now all of us are confused too...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      I'd check out the CPS as AK said.

I went through the same problem he stated; really bad ignition cut at ~4.5k with a failing CPS

Also, is that an O2 sensor I see hanging by the strut tower?

Yes it is, needs to be extended. And sorry to confuse everyone, car is a 89 with headers, intake, e36 trans and has the cluster of an E I’m confused, and now I’m confusing more people... what have I done lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      86' E30 Plenty Slow And kinda Ugly

sigpic

Comment

was the o2 on the car when you were revving it up?
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Friend bought a car, confused on motor.

was the o2 on the car when you were revving it up?

No, driving it back it was not connected

sigpic

Comment

I've never had any experience running a car with an o2 connected, but not attached to the exhaust, maybe someone can chime in and say if that would cause the engine to fall on its face up.
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I've never had any experience running a car with an o2 connected, but not attached to the exhaust, maybe someone can chime in and say if that would cause the engine to fall on its face up.

It’s not really falling on its face it’s really just stopping at 4500 and bouncing which is why I say that’s what I belive to be hitting rev limiter, without an o2 the car just runs baseline air to fuel I believe?

sigpic

Comment

Car pulls pretty hard all the way up to the bouncing

sigpic

Comment

Get the model number off the DME.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

ETA vs Super ETA?

Comment

so it's a 325i with an e cluster.
                      i'm not professional mechanic but i think you need to use the correct cluster or at least tach with the 325i plug.

does this thing feel like it takes a long time to reach 4k?

Comment

Red intake and hot air intake air filter-

there's your 25 bhp right there.

Plus burgundy's free-oxygen sensor? That's thing's gotta be a rocket!

Looks like he got a bitsa there.

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

there has been lots of hillbilly engineering done to that car. i agree with lowr3vin.

bmw did not make an "e" in 1989. someone probably needed to replace cluster and found this incorrect one in a local junk yard. most likely, it still has the "e" coding plug which would limit the revs to 5k.

fix the o2 sensor. check the dme to see which one it has. if the last 3 digits are 173 or similar, its an "i" computer.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            there has been lots of hillbilly engineering done to that car. i agree with lowr3vin.

bmw did not make an "e" in 1989. someone probably needed to replace cluster and found this incorrect one in a local junk yard. most likely, it still has the "e" coding plug which would limit the revs to 5k.

fix the o2 sensor. check the dme to see which one it has. if the last 3 digits are 173 or similar, its an "i" computer.

Okay thank you, I know they didn’t make E’s in 89 but when I saw the tach and where red line was I was just unsure what was swapped lol thanks everyone I’ll look into everything, like I said I’ll probably be extending his o2 next weekend and we will see what we can find out!

sigpic

Comment

The best thing you can do OP is look at the vin tag on the driver's side door jam to see the model. But yes, this all sounds like some fuckery.

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                                The best thing you can do OP is look at the vin tag on the driver's side door jam to see the model. But yes, this all sounds like some fuckery.

Vin on door states it is in fact an 89 325i everything else does in fact point to magic

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X