No announcement yet.

E30ls1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, in the end I think you'll be even happier.

I just went through something similar where I got a junk yard motor for a jeep I had sitting here with a blown engine that I wanted to make run and sell. The junk yard short block was also partially blown up. Messed up ring lands on one piston, so it may have run for a while, but that's no good.

Anyway, I rebuilt that motor and the parts were almost as cheap as LS parts. So awesome! Haha... Hopefully have 'er running in a couple of days if I can bear the cold of my garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjabo View Post
      Yep, in the end I think you'll be even happier.

I just went through something similar where I got a junk yard motor for a jeep I had sitting here with a blown engine that I wanted to make run and sell. The junk yard short block was also partially blown up. Messed up ring lands on one piston, so it may have run for a while, but that's no good.

Anyway, I rebuilt that motor and the parts were almost as cheap as LS parts. So awesome! Haha... Hopefully have 'er running in a couple of days if I can bear the cold of my garage.
      Keep me updated man! Sorry to hear about that though,

2008 BMW E93 335i
      1987 BMW E30 325es
      e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

No, it's not bad, I enjoy building motors and I always expect everything to be junk. Lol... It's just that if you buy a bad M60/62 that's supposed to be good, the parts are a lot more expensive.

Hope you can sort yours out quickly and inexpensively!!

Comment

No, it's not bad, I enjoy building motors and I always expect everything to be junk. Lol... It's just that if you buy a bad M60/62 that's supposed to be good, the parts are a lot more expensive.

Hope you can sort yours out quickly and inexpensively!!
          Its funny you said that I just rode in a 5 series with a m62 haha
          He was telling me how everything is so damn expensive

2008 BMW E93 335i
          1987 BMW E30 325es

Comment

That dude is right from my experience!! The funny thing is that I really like my M62... I can't explain it. Rationally I think it makes a ton more sense to go to an LS, especially if you're swapping into an e30 instead of choosing between swapping to an LS or keeping with the M62 in the car it came in like my e39. That is a little harder call to make if you want to keep the creature comforts of the car.

Sorry for "off-tracking" your thread!

Comment

That dude is right from my experience!! The funny thing is that I really like my M62... I can't explain it. Rationally I think it makes a ton more sense to go to an LS, especially if you're swapping into an e30 instead of choosing between swapping to an LS or keeping with the M62 in the car it came in like my e39. That is a little harder call to make if you want to keep the creature comforts of the car.

Sorry for "off-tracking" your thread!
              Haha man its all good !
              Idk I feel like I already have a bimmer with a BMW engine (my 335) so why not shake some enthusiasts minds up and put a ls1 in it. (Plus its a lot cheaper than the s5x motors would be)

2008 BMW E93 335i
              1987 BMW E30 325es

Comment

Bad luck; you got swindled. As above, at least the LS parts are not expensive and the engine is simple to work on. No special tools other than a torque wrench.

The cam chain may have gotten stretched when the valve train got mangled. Check the crank and cam sprockets also.

Once on the road all will be good!
                E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
                E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
                E30LS1@gmail.com
                e30ls1.com

Comment

When you planning on getting the motor together?

Comment

Originally posted by 90e30ls View Post
                    When you planning on getting the motor together?
                    The heads are at the machine shop now...so now the wait game.

Good thing is, my steering shaft came in and should be putting that in soon.
                    I really wish I had a welder or something so I could learn how to work on the rust spots in the car (not many)

2008 BMW E93 335i
                    1987 BMW E30 325es

Comment

Which steering shaft you end up going with?

Comment

Originally posted by 90e30ls View Post
                        Which steering shaft you end up going with?
                        a friend of mine put a 302 in his e30, so he has the left over pieces to put inbetween the u joints so all i needed was the u-joints

17mm-54x3/4" DD stainless steel u-joint from flamingriver.com

Comment

Subbed!
                          Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Heads are at the machine shop. Just went by there today and he was telling me all the things he could do to make it faster and I'm over here looking at my negative bank account thinking about it haha. But here's one of the Valves in my motor that was supposed to be in perfect condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just went by the machine shop because I forgot to give him the retainers for my springs. So he showed me how he cleaned up the heads and they look great!

New one already came in

Comment

Those pictures came out huge lol. Let me see if I can get them smaller or do y'all want the pics that big?

Here are the rust spots I have encountered

This one is why my carpet got so wet. I honestly don't know how I'm going to fix it when I don't have a welder or any experience with it

Comment

Working...
                                X