Timing chain rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
    It also got the $250 slider that makes me go, hmmmm mm m M54....

t

No 24v for me lol. I made this pic for a buddy who told me to go s52. But just imagine its and m54 too

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

If you are going to go to the trouble of breaking open the timing case, I HIGHLY recommend changing to a 1994+ M42 timing case. That (EXPENSIVE) deflector sprocket is a time bomb because either it will break, or the timing case casting that it bolts to will fail. Ask me how I know...

For the most part, the later M42 timing case is a straight bolt-in. You just need to make sure to get the proper gasket that goes between it and the block (see RealOEM). Also, the little guide that it uses instead of the deflector sprocket is way cheaper. Maybe you can return the new sprocket you bought?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
        If you are going to go to the trouble of breaking open the timing case, I HIGHLY recommend changing to a 1994+ M42 timing case. That (EXPENSIVE) deflector sprocket is a time bomb because either it will break, or the timing case casting that it bolts to will fail. Ask me how I know...

For the most part, the later M42 timing case is a straight bolt-in. You just need to make sure to get the proper gasket that goes between it and the block (see RealOEM). Also, the little guide that it uses instead of the deflector sprocket is way cheaper. Maybe you can return the new sprocket you bought?

I'm just gonna keep it how it is and put all new shit in. I dont have time to return everything and wait for other stuff to ship. This is my daily driver and my truck is costing me 100 bucks a week in diesel while this is down and its been down for 3 weeks. Its killing me.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Makes sense. Most likely, it will be fine after a nice full overhaul. The sprocket failure is increasingly common, but it is probably a small percentage of M42's that experience it overall, and probably mostly the ones that had severely neglected timing assemblies (the PO of mine really let it go to hell).

Comment

Makes sense. Most likely, it will be fine after a nice full overhaul. The sprocket failure is increasingly common, but it is probably a small percentage of M42's that experience it overall, and probably mostly the ones that had severely neglected timing assemblies (the PO of mine really let it go to hell).

Yea and I'm doing everything short of a full engine rebuild new cooling system etc. Person who worked on it last at what ever shop the PO took it to managed to over tighten the top rad hose and actually break the neck on it but it never leaked a drop I pulled the top hose and found that wonderful surprise on a rad i thought was still good. Car has 160k on it and I don't drive to much I bet in 5 years It still wont have hit 200k.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Cool. Good work keeping another M42 in good running condition! They are getting harder and harder to find anymore. They will never be S14-rare, but they are unique and neat engines within the E30 realm.

Comment

Cool. Good work keeping another M42 in good running condition! They are getting harder and harder to find anymore. They will never be S14-rare, but they are unique and neat engines within the E30 realm.

I personally love it and mines in a slick top so its that much better for me. They are getting incredibly hard to find especially around my neck of the woods. I need to find another one to have around to rebuild. I like have spare engines

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

So tear down has begun and i got the new guides and what not on but the E clip went flying so i gotta grab one from my buddy tomorrow to finish it up. It honestly didn't look horrible when i took it apart and I would be lying if I said I'm not concerned. There is nothing that indicates a metal on metal situation like I have been hearing at 1900rpm. However the guides are worn and trash.

Hopefully this fixes the issue. Wish me luck! Will post more pics tomorrow of new components on. It was dark by the time I got them on.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Crazy. When you have the deflector sprocket off, give the casting a very close inspection where it bolts on (all the ribs and such). I had a mysterious rattle at ~3000RPM that I could not figure out, and then the casting broke, so I suspect that there was a fracture down there or something which was vibrating.

Comment

Crazy. When you have the deflector sprocket off, give the casting a very close inspection where it bolts on (all the ribs and such). I had a mysterious rattle at ~3000RPM that I could not figure out, and then the casting broke, so I suspect that there was a fracture down there or something which was vibrating.

I did not notice anything when i looked at it but tomorrow will pop the new back off and see if there is anything wrong with the casting for the deflector sprocket.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

great photos. I may have to pull my car's engine at some point and do not often see the insides of the m42 timing case. Did you replace any of the lower gears?
                        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                          great photos. I may have to pull my car's engine at some point and do not often see the insides of the m42 timing case. Did you replace any of the lower gears?

Yes i replaced the deflector sprocket(idler gear) as it has a ball bearing in the center. The crank gear was kept as it looked fine.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Got it all fired up and she purrrs its runs so amazing. While i did all this i put in a new cooling system and cleaned the mess under the intake. Also added some 4 pintle injectors and a Sssquid chip. Its a completely different animal now.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Timing chain rattle?

Seems as though my rattle has came back but doesn't sound like its in the timing system. Its right at about 2 now and is coming from the front of the engine compartment. I'm wondering if my radiator isnt vibration against the core support? It does have so back and forth movement so i think its possible? I will try and keep it stable and see what happens but for now i gotta get a new rad cause i was sent a defective one. It leaks at the end tank :/

Last edited by ThatOneEuroE30; 09-17-2017, 08:36 AM.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Found the rattle it was the spark plug wire heat shield vibrating. Also the rad isn't leaking Per say the bleeder valve just leaks in the tank is running out but when i closed the bleeder valve all is well no leaks or anything its perfect. So i'm just gonna run it

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
                                X