US license plate mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US license plate mounting

Got my plates 2 weeks ago for both my BMWs. As I was mounting the plate on my F30, I had an idea. With newer BMWs, you get the plate bracket; I was considering doing that for my wagon. I know the trunk lock is an issue on coupe/sedans so it doesn't exactly line up with the original mounting holes, but I think it may work on the wagon.

For reference, this is what I'm talking about. PN: 51187160607
    -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
    -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

This is what I have, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...51187160607kt/
    Also I have the stock front bracket for the e30 if you want it.

Comment

yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I figured it would mount up no problem.
      -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

I made one from some flat steel stock in the garage. Will take a pic and post.

Cory
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

I went with a very simple solution utilizing the plate filler. Simply take the cover off, place your plate in the center of the space, mark the holes, find a very flat short pan head bolt, drill out 2 or 4 holes, secure the bolt with a nut on the front face, reinstall filler, use acorn nuts to secure plate. Now that the prototype works I'll go get aluminum or stainless fasteners to redo the operation.

Will also take a picture or two when able.

Comment

Originally posted by crash n' burn View Post
            yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I figured it would mount up no problem.
            It works just fine,

Comment

I have the exact oem bracket if you want it. I'll be at Korman open house next month . lmk It will cost you a Beer!
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
              IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

tempting, especially since I have like 4 racks of German beer in my HHG thats getting delivered Friday.

But I just scooped up one off ebay. Korman is soo far.
                -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                  I have the exact oem bracket if you want it. I'll be at Korman open house next month . lmk It will cost you a Beer!

How much for it shipped to 33713?

Comment

just get an e46 rear license plate bracket out of a junkyard. the mount holes line up perfectly.

Comment

Interesting plan of action if I happened to

A. Not live in central NC where there's not a lot of junk yards

B. Not live in central NC where if I owned a mid 80s to mid 2000's Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Honda I'd have zero problem finding a parts car.

C. Not have made this post a month ago and have had a bracket for 3 weeks
                      -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

Glad you found a solution that works for you.

This forum is searchable and having as many answers out there is beneficial to everyone.

You also didn't follow up in the thread saying that you had found a solution or not, or even what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by dooce View Post
                          just get an e46 rear license plate bracket out of a junkyard. the mount holes line up perfectly.
                          That's a great idea, thanks! :)
                          1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                          Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

The rear bracket for the e46 license plate lines up to the holes on the e30 Euro front bumper? Anyone have a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the holes on the rear are the same spacing as those on the front that bracket ought to fit.

It's also worth checking if a front US late model plate bracket will fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X