suitable?

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

So a long awaited update on the swap. Since my last update, I got quite a few things done. Firstly, the engine is all back together now with the exception of a few minor bits and pieces. Timing this thing was fun to say the least but with the help of a good friend we got it all done and turned it over pretty freely so I’m comfortable with that.

Had my valve covers and acoustic covers painted earlier this year as well. Valve covers are a flaky copper while the acoustic covers are black with a goldish copper flake to them. Will flow really well with the car once everything is put together. Had to do some minor paint shaving as I forgot to tell the guys to tape off some parts. So I had to scrape the paint off the mounting surfaces and also had to pull all the studs that hold the coils packs. You can see the flake a bit better in this pic.

And here is how the finished product looks like. Havent put the acoustic covers on yet as I don’t want to risk scratching them on install. Couldn’t really avoid that risk with the valve covers so I’m hoping for the best.

Car also went into the shop to get the removable rad support done. Since I don't have the fab skills to have done this myself, I opted to have it outsourced and done clean. After searching around for a bit, I found a shop that specialized in custom fab work for hot rods and the like. These guys did an awesome job and I couldn't be happier. Will make putting the engine and transmission in much simpler!

Original Rad Support

Rad support removed

So since the car came back from the shop, I’ve been trying to tackle little things here and there everyday. First on the list was to clean up the engine bay and some of the wiring. I scrubbed the engine bay clean and got rid of the ABS wiring. Since I wont be running ABS, I didn’t see a point of having the extra wiring in there.

Also pulled the carpet on the interior. Once the nice weather hits (possibly this weekend depending on how much time I have), I’m going to be dying the carpet black. This is to go with my new 1M Floor mats that I have and my recaro seats once I get them reupholstered, which will most likely be next year due to budget reasons.

And finally today I finished installing my Wilwood pedal assembly. Most guys remove the steering column to do this, but I heard it was doable without so I gave it a shot. Well it works, but my god what a pain in the ass that was. I didn’t want to pull my steering column because to do that I would have to remove my whole dash and I didn't want to risk cracking it. So the first test fit of the pedal box went in and I bolted it down temporarily.

The tricky part to this was that I needed to drill 3 holes through the firewall to bolt the back of the pedal box down to the car. This was tricky since I didn’t really have a good angle to get into from the inside, so I had to guess from the outside. I drilled a very small hole to ensure I was at least in line with the pedal box, then drilled and dremmeled out a larger whole until the bolt fit. This is what it looks like from the engine bay side

Sandwich mount

This is what I had to work with from the inside

Back of pedal box

So with that all done, the next steps are dyeing the carpet, putting it back in, running the brake lines, fabricating a small plate that will act as a seal between the engine bay and the cockpit while holding the brake lines that go to the pedal box, fabricating a small plate that will hold all the master cylinders, and figuring out the wiring. Most of the wiring I already have figured out, just have a few things I need to research further. I’m hoping to do a testfit of the engine shortly after returning from Leavenworth Drive next weekend. I feel I might need to do some grinding in the engine bay to make sure everything fits. I also still need to pound back the firewall & transmission tunnel. Also need to install my clutch and flywheel and mate the transmission up to the engine. Slowly but surely its all coming along nicely!

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Working...
                                X